updates

Brattina88

It's been a while since I've posted last. I just wanted to give you guys some updates on me & my pets.
The day after my birthday... July 27th we had to put Nikki to sleep. Her health has been deteriorating, her arthritus got so bad she couldn't stand, she had sores from laying around all day. It got to the point to where she couldn't even stand up if she needed to go to the bathroom, she just went while she was laying there. We had another incident where there was blood in her urine for a couple days, and the vet couldn't figure out why. I'm just now getting able to talk about it a little bit, but not much. I've clammed up.
If anyone remembers my post a long time ago about a rash that Maddie had, that I was concerned about and the vet said it was no big deal... Well, it turns out she has skin allergies (I pretty much decided that myself and then presented it to the new vet, who agreed). She's on medication and is getting better. I don't know how long she's going to have to take the pills. It depends on if her allergy is seasonal, otherwise its possible she'll have to take it for like forever.
Its been very different for Maddie and Carly. They are acting different, we are getting through it the best we can. Naturally Maddie is taking the alpha role. She seems anxious and unsure sometimes. She's been looking at me for directions constantly, and we've grown closer, which I didn't even think was possible. Carly is being a brat, she's challenged Maddie a couple of times. They got into a fight a couple weeks ago. I watched them, waiting to intervine if nessisary, but Maddie put her in her place and then let her go. It was more noise than anything.
Put simply, there has been an upset in the pack, and we're all trying to get over it. Its so hard.
Last week for a brief moment I saw Maddie play like she used to. A stray dog wandered into the kennel. He was the ugliest dog I've ever seen, his hair was wirey and everywhere, his color was the exact same as Maddie's. Some type of terrier mix. They played. I enjoyed watching them.
Its been suggested that I start fostering again. Or that its about time to get another dog, this time a dog chosen to be a play mate for Maddie. Idunno. With this, and work being as crazy as it is my whole world seems to have been turned upside down. My friend keeps metioning a pit bull type dog that I could probably help. I think she's in shock I haven't lept at the chance, but its not that easy. . . :(

I've been thinking about you over the last week or so. You've been away far too long!

I'm so sorry to hear about Nikki. It's hard, even when you know she's had a long, wonderful life - we just don't want to live without them. There's a hole in your heart and in your everyday existence.

On the lighter side, you might want to seriously consider going ahead with another dog . . . before your Mom gets another wild hair and decides she's going to get one! :eek: I'm guessing she finally chilled on the whole Boxer idea and some of the other wild notions?

Barb04

Super Moderator
So sorry to hear what happened. Nikki will always be with you in your heart.

Brattina88

Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me. I'm actually surprised; I've only had to deal with one idiot who put me down with comments all day and said the infamous line "its just a dog" It seems it takes times like this to make you realize your true friends.

It feels like its been a long time since it happened, and yet at the same time it feels like yesterday. Whoa, that made a lot of sense, but then again, who makes sense when they get 3.5hrs of sleep and then stay up until 11 the next day? :p
Today my friend (the same one who asked me to help a pit a while back) called me and asked me to come with her to a dog fair. She said she was concerned it was a puppy mill or something. I don't know. All I know is it took me 2mins to go into "cute puppy" mode and return to my normal dog crazy obsessive self. She was so thrilled to see my reaction she wanted to buy a $400 cocker that was so tiny I thought she was 4 or 5wks, and the breeder said that she was 10wks.
I told her no thanks, that I love all of the puppies, but I'd rather rescue than support that. She beamed at me and hugged me -- I was like 'Why are you touching me?!' :D "Because you're back"
:rolleyes: What a wierd co-worker
We both went home, and then she called me again, telling me about this brindle dog [which wasn't what I intended when I said that I'd rather rescue]....... Who is currently laying at my feet (that are quite numb now) and I'm not sure if I am going to regret this.
She's a little taller than Maddie, super skinny, a little nervous and jumpy, but extra friendly. She has hyper spurts, and then acts like she's really old and calm, and seems to be very well behaved. I only have to tell her No once for each situation, and she will not do it again.
The best part is how well she's getting along with the other two. Only she almost stepped on Maddie today while Maddie was sleeping. I swear, Maddie didn't even open her eyes, and she growled softly. She took off running like someone had hit her.
Her tag said "Mix", because if it would've said what everyone thinks she is she wouldn't have been adoptable. Pit. And proud.

I'll post pictures tomorrow... you guys can have fun guessing what other breeds are in her ;)

Paupau

I am a new comer here,So I know nothing about your Nikki,but when i read this post,i was so unhappy,i am sure that nikki is your sweet baby,and i can understand how deep is your love for nikki.However what i want to say is the don't be too sorrowful,i am sure that your tomorrow will be more wonderful.god bless you~~ :D

Members online

No members online now.