The dog musing/vent thread

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
As the days get colder and shorter, Megatron practically hides when she sees me fetching the dogs' leashes, and Cohen has more energy than she knows what to do with (and I have less daylight hours to drain it!).
I literally was laying on the floor last night while Payton chomped all over my hand and arm because I didn't know what else to do with his energy. He was quite happy to lay there and make wookie sounds and chew on me so I let him.

I kept trying to make the other dogs play with him. PEPPER GET YOUR BROTHER. PEPPER. GET YOUR BROTHER. PAYTON JUMP UP ON PEPPER. GOOD BOY. NOW PEPPER GET YOUR BROTHER. Nope nope nope. And Auggie was like "nope gonna chew this sheep toy by myself k thx." So I gave up and lay there while he tried to devour me. Yaaaaay.

I really could do with just one more hour of daylight. I don't think that's asking a lot!

xpaeanx

I'm having the same fall problems. Also when I have time to train things it rains... When I'm behind on things it's sunny and nice outside.

/sigh. Need indoor training space now!

Dekka

Just try me..
Leave for the US after work tomorrow to get PUPPEH

Hank's displays of enthusiasm are kind of... hilarious.

We're working impulse control out the back door. I asked him if he wanted to go potty and he ran and did a good 4' jump, landed all 4 feet on the middle of the back door then landed in a perfect sit. Because he knows he has to sit to be let out.

Then I went to give him his frozen kong and he jumped on top of his wire crate instead of into it.

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:
Welcome to my life with JRTs. So enthusiastic. Dekka ends up on wire crates often in excitement (and he is pretty low key)

Picklepaige

I'm teaching Finn to do a leg rebound. I have NO idea what I am doing. He is not a dog to naturally want to jump on you, and I hate jumping so I've never encouraged it, so the very first session was pretty much just me getting him to step on my lap while I was sitting.

I'm not really sure what to reward for or when to reward. I did a video of the first session, so I'll post it here for critique, because like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing :D

Katem

I literally was laying on the floor last night while Payton chomped all over my hand and arm because I didn't know what else to do with his energy. He was quite happy to lay there and make wookie sounds and chew on me so I let him.

I kept trying to make the other dogs play with him. PEPPER GET YOUR BROTHER. PEPPER. GET YOUR BROTHER. PAYTON JUMP UP ON PEPPER. GOOD BOY. NOW PEPPER GET YOUR BROTHER. Nope nope nope. And Auggie was like "nope gonna chew this sheep toy by myself k thx." So I gave up and lay there while he tried to devour me. Yaaaaay.

I really could do with just one more hour of daylight. I don't think that's asking a lot!
I was trying the same thing with Pig and Badger last night. Strangely enough it was Badger who was well...badgering me. He WOULD NOT SETTLE THE EFF DOWN. Pig was too comfortable cuddling under the blanket with me to entertain him. Apparently she wasn't in the mood to be trampled, which is his favorite thing to do to her when he's got the crazies.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm teaching Finn to do a leg rebound. I have NO idea what I am doing. He is not a dog to naturally want to jump on you, and I hate jumping so I've never encouraged it, so the very first session was pretty much just me getting him to step on my lap while I was sitting.

I'm not really sure what to reward for or when to reward. I did a video of the first session, so I'll post it here for critique, because like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing :D
That is exactly how it was with Juno. Hardest part was getting her to just put her feet on me. Once she was comfortable with that the rest was easy. I started the same way with just rewarding her for putting her front feet on me, and once she was good at that started encouraging her to do more, and would reward for pretty much any movement of her back feet.

It was frustrating and at first I was just like, ok I'm not doing this with her anymore. But once we had that breakthrough where she jumped on my lap, it was smooth sailing!

Slick

Kristina

So, I am no expert by any means (if anything, I am a total newb), but this is what worked for Leo. He learned it in two training sessions after I found a useful video on youtube.

Step 1: Put blanket on chair/couch. Get dog to jump up and immediately down from chair/couch.

Step 2: Sit on chair/couch, put blanket OVER self. Get dog to jump up and immediately down

Step 3: Remove blanket while continuing to sit. Get dog to jump up and immediately down.

Step 4-more: Start with wall sits and then slowly transition higher and higher.

Leo never wanted to jump on my lap. But when I got the tip online to use a blanket, he transitioned seamlessly.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Leave for the US after work tomorrow to get PUPPEH

Welcome to my life with JRTs. So enthusiastic. Dekka ends up on wire crates often in excitement (and he is pretty low key)
And now he fetched the ball and jumped up on the top of the couch and on my head. LOL

It's amusing.

Also yesterday I had this conversation:

'Is he a jack russell?'

"I don't really know what breed he is.'

'He's definitely part jack russell. He has jack russell ears'
Welcome to Pip's world, lol.

"What kind of dog is that?"
"I don't know, just a mix!"
"Oh, he must be an XYZ!" (usually whatever breed they happen to have)

My husband and I were making up outlandish breed names for a while (the Georgia Black and White, the Southern Waveherder) but sometimes people believe you and get all excited and want to know all about your breed and then I'd feel bad.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes, I am finding no one ever seems to take 'I don't know' as an answer. They seem desperate to make him into SOMETHING or another.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I like it when people don't believe me about my guys.

"Is that a Shiba?"
"No, it's a Finnish Spitz."
"It looks so much like a Shiba. Is it mixed?"
"...Nope, it's a purebred Finnish Spitz."
"Yeah my friend had a Shiba that looked just like it!"

Uhhhhhhhhhh.

My absolute favorite was a guy who comes to our dog park with English Setters.

On one visit he told me "CLEARLY that dog has some English setter in him!"

Then I saw him a few weeks later and he asked me what kind of dog Pip was, and I can't remember exactly what I said but part of it was maybe he had some English setter, and the guy got all offended and basically was all "no way that dog has ES in him."

lol whut?

I had Hudson with us when we went to pick out our pumpkins. The older gentleman that runs the place was very convinced that Hudson was NOT an English Shepherd because he wasn't black & tan. He was certain that Hudson was a BC because he is black & white. The man even went so far to ask if I had papers on him. Props for knowing what an ES is since most people just kind of nod their head like they know what I'm talking about. And I know that back in the day, a few breeders really pushed for black & tan dogs (thought they were better herders), but don't argue with me when I tell you what kind of dog I own.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Ran all 3 dogs in agility today. It was amazing.

Appropriate to their skill level and health of course but ****, it was spectacular. Summer did great full courses and weaves, Mia did some small sequences and was rocking it, and Hank met tunnels today and went from being terrified to zipping through them all sorts of ways.

Members online

No members online now.