HELP! GSD Preparation

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Okay, thanks for all your help on house training, now, here is a different problem.

My dad and I both go to school and work at the same time. So we have to leave him at home by himself for almost 8 hours. My dad comes at around noon for lunch, maybe an hour.

Here are the questions:

Should I leave my dog inside the house or outside? I was planning to put him out when ever I'm gone and have a food bowl and water bowl out. I am scared about leaving him outside cause he's just a small pup but I'm picking him up on a Monday and I can't house train a pup in a day so I don't want him doin' his business inside the house. What do I do? And sorry, but nothing about crates. I don't use crates.

Will he have seperation issues? 'Cause I mean, it's school, I have to go. And my dad has work.

Thanks for your help any advice would be great.

dogsrmylife86

Allison&Ginger
i'd say that it's okay leaving the dog outside, as long as you abide by some rules:

1. make sure that he's got a doghouse to take refuge in.
2. provide proper fencing, make sure he can't dig or jump out!
3. if he's teeny, make sure there are no local birds that can pick him up for a snack.

allison

Saje

Island dweller
Well, personally, I wouldn't leave him outside in the elements. Puppies can always find trouble no matter how hard you try to protect them.

Why did you get a puppy if you don't have the time to train him and give him attention? If you have to have a dog it would be better for you to adopt an older dog from a shelter who is already trained and won't be getting into so much trouble.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just thinking about your puppy who will be all alone during the day. He's not going to be a very happy dog.

Crates would be a good option to consider. At least he would have a special place. I'm not saying you have to use them you should just consider it. If you don't want to use a crate then you'll probably need to set up a safe play pen in the kitchen... laundry room... somewhere where it's warm and easy to clean up his messes.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
As long as you live in a climate that does not get too cold. We are in a snow belt and the weather goes from sunny and mild to 20 below and snowing like mad in a matter of an hour or so. I also do not advocate tying a puppy up by a collar. If your puppy MUST stay outside unattended, do yourself a favor and provide SECURE fencing. It is a good idea to keep your dog run out of public view. Purebred puppies left unattended, tied or fenced, are easy targets for thieves. It is more of a problem than you might think, and until your dog has attained some size it is best to be safe. If you don't see it, you can't steal it. I am sure that a lot of purebred, ill trained adult dogs in shelters were stolen as puppies.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Saje said:
Well, personally, I wouldn't leave him outside in the elements. Puppies can always find trouble no matter how hard you try to protect them.

Why did you get a puppy if you don't have the time to train him and give him attention? If you have to have a dog it would be better for you to adopt an older dog from a shelter who is already trained and won't be getting into so much trouble.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just thinking about your puppy who will be all alone during the day. He's not going to be a very happy dog.

Crates would be a good option to consider. At least he would have a special place. I'm not saying you have to use them you should just consider it. If you don't want to use a crate then you'll probably need to set up a safe play pen in the kitchen... laundry room... somewhere where it's warm and easy to clean up his messes.
Whoah, hold on now. I never said I don't have time to train him and give him attention. I said, I have school and he'll be left alone for a while. I mean, I have to go to school. My dad will be coming home for an hour during noon time and he can check on him and take him outside.

I stopped playing some sports to dedicate my time to my upcoming GSD, training, giving attention, and exercising. I'm just saying I'm not going to be at home every second of the day to look after him because I have school.

My question was where should I leave him? Since it's a Monday I'm picking him up, I don't think any human being is capable of house training their dog in half a day. And I don't want him relieving himself inside the house. I have a place for him outside though. And I even have an empty room inside the house he can be in. So I was asking for suggestions.

I wouldn't leave him outside, for all of the above reasons. As MoparStar said, you wouldn't believe how often pure-bred pups are stolen. A bored puppy will gleefully spend hours digging under, climbing over, or chewing through a fence. I would be most concerned about the temperature, though. You don't have much leeway with young dogs' body temperature. They can develop heat stroke in as little as a half hour in the sun, and their temp drops really quickly even in weather that feels comfortable to us. I would NEVER leave a puppy outside alone for longer than a few minutes. When he's grown and has some common sense, then he can hang out in the yard.

You'll have to do what everyone else in your situation does, which is leave him in the laundry room or kitchen with a puppy pad or some newspaper. Make sure you give him a place where it is okay for him to potty. Don't worry about it slowing down potty training--if you're diligent when you're home, he'll get there. But until he's about 6 - 8 months old, he will not be able to hold it for that long. Remember that small dogs have small bladders. It's just a fact that puppies are messy. You might try calling some local doggy day cares; that would solve several problems at once.

Because he's going to be alone so often, you'll have to work extra hard to make sure he's properly trained, stimulated, and socialized. I'd start exposing him to other dogs in positive situations ASAP. The fact is that dogs are social animals, and they can develop major behavioral problems when they are alone too much. You'll have to be very careful and watch him for signs of social withdrawl.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
amen emma, theft was the very first thing i thought of too. pup like that would bring a good price.
I know this isn't something most people think of first but a puppy sitter is not a bad idea, and in my opinion the very best thing for the puppy if you can find someone responsible. There are a lot of elderly that would enjoy your pup's antics and cannot have a dog of their own becuase of their age, a puppy would be out of the question..many young family stay at home mom's could use a bit of extra income too.Baby sitting a puppy is not that hard..you might know someone..just a thought. I hate to see a puppy alone, it goes against everything that should be happening in their "natural life"...good luck...doggy daycare is quite popular around here too and there are weekly rates available.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I would'nt put him outside while you were gone if i were you like it was mentioned before being a pure bred GSD pup you have a better chance of him getting stolen from the yard. Trust me my best friend only had a lab cross and she was stolen from their backyard when they left her in their yard while they went to the store.

