Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My boss said Acanas doesn't allow sales nor at-cost sales of their food and she got in trouble selling at cost to a customer. Have you run into that with other companies?
Yes. Well...we get the lowest pricing on our foods because of the volume we do with the distributors. And then our markup is extremely low, to stay competitive. We don't offer sales or quantity/case discounts. For the longest time we were a good $10-15 UNDER other store's pricing for a certain very popular food, and those other stores called the distributor and complained a lot. The company called and threatened to cut us off from it if we didn't raise our prices. Manager said fine, pull it if you want, we'll find something else. Nothing happened. We have remained at the same markup but have had to raise the price due to cost increases. Recently though that company was offering some pretty good deals (due to it's recall, if you want to figure out what company I'm talking about ), and we got a bunch, put it on sale, and got complained about again.

I don't like the politics of pricing and stuff through these companies. Some companies enforce 'minimum advertised price', meaning you cannot sell their product below xx. A certain popular electronic dog collar company enforces this in their mom and pop shops but lets big box stores do what they want, AND offers them lower pricing.

There are also brands that snub us because we are a 'feed store' and they don't want their products in...'feed stores'. And then they find out how big we are and they beg us to take the product...nope.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I think it was THK that was horrible to a friend who tried to sell their food, then they saw her sales and begs her but nope.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post

I know Merrick is making a pretty large push to take over some of that Orijen market as it becomes less and less affordable, and I'm all for it! Love their new products and the company really seems to have gotten their crap together. Plus, $55 for a large bag of grain free food is absolutely competitive.
I actually just switched to Merrick Grain Free and I could NOT be happier with it. It's decently priced and the dogs are doing wonderfully on it.

After the last TOTW recall (Cara got really sick right around that time, and while I know it was probably a coincidence I refuse to feed it.), I switched to Acana and it was okay. Cara wasn't maintaining weight on it though, and I was having to get it shipped so I decided to see what I could find locally. Came across Merrick in TSC and the rest is history.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet