New garden pics

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Like the face on the moon

So tiny

STill a resident and appreciative of a shower. I didn't know this had little green eyes. My son wouldn't sleep in his bed when he was small because these guys were by his window and he thought they were aliens. I think he was about 4.

She let me watch her for a long time. Her mate came up, but he looked a little puffed. I hope he will be ok.

Poor Daddy, not a good sign to be puffed like that.

At least he is still eating.

CIMG0727.JPG 2009-04-28

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I wish my family could have stayed another hour because they left before these opened. They may be called four oclocks but it is more like 7 oclock here and that is getting close to babies bed times. I am so pleased. Saving seeds for next year.

if you would like some lighting bugs....my grandson Jory doesn't have any so I am sending him these. I have billions. http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/smkie/July 1 1915/CIMG0141_zpshhh2lhnn.mp4

Feeling better. I did notice that his mate was puffed today so maybe it something catching, but not serious.

THis one is the least afraid of me. I can be about 4 feet away working and as long as I don't move too much, we all just coexist and it's nice. They are chatty and happy and always give thanks for the supper when they are done.

She is so pretty

All framed up and ready to go to Art Unleashed 2015. I don't know what else, but this is my major donation this year. I will call it All About the Ball from my Sticks and Stones Collection. I hope it brings a good donation. I am going to have to get another print and find another frame because I like it too and will miss it when it is gone. Might send the road runner. Still on the fence about that one. IF I do I need to get another print because I had the wrong one made.

it is a frog's night out there tonight. It is a hundred percent humidity and hot.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
video

I did not get once decent photo but not out of lack of trying. I will one day have to see If I can figure out how to get a screen shot from a video. I have only seen this swallow tail three times in a couple decades.

darn. Kind of interesting for an action shot, but only kind of.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

Hail to the king.

I found one photo where you could see the face.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I went out for a break from a day's occupation and waited camera in hand.
It didn't take long and the butterflies came. I never get close to this one.
looks like this one has had a rough go of it.

Watched a territory fight, and made myself go back to what i was working on. AT least I think my little yellow fellow is back to his old self. Hope he wins.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

I watched little bit try and try leaping, and hanging over the edge, holding on sideways to the stalk and trying to reach until she toppled over, and I rooted for her. I told her nothing good comes easy. Today, it was just easy peasy.
No way to show her little flip there but I'm proud of her.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I weeded and dead headed, gathered and trimmed hoping a butterfly or my finches would come but nada. I turned to go in and there was Sam to say Goodnight. Good night to you too Sam, your looking good there with your full tummy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
and good morning sunshine

my camera has self healed twice but I got a feeling a hospital trip is in the near future. Sad.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Velvet Brown Moth of giant size, drifts in the canopy a hundred feet high. Figure eights from shade to sun, hoping a mate's attention he's won.

From the back of my yard I look into the top of the trees. I am about half way up from the base in the swamp below. It is a very steep drop off. IT gives me a glorious view of things I otherwise would never see. THis is one I never want to forget. Too far up for a pic, but to watch a moth as big as both your palms put together float like a dust mote, is something to see. They have no mouth parts so there is only one function left for all their glory.

Even the little ones have their own humble beauty.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I dropped off my donation for ARt Unleashed this morning. I gave them the framed dog garden art "all About the BALL" and a rocking owl. So fingers crossed for 2015.

My flowers will really be happy after an afternoon of baby laughter.

THis is what I woke up to this morning.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Guess my luna is going to hang around for the day. A titmouse saw it and was hopping toward the window so I put up my finger and wagged it nono then thought that will do a lot of good. Probably like seeing a turkey dinner. SO I took the big monarch pillow and put it in the window, and filled the feeder. Good luck Luna. I hope it works.
This must be big moth time.

I have planted milk weed for the monarchs and keep checking to see if there are any caterpillars. If they do come I can put a mesh over it to protect them and increase their odds of survival.

Pleased with how this area is coming together. I have some plans I hope on my wish list for short in the front border next year.

Its almost 5 pm so so far, so good in Moth Protector. Hanging out across from the bird feeder was not the best idea this Moth has ever had.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

Thank you Barb:) AT least I was able to join in yet another year. I am over a decade but I don't know by how much.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
5 little squirrels all living in a bunch.

One slept too sound and he became lunch

4 little squirrels all frisky and young

one looked away, and his skin

became frayed

3 little squirrels no longer bright and brave,

a snip and a tail no longer will wave.

2 little squirrels looking diseased.

one became mangy it's that or it's fleas.

One young squirrel, must be smarter than the rest.

His tail can still wave and he isn't a lunch.

I wish him well and I wish him luck. I sure wouldn't want to

be owl brunch.

that's a lame poem .but I sure do feel sorry for them. Sorry for throwing the bad tomatoes at them when they were frisky and brave. I was trying to drive them off so the baby cardinals could eat. . Now I am putting extra on the ground just because their the broken kid bunch and they probably don't have much time left. Mangey has a bad hip or back too. WHen I went out he walked ever so carefully into the underbrush instead of leaping up the tree. He was back today tho with the lucky one.
I think owl but I don't know for sure. They were all good last week. I don't want them jumping at the babies, but sure don't want this either.

On a positive note I saw Sam the Skink this evening and he or she looked really good. I hadn't seen Sam for a few days and hoped for the best.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am rooting for the broken kid club. THe one I thought had a hurt back made it up the tree albeit slowly yesterday. That was when I saw he had a red line running from his throat to his tail, going down between where the leg joins the body so maybe that is why, and that is much better than a back injury.

My grand girl and I found this one together yesterday.

I haven't looked it up yet to see which kind it is.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Two squirrels are not acting right at all. One jumped on a chair and bit the chair then the hose and bit the hose. THe other came up all the way to the driveway staggering, he is very sick and I wish someone would come. I called the wildlife vet but he was on lunch, and have a call into our animal control. I don't believe the injuries is what is making them act like this. I warned the closest neighbors with dogs to be careful and am being careful with mine that they under no circumstances go out without being secured on a leash. I don't know what it is but I would much rather err on the side of caution.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
thank you thank you!!! That is high praise. I am just grateful to share my garden with you.

Only healthy squirrels today, the broken kids are gone, or at least not here, and I am sorry it went that way for them but am relieved that their journey is over. It really needed to be. I tried to trap one but it didn't work. That was all I knew to do.

I found out a bug I posted quite a ways back is called an American Hover Fly. A fellow bug nerd found out and told me. I was pleased as punch. Today I went out and found this one. Not easy to be this tiny when a house fly that should be your lunch, laughs at you instead and parades in front of you mockingly.

It is a pretty good place to sit and decompress.

and if you need extra parking, that can be arranged.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.