The dog musing/vent thread

Took Chomper hiking with my aunt and my cousin's dog, Lucy, yesterday. Holy workout. Was a beautiful view, especially by the lake in the woods! For being a puppy herding breed, Chomper really gets worn out fast though!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Holycrap we just had two squirrels fall about 20 feet into the middle of my yard on top of Hank. I think it startled him so bad first because a branch fell along with them. But he almost got them and then climbed part of the tree to get to them.

Scared me about half to death.

Leia nearly gave me a heart attack yesterday.

She is usually always supervised because she is a 6 month old terrier mix and by nature loves to look for trouble. I always knew she had a "taste" for tissue paper. Never eating it..But shredding it has always been fun for her.

Well yesterday she took it to a terrifying level! I usually leave all doors closed inside the house while she is running loose. Yesterday I had a brain fart and while gathering laundry from the bedrooms, forgot to shut my bedroom door.

About 30 minutes later a very wobbly and disoriented Leia comes stumbling down the stairs :yikes:. I went into insta panic and assumed she consumed something she shouldn't have. Long story short (talked through with my vet on the phone) I induced vomiting and proceeded to watch her puke up two large wads of tissue/paper towel. I was horrified by what came out of her. My vet told me to keep a close eye on her but that I should have caught her quick enough that she shouldn't have any complications.

After she stopped vomiting I put her in the crate and investigated the house. Sure enough in my bedroom was paper confetti. She had not only gotten into my trash (that only has tissue in it due to me being sick) but a paper towel off a table. I had totally forgotten that the night before I had eaten a peanut butter sandwich which was held by that paper towel. So I think the scent is what tempted her into consuming the paper.

Yes I know I was stupid. Yes I know she now needs stricter supervision. Which she now has as "little miss" is tethered and not allowed out of my sight.

She ate some pumpkin last night and has had two normal poops since the whole debacle. She is also her normal hyper active ornery self today. So I would say that we avoided what could have been a tragedy if I hadn't of acted as fast as I did.

Brattina88

I've been researching researching and researching; breeds, breeders, training clubs in the area, etc. I'm thinking next year, for sure, this is it!
I've got a new job, better pay, decent hours and a nice long break mid-day so puppy wouldn't be alone too long.

So here it goes. I'm approved, Time to put down a deposit. Oh guess what there's two puppies from a current litter available at the end of next month. I can go see them before I decide, if I want.

So why am I hesitating?!?! :eek:
First and foremost Maddie, not knowing the future and what's going to happen/not happen with her, medically and cognitively. The other is my social life (or lack thereof)? aka cedar point and having a dog sitter for 3 dogs vs. 2 ... My mom said she'd watch the puppy, too, buuuut.... I don't know

UGGGHHHH why can't I be more impulsive? :cool: hmph

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I've been researching researching and researching; breeds, breeders, training clubs in the area, etc. I'm thinking next year, for sure, this is it!
I've got a new job, better pay, decent hours and a nice long break mid-day so puppy wouldn't be alone too long.

So here it goes. I'm approved, Time to put down a deposit. Oh guess what there's two puppies from a current litter available at the end of next month. I can go see them before I decide, if I want.

First and foremost Maddie, not knowing the future and what's going to happen/not happen with her, medically and cognitively. The other is my social life (or lack thereof)? aka cedar point and having a dog sitter for 3 dogs vs. 2 ... My mom said she'd watch the puppy, too, buuuut.... I don't know

Is it just because it is so soon? Or a different breeder than you were anticipating? Not impressed with linage or their dogs? Or is it more of puppy stage fright?

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I want a Silken. And a GSD. And an Ibizan. I want a Toller, not just any Toller but specifically the one I met today. Oh and I'll take another Brittany for good measure.

That's not too much to ask, right? :p

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I want a Ridgeback. And a Malinois. And an Ibizan. I want a Toller, not just any Toller. Oh and I'll take another pit bull for good measure.