You could also put him in a nice comfy crate with some toys food and water while your gone. this way if he has an accident he has it in his crate and its an easy clean up. Maybe when your dad comes home at noon he can take him out in the yard let him get some exercise and clean up messes in the crate (if he wants to). And then when you get home do the same make up for the crate time with a nice long play session in the yard and home.

Somre pups have seperation issues and some don't it depends on how used the pup is to being alone. Most puppies do dislike being home alone or in their crates at night but they eventually get used to it.

The puppy sitter is a good idea idealy i would ask someone i knew and trusted to do so. So you had no question of how well your pup will be treated.

Good luck and can't wait to see some pics once you get him!!! Lol maybe him and Pakak can be little puppy pen pals lol.

Good Luck :)

Scarlette

I think the sitter is a great idea, as long as you explain exactly what they can and cannot do to your puppy. Day care is a great solution if the people are professional and licensed. Make sure you explore the facility completely and grill the employees on their methods. You don't want them abusing your dog while you're not there.

I wouldn't crate him, though, because growing puppies that are left confined for long periods can develop abnormally. As a GSD he's likely to have hip problems as an adult anyway; you don't want to compound that by denying his growing bones and muscles the exercise they need to develop normally. I also believe that long periods of enclosed confinement can have a detrimental effect on his emotional state. Even with lots of toys, it would be like leaving a toddler in a sensory deprivation chamber while you were at work. Besides, some dogs flat out refuse to potty in their kennels, which has been known to lead to excretory system damage.

Saje

Island dweller
I like the day care idea Emma.

I wasn't trying to critize your decision, Big Dog, I just think that 8 hours a day is a long time for a young puppy - who is probably going to be missing his mom and brothers and sisters - to be alone. Just my opinion.

My newfie puppy was very destructive when he was left alone even for a few hours. We didn't mind because we were living in a temporary place and didn't have much furniture. He just lived in the living room with his own chair and toys and whatnot. He sure chewed up that chair. LOL

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
You could even put up and advertisement and screen..it is just my opinion, but I think of all young animals as having the same emotional needs as human babies. The first few months are so important for building trust and teaching the values that you want your dog to have. I was fortunate to have Bronki adn Mary from the beginning. Victor has been a lot harder. I don't think he had much of a chance to ever be a baby.

dogsrmylife86

Allison&Ginger
**cringes, sorry guys, i only saw her say "dog" i didn't read close enough to see the "pup" part, pups are very fragile......allison

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I tend to agree with Saje, 8 hours is a long time to leave a puppy alone!! I think the sitter idea is good one. But to be honest there is more to being a responsible dog owner than walking and feeding, You have to be responsible for a dogs emotional needs. And as a pack animal they aren't happy left alone!! Just my opinion!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Well, it's obvious 8 hours is a long time and I certainly did my homework, I know puppy's can be hurt easily emotionally. I especially don't want to do this to him on his first day here. It scares me, but I don't have a choice.

I think the Laundry room or the empty room I have or the kitchen is a great idea. Thanks for your help.

Just make sure he's got some safe things to keep him busy; maybe a puppy Kong, a puzzle ball. Put a bed in there with something that has your scent on it and the papers in another corner, preferably near a door. I'll even suggest that you get some of those outlet blockers that are used to keep babies from getting hurt and use them. Pups can get into some unbelievable predicaments sometimes! :eek:

All in all, it's not ideal, but nothing ever is. When we brought Purdue home we were all gone at school or work during the day. He did have Mickey, our Terrier, at home with him for company, but considering how much she bullied him he'd probably have preferred to be alone, lol!

I'm so glad Emma made those points about arbitrarily crating a puppy, especially a large breed.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Yeah, I think I figured out where to put him. I think that leaving him something with my scent on it is a great idea... and I'll definitely have the TV on. Maybe I could leave him a shirt I'd already worn. Thanks for the help. :)

BTW, I never liked the idea of crates. It just seems so uncomfortable. I mean how would you like to be stuffed in a small crate? It just doesn't appeal to me, I guess...

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I only use crates for puppy training and they actually find them comfortable safe places if treated the right way and my crates airn't small. Pakak is actually laying in his on his own will with the door open. I don't keep adult dogs in crates unless they get in them at night on their own and yes both Noah and Rajah choose their crates over anywhere else in the house to sleep the rest of the dogs sleep in my bed with me or on the floor.To me it is the safest possible thing to do for one of my puppies that way i know for sure they are safe. But this is just my opinion

None of my crates have doors on them. If you're using them to confine your dog, then I agree; it's not right. But my dogs spend plenty of time in their crates and if one of them is missing (outside being washed, etc.) they will seek it out. It's important--especially in a loud house or one with children--for dogs to have a place of their own where they can go to have some quiet "me time". A crate for a particular dog needs to be big enough for the dog to stand up and turn all the way around inside. A lot of behavior problems in hectic households are greatly helped by the addition of a crate. Dogs need a special place too!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
make sure you have all electric cords up and out of harms way..and anything he could injest plus anything he could stuff his head in which sounds odd..but somewhere in this house i have a pic of a puppy with her head firmly stuck in a thermos..we had a devil of a time getting it off before suffacated..she had been asleep on the bed so sound and peaceful that I thought I would just leave her for a minute while I ran something down the street, I was only gone for a few when i returned that is how I found her. They can get into the darndest things..my son got his head stuck in the dresser drawer inbetween the edge of the drawer and the cabinet..go figure..sounds like you got a plan..good luck to you

Members online

No members online now.