Help with an akita

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My husband and I regularly dogsit my neighbor's akita, Jake. In January, my neighbor will be deployed to Kuwait for four months, and he asked if we could take care of Jake for him. Jake is the best akita I've ever met in regard to temperament. He has absolutely no aggression towards strangers, has wonderful manners, and loves playing with Zeus. The problem: Jake HATES cats. He has even killed one in the past. We have two cats, and I do not want to risk them around Jake.

When we watched Jake before, it was only for a couple of days. He was always kept at my neighbor's house or out in the yard. But I'd feel horrible leaving a dog outside or alone in an empty house for 4 months. My neighbor is heartbroken at the idea of leaving his dog, and he said that he doesn't trust anyone but us to dogsit his baby.

Any ideas? Would it be all right to leave Jake strictly outdoors for 4 months? Or should I try teaching Jake to tolerate cats? I figure I have a couple of months before this happens, so I have time to think.

You can work on Jake's cat tolerance. They can be amazingly receptive to the concept of not eating family, you know. My Bear (GSD/Akita) had obviously had a few cat fights in his past before he came to live with me and Gonzo (big scar over his eye that I pulled a cat fang out of once), but he understood very quickly that Gonzo was family and they got along famously.

Shut off part of the house for the cats when you're gone and leave Jake in the other part. Do the same at night until you can feel assured that Jake will leave the cats in peace.

It's a wonderful thing you're doing for Jake's person. It just breaks my heart to hear of the service people who are deployed and think their animals are being taken care of, only to come home and find they've been ditched at a shelter somewhere and are long dead or gone to another home.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
So, what would be the best way to teach Jake cat tolerance? That's something I've never had to deal with in an adult dog before. I'm open to trying anything.

A good way to start is to let them sniff each other under closed doors. Also make sure you've got some cat-scent on your clothes when you are playing with Jake. It would be a good idea to start letting your cats get you well scented and go visit Jake now, so that he associates the smell with good visits and fun. Gradually, you can hold Jake on a leash and let him see the cats, petting him and giving him treats so he associates cats with the good stuff.

Athe

Renee is correct in allowing the dog to slowly get used to the scent. Cats are usually pretty intune to another animals predatory drive and know when they are being stalked. Most cats (unlike small dogs) will freeze when they realize they can't climb or get under something. I would keep baby gates up while getting the pet aquainted. When my Rottweiler started ignoring my cats behind the baby gate I knew then it was time to lift the gate up and let her have full access to the entire house. If the dog is sitting there staring with head slightly down this is eye stalking...be careful at this point..some dogs with high prey drive will eye stalk the so called prey item and will be as quite as can be so as not to scare them away...one of the reasons small dogs get attacked and sometimes killed...some owners will say there was no warning...there is, but, you have to watch for the body language. :)
Always make sure your cats have "safe" places to get to in case the Akita goes into predatory drift...cats are pretty good at reading other predators body language far better than some dogs.
Also remember that although a dog may get used to a cat inside the house...a cat outdoors can be a completely different story...the cat they learned to love inside the home can become prey outside.

Saje

Island dweller
I find that my dogs are tolerant of my cats only. Everytime there is a new cat around they must chase it and push it's buttons. I don't think they'd go as far as killing a cat but they do like to have fun with the new ones. I always make sure my cats have a safe place to go. At our new house I'm going to be putting a baby gate at the top of the basement stairs. That way if the dogs are hot on the cats heals they can scamper down the stairs to safety. They always have a cat tree and other high places to get up on too.

I'd do what Renee recommended and keep them separate. Let them get used to each other under the door. Take your time. Your cat may not like being locked in a room or a section of the house but it's in everyone's best interest.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Akita's inherently hate cats. I would never trust him. And if he has killed one for get it no way I would trust him with strange cats. Now if he had grown up with his own different he still would not like strange ones but he would know his own. Thats different. But who knows maybe with some good de-sensitizing training he could be made to tolerate them doubtful but you could try.

I probably shouldn't do this, but I will 'fess up to the way I have dealt with cats and dogs as a blended family.

NOTICE: I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS. I confess I do things strangely, lol, and would never, ever tell anyone that this will work without fail for them.

Before I bring the new family member in I sit down nose to snout with the present member(s) and tell them what is going to happen, who is coming, that the new animal is family and must be treated as familiy, that no chasing, scaring or hurting in any way shape or form is allowed, and that they must learn to love and protect each other from anyone or anything outside the family.

Then I bring the new one in, sit down with the new member in my arms, and everyone gets introduced.

And that's the end of it . . .

I told you I live in a strange world all my own . . .

Julie

I am back again.
Personally I would try to find an alternative to the situation. Since you love your cats I would not try them as guenia (sp) pigs.

I would definately take the responsiblity of the service man's dog, but maybe you can find an easier way.

Do you have access to your neighbors house? Maybe you could use one room of your house for your cats to stay in, maybe 3 days a week while the dog could stay in the rest of your house. Then on the other days your cats get the full run of your house, while his dog stays at his house, and you just go over there and take care of him, walk him, give plenty attention, and let him out for bathroom breaks. I would never deny the trust this man is giving you, while he is serving our country, but I also find it hard to trust a dog, with new cats, that has been known to kill cats. (although I don't have a cat anymore.)

You could let the dog out for the day, then go to neighbors house and put him in at night.
If you have access to his house, the dog would not have to be a strictly outside dog for while he is gone.

Just a few thoughts, but only you know the details of the whole situation. I wish you the best, and I hope the neighbor returns safely, to find his dog happy and healthy.

Members online

No members online now.