That's not too much to ask, right? :p
+ bull terrier, dalmatian, border collie, and a few others

Lord help us.

joce

It does not matter how well planned I always have this OMG am I doing the right thing!!!! going through my head and swear I have puppy blues when I bring them home the first week:eek: Its so weird but every time I have brought a dog home it happens:cool:

Brattina88

Is it just because it is so soon? Or a different breeder than you were anticipating? Not impressed with linage or their dogs? Or is it more of puppy stage fright?
I think it was because it was mostly sooner than I anticipated. I have some classes coming up where on top of work I'd be out later at night, and I didn't want to get a puppy and then pawn her off several nights a month.... Also, It's easy to think of xx amount of months before it actually happens but the thought of hey it could be NOW was :eek: LOL
But I do think it was because I wasn't 100% set/sure on the breeder. But this is my first time really going through a real responsible breeder as an adult, so... It's just new to me ;) ya know? And I'm being REALLY picky

I did decide to wait, for now.

It does not matter how well planned I always have this OMG am I doing the right thing!!!! going through my head and swear I have puppy blues when I bring them home the first week:eek: Its so weird but every time I have brought a dog home it happens:cool:
I know!!! Me too! It's totally a puppy thing lol dogs I can handle, but also at the same time with adult dogs I know it's temporary (if I'm fostering) but with a puppy... It's a long term commitment and I want to make the right choice ;)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
This is me, since I hate change of any kind ... I am always all like OMG what did I do! I made a horrible mistake! For the first like ... year off and on xD.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
This is me, since I hate change of any kind ... I am always all like OMG what did I do! I made a horrible mistake! For the first like ... year off and on xD.
I do that too, and not even with puppies... it took me until about the 8 month or 1 year mark to tell Rage that I loved her, and she was a Good Dog. She was like 2.5 when I got her.

Maxy24

I'm head over heels in love with a dog at work, it sort of kills me that I can't take him home. I've never fallen for a dog at work like this before, it's painful.

joce

I do that too, and not even with puppies... it took me until about the 8 month or 1 year mark to tell Rage that I loved her, and she was a Good Dog. She was like 2.5 when I got her.
Yep! Same thing for me with adult fosters. And by the time they go I feel like they have always been there.

I worried when I had my son if I'd go through it since that's an actual thing!!! But nope. Just get the doggy blues.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I actually slipped and told Hank I loved him today. It startled me when it happened. He's a good boy though. I guess I should like...tell my family I have him. I totally haven't told anyone because I knew they'd try to talk me out of it.

xpaeanx

I had started getting into dog conditioning pre-injury... but now post injury I've really had my eyes opened. I'm adding new gym equipment to my personal collection as I can and I added new criteria to my home buying checklist. I now want a full basement that I can convert into a dog training/fitness area.

I would like to get into fitness training for sports dogs(not rehab work though unless I am following a program set up by a clinician).... but I wonder if sports people would go for that?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah Sophia Yin's passing was very unexpected. :(

I told my family about Hank last night... and never heard back lol. Oh well I guess.

Sekah

The Monster.
I had started getting into dog conditioning pre-injury... but now post injury I've really had my eyes opened. I'm adding new gym equipment to my personal collection as I can and I added new criteria to my home buying checklist. I now want a full basement that I can convert into a dog training/fitness area.

I would like to get into fitness training for sports dogs(not rehab work though unless I am following a program set up by a clinician).... but I wonder if sports people would go for that?
Are you on the Canine Conditioning Facebook group? It's a great resource with at least 1-2 people who do it professionally.

xpaeanx

Are you on the Canine Conditioning Facebook group? It's a great resource with at least 1-2 people who do it professionally.
Yes I am. Going through their files for the first time was so eye opening. I know there are people who do it professionally but the impression I got is that they are certified rehab people? If not, I'll have to start digging through the group more I guess!

Members online

No members online now.