Trick of the Week: Backup!

Time for another trick of the week!

This week lets work on that hind end awareness, Backup!

So again, be creative. If you already have a nice back up work on getting it farther, or work on getting them backing up TOWARDS you. Work on reverse leg weaves or backing up in a circle around you or an object. Backing up stairs is always fun. Try backing up while the dog is standing or in a crawl. If you don't have any start for this trick work on targeting with back feet.

Basically, have fun and remember there is always a way to expand on your tricks!

I'm working on the basic backup since I think it looks so cool when a dog backs up for a long distance.

I'm using a foot target to each it

[YOUTUBE]g2v8TddNUu8[/YOUTUBE]

BostonBanker

We actually worked a bit on this tonight, as it was sort-of homework from our agility lesson! Basically just working on rear-end awareness, with backing to an object as the first step. Since Gusto will already back up on to just about anything, I'm trying to work on the actual distance backing up - usually he just swings his butt into the right area and then backs up a short distance. Like you said, backing up long distances just looks cool ;)

I think I'm going to wind up free shaping it. I haven't found a target he doesn't send flying with his enthusiasm. I actually tried my old laptop from college, which probably outweighs both Gusto and my car, but he still sent it sliding around. Our other big issue has been that, since it clearly involves his hind feet, he spends most of the time trying handstands and yelling at me for not rewarding his brilliance.

I need to figure our why I can't upload videos to YouTube anymore; I'm going to try filming some stuff tomorrow.

SaraB

I have two dogs seriously working on backup. Zinga is going for a spazzy distance back and Zuma is working on adding distance to her back up to me. I'll try to get video tomorrow.

Zip and Taboo are in the shaping stages but I keep getting distracted by their other adorable offered behaviors.

k9krazee

We've been working on it! No video yet.

Working on two things: adding distance to the back up and then backing up to me.

Sekah

The Monster.
I just ended a somewhat amusing back up session. I decided I'd try to reteach the behaviour with a rear foot target since Cohen's back ups away from me are 1-3 steps at a time, and crooked.

I set the target up by a wall with the intention of encouraging a rear foot only target ('cause I've not practiced that in ~3-4 years). Cohen was convinced it was now time to do a handstand.

Nope. Pulled target away from wall and reset the exercise. Cohen started giving me some of the best free-standing and walking handstands I've seen in a while. Of course I had to reward, because ~handstands!~. I am a bad trainer.

Eventually we got some rear foot targeting and backing up a short distance, but it was way more of a challenge than I had anticipated.

BostonBanker

Reviving this a bit, because Gusto makes me laugh:

[YOUTUBE]G3ZkkUP7VhM[/YOUTUBE]

We've been working on back up quite a bit. But I think this was actually his creation stemming from pivoting on the bowl in heel position. I was playing with the bowl, dropping one shoulder or the other to get him to swing to either side (thinking maybe it would help the occasional crossing behind issue in agility). All of a sudden, every time I had him in his 'set up' position, if I moved my shoulders the slightest bit, he'd start throwing his head around and swinging his butt. It turned into this within one session of rewarding that.

I may seriously regret it when he won't hold his set up on the start line, but right now, it is cute. I actually tried to morph it into backing between my legs in a figure 8, but he keeps catching his tail on my leg and he doesn't like that.

Please excuse the cluttered basement, which is the only remotely open space in this wee condo, and the fact that I had no idea where the middle of the frame was.

Members online

No members online now.