Gracie and Cooper...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Mike and I have decided to try to find a new home for Gracie and Cooper. I saw this coming when we first took them in last year and I wish we would have done it then, but I can understand why he didn't want to due to the situation/emotions involved. Regardless...we think it would be best for everyone to place them this summer. Mike will be finishing the enlistment process likely in the next two weeks and we will know 100% for sure we can't keep them at that time, but I wanted to go ahead and start putting out feelers.

We are still really, really hoping to keep them in the family, especially Gracie, as Mike's Grandma remembers her and really enjoys it when we bring her for visits in the nursing home. We are hoping my Grandma will be taking Gracie. What we aren't sure about is whether or not she'll take Cooper as well. I think she's going to try them both for a week, but Cooper may not be quite what she needs in a dog at her stage in life. My mom was going to take him, but since my sister brought home a puppy, Cooper will NOT work in the household.

We're still going to try our absolute hardest to figure out a place for them with immediate family members, but if that fails we are going to have to consider other options.

Would any Chazzers be interested, or know someone who is interested, in adopting one of them (most likely Cooper?). If we end up needing a place for Gracie as well, I'll add a little blurb about her, but I think Cooper is really the only uncertain one right now.

Here is my little blurb about him:

Cooper is a 3 year old, 6 pound, neutered male Yorkie. Up to date on rabies, DHLPP, bordetella, parasite free, on flea/tick prevention, and on heartworm prevention. He had a full panel of bloodwork run last year when he was neutered, too. He's happy and healthy. :) He will be due for vaccines in July, and I can update those if needed.

Describing his personality is hard because he's just so...Cooper. He is very submissive and will go from being a spunky little dog to a belly up/cowering position at the flip of a coin if he thinks you are unhappy with him. I swear he has not been abused (quite the contrary), but he apparently can't cope with conflict very well. I haven't been able to figure out what his "ZOMG, don't kill me!" triggers are, because some days he's just fine, others, every word we say means his death is imminent.

That being said, he's a fun little dog. He's not a yappy dog in the sense that all noises must be barked at, but he is a talkative dog. When he plays with you, when you are talking with him, when he's excited, he will vocalize (which rangers from a very tolerable bark, to a cute little rooooo-roo-roo). He is very athletic and loves to run around and play. Although he never really has quite figured out how to play properly with toys (he likes to taunt you with a toy and then go and hide it...), he loves to wrestle with your feet or hands. He also goes bonkers for a laser pointer.

He is good with other dogs, BUT big dogs scare him half to death in close quarters. If they leave him alone he ignores them, but he will bare his teeth and snap if they intrude in his bubble. He is good with cats as long as the cats stand up to him. He was even okay with Dameon (my ferret) under direct supervision.

He is great with all people, big or small. He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body when it comes to people. I have never worried about him EVER biting. Ever. Even when I trim his nails, which he hates with every fiber of his being. He loves to sit on laps and cuddle. He does well at the vets and groomers, and rides well in the car.

He's crate trained, knows basic household manners (although doesn't really know any commands per say), and is fine with thunderstorms/gunshots/fireworks. He is also pretty good about being off leash. I wouldn't want him off leash in a high foot traffic area, but otherwise he's fine. He's quite the athletic little guy, and although I worry about him overheating in really hot weather, he loves to run around and have fun. He is not fond of water, but we made him go swimming in the pool with us once and he didn't die. :p

The bad:
He does have some separation anxiety. This shows itself by him messing in the house when he is left alone if not crated, and if he thinks he's going to be left behind from a really fun activity (aka, if we take the other dogs and leave him), he cries in his crate for a few minutes.

He is also not 100% housetrained. Most of it is due to his separation anxiety (if you even step out of the house and leave him alone for a few minutes, he will likely pee somewhere), but some of it is just him being a Yorkie that was never given any decent form of housetraining until we took him in at two years of age. He will ask to go outside (comes up to you and whines/barks), but if you miss his cue there is a chance he will go in the house.

He also has a bit of a sensitive stomach, and if he eats something he's not used to, he will have diarrhea. Which is loads of fun to clean up. :cool:

A picture I snapped of him yesterday:

I'm located in Lafayette, IN. I would be more than willing to help transport him if need be. The goal is to place him in an awesome home that will appreciate all of his Cooperness. If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me.

We probably won't be ready to place either him or Gracie for at least another month, if not longer...but I just want to have something lined up for when that time comes.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
ow jesus , i so wish i could , my girls have been begging for a yorkie.
i will ask around though , a friend of mine was looking into a rescue the other day . good luck with the family !

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I want Gracie. :) But I hope someone in the family can take her (and Coop!). If you can't find a home for her though, let me know! I don't know how my dad would react to me asking (probably a "no way" but hey, he said that about Chloe at first lol!) but I can try! If only I was in my own place!

Good luck I hope everything works out!!

milos_mommy

Well, today I learned Cooper isn't a dachshund...

I have no idea why I thought he was?? Is Cynder??

He sounds like a great little dog, though. He shouldn't be hard to place, I hope he can go with family or at least a friend.

joce

ugh! I have so much yorkie want but I can't:( He wouldn't like the days when no one is home for hours.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My Grandma will be having a "trial period" with them next week, I do believe. She's going to see how she does with two dogs, and how they get along with her. Then she'll go from there and decide if two will be okay, or if she will only want one of them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dogs will be on their best behavior and she'll love them.

So good vibes needed!

ugh! I have so much yorkie want but I can't:( He wouldn't like the days when no one is home for hours.
He *is* used to being in a crate for 8-10 hours a day, due to our work/school schedules. But he also has Gracie as his buddy during that time. I don't think he'd like it if he were the only one.

Well, today I learned Cooper isn't a dachshund...

I have no idea why I thought he was?? Is Cynder??
And yes, Gracie is the Daschund. Cooper is a Yorkie, and Cynder is a Lab/Spaniel mutt dog. :)

Members online

No members online now.