Cats Vs. Dogs

I adopted Gypsy about a month and a half ago at 4 years old with no background history. She is a redbone coonhound and was most likely used as a hunting dog. At first I had considered rehoming her because she really wanted to get the cat, as any coonhound would. She is super excited/interested in our cat. We have made progress. She can now stand the sight of the cat without going crazy after I will give her treats when she sees the cat. Right now the cat has the upstairs to herself which is safe from the dogs. Has anyone overcome prey drive for cats? It took me a year for Ryker to be okay with the cat and he was a baby. I'm worried that we will never reach a point to where the cat can come downstairs and hangout while the dogs are out. It's really not fair to her.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Webster in particular had a lot of prey drive toward Brie when she first came home. Kim wanted to chase but Webster was much more serious about it. They just weren't even around the cat at all unless I was actively there, and I did a *lot* of work reinforcing calm behavior. Didn't do much in the way of food since that amps my guys up. And then just let them gradually earn more interaction in calm situations, then let them be present when Brie was more amped up (more likely to trigger their prey/chase), and eventually was able to let Brie loose. Any inappropriate interest was marked and instantly resulted in calm removal. Watching was fine as long as expression (face and body) stayed relaxed...tensing to chase was a no.

Worked for us anyway, Brie has been fully integrated ever since. I don't leave her out with the dogs when we are gone for extended periods, but then I don't leave the dogs out together under those circumstances either because I am paranoid :p

Lo had a strong chase instinct at first as well but she was an adult cat and he was a wee pup so that was easily interrupted and he learned that she was not for chasing before he was really even capable of chasing her very well ;)

I think it's going to be a long time before Gypsy is okay with the cat. Right now I'm treating her for looking at the cat and then at me without getting too excited or barking. It's fine when the cat is sitting still but the second it moves Gypsy is ready to chase.

Members online

No members online now.