Scare of my life. Need good vibes...

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Today I went out to the farm where I will be horse-sitting, to do a run-through with the owner there. I've been there quite a few times already, and the owner told me to bring my dogs, as the horses are used to them (he used to raise Samys) and he has 40 acres enclosed with a 6-strand hot wire fence (outside the horse paddocks - so even if they get out of THEIR hot wire paddocks, they can't leave the property).

I was in an enclosure checking a water trough, when Liz came jogging up through the paddock (obviously having passed the horses) and greeted me at the fence. The rails were too close for her to get through, but the horses were out a ways and she was relaxed. I don't know what set them off, but within a minute or two, all 4 mares chased my dog down and trampled her. I was screaming and running, but there was nothing I could do.

Thankfully, she made it out of their paddock, but somehow she made it out of the 6-string perimeter fence as well. I didn't know this until about two hours later as I was searching the entire property... but, knowing Liz, I figured there was no way she was alive and in that fence and ignoring me screaming for her, even though the owner ASSURED me she couldn't have gotten out of the fence :rolleyes:

I drove around some, cried at some joggers that I had lost my dog (not that they could understand my blubbering) and drove the 35 minutes home to grab my phone and post a listing on facebook. While I was at home I got a call - some nice lady and her kids had found Liz in town! I drove back to get her, and took her straight to the vet.

She has a possible ankle sprain (but she's bearing weight and it doesn't seem to be too upsetting to her) some abrasions, and most importantly, it looks like some bleeding around her heart and lungs :(

That being said, she was cleared to come home for a few hours with me to rest on the couch, and while I'm at work overnight she'll be at the local E-Vet under observation. Please send any spare thoughts or prayers you may have Lizard's way :( I feel AWFUL and this was pretty much the most horrifying thing I've ever been through... but the worst part is over - not knowing if she was out in the woods waiting to die or being shot by one of the neighbors. Whatever happens, she will live - now it's just a question of how dead my wallet will be.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry!

All the vibes I've got that she comes through just fine!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
As long as the lesson of the dog aggressive horses is only learned once and the dog gets to survive the tale it's a good day. Many horses especially herd mares are dog aggressive in a way most people aren't used to a horse being. I think the only animal on this earth more surprisingly aggressive than horses are donkeys.

Good luck with your pupper. I'm glad she made it home to you.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
wow--how frightening! I hope she is ok--and big ((HUGS)) to calm your nerves down!

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
I'm sending healing thoughts her way. How scary! I'm so glad you have her back.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
:yikes: I hope Lizard pulls through with little downtime and learns to stay out of the paddock!!

Horses are crazy. I love them, but sheesh.

Snark

Mutts to you
Sending good vibes to Liz and hugs to you! I've always made sure the dogs were separated from the horses (by a woven wire fence) because I know my horses would have no hesitation about attacking any dog that ventured into their pasture.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
As long as the lesson of the dog aggressive horses is only learned once and the dog gets to survive the tale it's a good day. Many horses especially herd mares are dog aggressive in a way most people aren't used to a horse being. I think the only animal on this earth more surprisingly aggressive than horses are donkeys.
Yes! Sally was kicked in the head by a horse and thankfully only suffered a mild concussion. The STB gelding I used to have was VERY dog and cat aggressive. He sadly ended up killing a barn employee's dachshund after she allowed the dog into the area with him.

Sending lots of healing vibes Liz's way! Thank goodness you were able to find her and get her medical attention--give her extra scritches!

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Thanks everyone - she's breathing easily, and was able to relax at home for a few hours in bed... she's at the E-vet overnight while I'm here at work, I'm pretty sure she's going to be fine. She's owwie, but seems more herself otherwise... she's wagging at people and was wandering the exam room sniffing <3

I'm pretty sure if this goes the way the car thing did (yea, Liz has had a hell of a life...), she will never want to be near a horse again.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Sending tons of vibes that Liz feels better soon. I'm glad to hear she's doing well, and I can't imagine what it must have been like to see that. I think I would have lost it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Oh MY!!!!! THat is just plain horrible for both of you. I am so glad you found her and that she is going to be ok. Poor Liz, sending tons of get well fast vibes to her.Do you know what caused the bleeding around her heart and lungs?

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Oh MY!!!!! THat is just plain horrible for both of you. I am so glad you found her and that she is going to be ok. Poor Liz, sending tons of get well fast vibes to her.Do you know what caused the bleeding around her heart and lungs?
I would imagine just the trauma of being rolled and stomped on? It cracked a few of her ribs, too, but they'd been fractured before so they might have been the same one re-broken...

I'm pretty sure if this goes the way the car thing did (yea, Liz has had a hell of a life...), she will never want to be near a horse again.
Well, tell MzLiz that not ever being around a horse again is not necessarily a bad thing. I've yet to be kicked or stomped by one but I'd just as soon never be around one again either ;)

Doberluv

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry for the scare. Poor Liz. That sounds terrifying. My dogs and horses were crazy about each other and they went riding with me and hung around the horses all the time. Maybe these horses weren't use to dogs. They sound down right ornery! Anyhow, I bet she'll stay clear of them in the future. That bleeding around the heart and lungs sounds scary. I hope if there's a broken rib, that it will be okay soon. Sending lots of recovery vibes your way.

Catsi

That was a terrifying read, I had my heart in my mouth. I can only imagine how scary it would have be in to live it!

Vibes sent for you and Liz. I hope she has a very quick recovery.

Members online

No members online now.