Ouch.

Kilter

I don't suggest hitching two crazy dogs to a sled, telling your seven year old to sit on the sled and hang on, then having the dogs do a wait so you can do a speedy recall and give said kid a ride.

When he doesn't pay attention and forgets to hold on, goes flying into the snow and the dogs crash the wood sled into your ankle then jump on you to let you know they were very good at that recall. :rofl1:

It was fine to run on afterwards but it's pretty sore still today.

At least it's a faster way to tire out a border collie and a golden than just free running all the time.

Snark

Mutts to you
Next time, a plastic sled? Then it won't hurt when it crashes into you. :) Your seven year old didn't want to try it again? Or you didn't?

We used to do the same kind of thing with the horses - someone on a plastic sled, hanging onto a long line while the rider either held the other end, tied it to the saddle or swingle tree if we felt like harnessing the horse. Lots of fun (and some spectacular spills) galloping around a field!

Dogs6

Plus One
OUCH! I once tried something like that. I tied the dogs leashes together and sat on a skateboard, threw the tennis ball, the dogs pulled the leash out of my hand and went either way round my sister and nearly broke her leg. Fun times!

We used to do the same kind of thing with the horses - someone on a plastic sled, hanging onto a long line while the rider either held the other end, tied it to the saddle or swingle tree if we felt like harnessing the horse. Lots of fun (and some spectacular spills) galloping around a field!
I am totally going to do this when it snows. You may never hear from me again :rofl1:

Snark

Mutts to you
I am totally going to do this when it snows. You may never hear from me again :rofl1:
Shouldn't be too bad, unless you run into something - that's the beauty of a plastic sled, you're already on the ground. We used to award points for how far the sled rider tumbled when we played 'snap the whip'. :D

Kilter

There must be videos next time :D
Oh of course. Kinda tempted to do one dog at a time and take some pictures, but it would be with my four year old kid so don't want to let her ride solo without the dogs being leashed. They are good but they also are strong enough to pull her a long way and not care.

Dogs6

Plus One
Shouldn't be too bad, unless you run into something - that's the beauty of a plastic sled, you're already on the ground. We used to award points for how far the sled rider tumbled when we played 'snap the whip'. :D
Our field is part of an old quarry, there are a TON of hills and stones. There's also a part that floods in winter and the freezes over. I predict reaching the top of the hill, hitting a stone, falling down the hill into the ice and then dying o hypothermia trying to catch the horse again lol.

If anyone snaps a whip near the mare I will definitely die! I do not like the thought of going round the steep edges of the field at a gallop only on a plStic sled. I wouldn't even like the thought if I was ON the horse.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Our field is part of an old quarry, there are a TON of hills and stones. There's also a part that floods in winter and the freezes over. I predict reaching the top of the hill, hitting a stone, falling down the hill into the ice and then dying o hypothermia trying to catch the horse again lol.

If anyone snaps a whip near the mare I will definitely die! I do not like the thought of going round the steep edges of the field at a gallop only on a plStic sled. I wouldn't even like the thought if I was ON the horse.
Every time you post something with horses, I look at your sig and the scenario you describe plays out in my head only with horse-sized corgis. Every time. :rofl1:

Snark

Mutts to you

See your point - our field was at the bottom of a hill, so the only obstacles were jumps, nothing life-threatening.

Snap-the-whip is a game, not an actual whip. :) Guess it's kind of old-fashioned but it was played with a line of kids holding hands and running after the leader. Sudden changes in direction at a dead run usually resulted in the last kid in line going airborne and being flung off the chain. Same principle applied to the sled rider at the end of the long line (except for the airborne part).

Dogs6

Plus One
Every time you post something with horses, I look at your sig and the scenario you describe plays out in my head only with horse-sized corgis. Every time. :rofl1:
:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: that would be hilarious!

See your point - our field was at the bottom of a hill, so the only obstacles were jumps, nothing life-threatening.

Snap-the-whip is a game, not an actual whip. :) Guess it's kind of old-fashioned but it was played with a line of kids holding hands and running after the leader. Sudden changes in direction at a dead run usually resulted in the last kid in line going airborne and being flung off the chain. Same principle applied to the sled rider at the end of the long line (except for the airborne part).
That sounds much better! That would be great fun! Now just to get a sled for when it snows! :D Hopefully she'll take this in her stride like she has everything else. Not many horses can be dragged out of a field after 8 years and hauled round the country, showjumped and had all sorts of nonsense thrown at them without any problems (bar the whole bolting thing lol) .

Members online