Someone called the cops...

So for the first time in my life I got the cops called on me(though only the fire truck showed up) for leaving a dog in the car :yikes:

The car was parked in the shade, trunk was open, and the dogs were in wire crates with water and fans going. So they were in no way in distress....

Anywho so basically I decided to take the girls swimming. I had them both out at the same time, but dealing with both together was a bit difficult so I decided to take turns. So I was constantly switching dogs out(neither were in there for more than 5 mins at a time) and at the time I had left Karma in the car and had Abby out and I noticed a fire truck pull up. So I immediately knew what was going on and headed towards the car(which had never left my eyesight to begin with). Asked if there was a problem and they asked if that was my van. I said yes and repeated is there a problem. The fireman replied with how someone called because there was a dog locked in a car. And I stated how they had water/fans and the door were open and he sort of laughed it off and said "you know how people are these days" and I was all "yup". But after that they were happy with what they saw, glad I was a good owner, and left... And of course Karma was happily chilling in the van while strange people were sniffing around the car wondering what the heck was going on... But since there was no problem I kept doing what I was doing until my girls were happily about to collapse and hopefully sleep for the rest of the day.

Guess I got so used to being around sport people who think nothing of a dog in a crate in a car with proper everything and forgot that most everyday people don't have the common sense to figure out whether or not a dog is in distress/bad situation etc...

Sweet72947

Squishy face
That happened to my friend's boyfriend recently. He was at his school doing stuff to get ready for classes and had the dog with him because I forget why but I know there was a valid reason. But the car was parked in the shade, on an overcast day, with windows partly down. And he was checking on the dog every 20 or 30 minutes. Somebody called the cops but the cops were satisfied that the dog was fine and left. I think we need to educate people on what a dog in distress looks like. Maybe with some nice colorful diagrams or something.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I'm waiting for someone to complain about my chihuahua being left in tha car (in the shade, with the windows down and the temps in the low 70's) so I can point out that he is not, in fact, panting. He never pants. I'm pretty sure he's actually some sort of lizard.

DJEtzel

Ugh. Ridiculous.

I do this at the park where we play disc. I'm just waiting for someone to say something or call the police.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
At least they called the cops instead of smashing the vehicles windows! That seems to be everyone's first action out here.

Apparently any dog left in a car ever is in distress and needs help.
It has significantly reduced the amount of time the dogs spend with me as I am afraid of what I will come back to.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
At least they called the cops instead of smashing the vehicles windows! That seems to be everyone's first action out here.

Apparently any dog left in a car ever is in distress and needs help.
It has significantly reduced the amount of time the dogs spend with me as I am afraid of what I will come back to.
Yeah. I would be SO grateful to come back to cops instead of broken glass. Penn mostly stays home now if I have errands to run.. which sucks for her because she is getting out less but I'm slightly terrified someone will break a window.

^^ yeah I was actually glad that they called the proper authorities instead of taking it upon themselves to "rescue" my dogs. I doubt I would've had any broken windows since the trunk was completely open, but might've ended up with a missing dog had it been Abby instead of karma and they decided to bust her out. Knowing her she would've slipped out and taken off looking for me

You absolutely don't want people to stand back and do nothing when a dog is left in a car on a hot day [and that means CALLING police, not taking law into their own hands], but people REALLY need to learn what these days are. I run across videos on youtube every so often of a dog completely fine, not even panting and they will sit there 20 mins recording and waiting for owner to come out to chew out [if really worried, why aren't you calling the police? Just saying]. Youtube heroes I like to call them.

I always worry about leaving mine in the car with the AC on, that someone is going to flip out and not take the time to LISTEN and LOOK at the dog, see he is clearly not distressed and then break my window. Rare I ever take them anywhere on a hot day anyhow, usually on my way to a destination and need to make a quick pop into a store.

Getting to the point you can't leave your dog in the car ever, too many trying to 'save' them regardless if they need it or not.

Members online

No members online now.