Harnesses?

Toller_08

Nothing to add to this thread other than I think I need to find one of those Freedom harnesses. I don't use harnesses a lot, but I have been using an Easy Walk for Journey and I hate how it fits her. The dobes also have Easy Walks that I use on long hikes, but again, I don't care for the fit. That Freedom harness looks much better.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I <3 the Freedom harness for no pull and every day - all of my dogs have one, even Z who doesn't need the no pull option! LOL They fit more dogs more comfortably than others imo and are more effective for leash training, too. They also don't chafe like some of the plain nylon harnesses - the girth strap is velvet lined.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Nothing to add to this thread other than I think I need to find one of those Freedom harnesses. I don't use harnesses a lot, but I have been using an Easy Walk for Journey and I hate how it fits her. The dobes also have Easy Walks that I use on long hikes, but again, I don't care for the fit. That Freedom harness looks much better.
Try Sit Happens! Or Mungo's Books.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I have an easy walk, don't like it though.

I have had hands on Ruffwears' Double Back and Webmaster harnesses and I would purchase either one of those if I needed it in a heartbeat.

I've never put either one of them on a dog though, so I don't know how difficult it would be either.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have a couple easy walk harnesses.. they are ok, but they tend to chafe Cricket and I can't get them to fit Joey right.

Joey has an EZYDOG harness in black which is mainly only used for dog parks (so I have something else to grab if I need to catch him) and for hiking.

Other than that I don't use harnesses much. I would like to get Cricket one that doesn't chafe or bother her skin in any way. She always ends up with red armpits even if I loosen the harness so its not putting much pressure there.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I have an easy walk, don't like it though.

I have had hands on Ruffwears' Double Back and Webmaster harnesses and I would purchase either one of those if I needed it in a heartbeat.

I've never put either one of them on a dog though, so I don't know how difficult it would be either.
They're not bad to put on but fit can be troublesome if you have a deep chested dog with a shorter body... Izzie's tends to cut in at her waist where her thighs hit if that makes sense. They are excellent for stabilizing dogs though and doing physio work!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We used to sell the freedom harnesses in Vegas, I really liked them. I have an easywalk-no pull one and I hate the way it impedes the shoulders, I am always worried I am damaging the shoulders so I only use it if I need a quick throw it on and no pull option. Sloan knows how to step out of it in .5 seconds, heads up.

The Julius k9s are cool but not what I would recommend as a mobility harness. They pull off rather easily and imo are stiff. For looks there are few out there that are cooler considering the name plates but functionality doesn't impress me. We sold those as well in Vegas.

For a really efficient mobility harness I would look at the ruffwear or a tactical harness. It sounds silly but with the hiking we've done and the need to literally pull our dogs up or lower them down by harnesses I haven't seen anything with better support. They aren't cheap though, unfortunately.

Here is Sloan in a tactical harness:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/293253_921482399958_91141667_n.jpg (Giant photo)

We also sometimes leave doggy seatbelts on Shamoo for help when she's on a slippy floor or going for a walk where she may tire easily but they don't really support the rear which is where she's weak.

amympls

I use the EasyWalk. It's simple to put on, and just puts pressure on the chest, not the neck. I've used several harnesses, and I really like it!

Flyinsbt

I just dug this back up because I wanted to share a photo of Pirate in his Julius K9 harness with his new labels:

Sadly, the camera washed out the color, so you can't see how bright the hot pink labels are, and the true turquoise color of the harness. :lol-sign:

I agree that the Julius K9 isn't the best walking harness. It's really easy to put on and take off. I got one primarily so that if I wanted to take Pi somewhere that dogs technically aren't allowed, they might mistake him for a service dog. You know, without actually claiming him as a service dog, since that would be wrong. (not like a restaurant or anywhere like that. Outdoor kind of things.) I don't know that I ever will, though. But the harness is snazzy.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Haha!! I love Pi's harness!

What size is Pirates harness? I'm on their website and thinking Saxon would be a small, does that sound right?

PawsibleDogs

Crazy Dog Nerd
I love my dogs' Walkeeez harnesses. My only nitpick is the fleece behind the elbows tends to twist some (the strap it pads stays put though), but it doesn't seem to bother the dogs at all. I agree with Erin as far as Y chest style harnesses.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I asked Izzie's chiro when I went up to visit about the comfort flex harness and she said that it doesn't sit low enough so she doesn't feel it causes an issue with most dogs. The easy walk ones however she doesn't like as they tend to sit right across the biceps. She also said that the strap is wide enough that it doesn't dig in either.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I got one primarily so that if I wanted to take Pi somewhere that dogs technically aren't allowed, they might mistake him for a service dog.

That's kind of... insulting. If pet dogs are not allowed, pet dogs are not allowed. Hoping someone mistakes your dog for a service dog, while taking him somewhere you're knowingly not allowed to, is no better than saying he's a service dog when he's not.

MicksMom

That's kind of... insulting. If pet dogs are not allowed, pet dogs are not allowed. Hoping someone mistakes your dog for a service dog, while taking him somewhere you're knowingly not allowed to, is no better than saying he's a service dog when he's not.
:hail: Glad I'm not the only one that bothered. You know how we all complain about irresposnible pet owners making it harder for us to take our dogs someplace? Doing something like that is just going to make it harder for legit service dogs to have access to places, even with the ADA laws.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I would go with ANY product over a WWW harness. Their "customer service" is a joke, and when my harness was manufactured improperly I was basically told that I was lying. When I provided pictures of how screwed up it was I was told that was normal.

I had three of them - two were great, one sucked and the customer service was so insultingly awful that I would never purchase from them again.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I think... I'm going to try a SureFit. Mainly because I like the price. And Nolu just scared me away from WWW :lol-sign:
Boo? :p

Seriously, the products are usually nice but I have major issues with companies that don't stand behind their stuff and are rude and insulting to their customers. If you end up with a messed up product, expect to lose any money you spent on it and have to buy another.

Members online

No members online now.