Transitioning to townhouse/apartment living?

So I'm in the process of moving into a townhouse and obviously dogs will be coming along. Right now I'm living in a house with a yard. Nothing spectacular but it will be a transition moving into a townhouse with no yard.

The one thing I am concerned about is both dogs are used to just being let out into the yard to go potty, and that will no longer be an option. I also don't have time to walk them for an hour before school/work each morning until they decide they've found the perfect spot to poop lol. Is there any way to encourage them to hurry up and/or go potty on command? I have no problem walking them for longer periods of time in the evening it's just the mornings when I'm rushing to get out the door that I really need them to hurry.

I've never lived in a townhouse with dogs so any other advice is appreciated :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I just moved into a townhouse like 2 weeks ago after living in a single family home with a nice fenced yard. Which is how Juno lived her whole life - stand at back door, be let outside, do what you want come back in when you want.

It's been an easy transition fkr her although my townhouse does have a good sized yard area. I have a tie out for her so she can be out if she wants to hang and just observe, otherwise I do trust her not to leave so I often don't even put her on the tether if she's just going potty quick.

Morning time is usually the easiest for us since generally she needs to go potty right away anyway :) My dogs have never pottied on command but if they have to go... they usually go quick.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Both of mine were trained to potty on command since they were puppies- which shouldn't be too hard to teach yours, even at this point. I just gave a "Go potty!" every few seconds when I saw them start getting ready to unleash the pees and poops... LOL. And lots of praise and all that jazz afterward. They eventually linked the command to the action. :cool:

For how well they transition into a townhouse though, I guess it depends on the dog.

I live in a townhouse, and the only place for the dogs to go potty are the little strips of grass on the sidewalks outside the complex. Fable knows that the second she steps foot on the grass, she needs to immediately do her business. It's important that she knows that because I have to leave the house at 6:30 in the morning on school days, and don't have time to dawdle around waiting for her to poop.

I've enforced this by going back inside and giving her a treat right after she's peed/pood. If I let her out without a leash, she'll run out to the grass strip, pee, and then immediately sprint back inside for her treat. She also knows the 'go potty' command, which I use more for #2. I just taught that by saying the cue word as she's pooping.

Also knowing when they have to go is really helpful. If you only let them out to potty when you know they have to go, then they'll probably do their business faster.

It can be hard to change the habit, but it's doable if you're persistent & consistent.

1. Walking happens AFTER elimination. Leash up like you're going on a walk, then pace the starting area until the dog goes, then go on your normal walk. I go back and forth the sidewalk in front of my house until they poop, then we walk. Movement encourages movement, so it can help to walk around a little, but the reward of a going someplace walk comes after.

2. Put it on cue. When you see the dog about to go, say whatever word you want to use. I use "Empty" for pee and "Hurry up" for poop.

3. You can use a limited hold if you need to. Dog in crate, 5 minute opportunity to eliminate. If they go, great. If they don't, back in the crate. I guess you don't have to use a crate with adult dogs. But the idea is to give them a limited opportunity, otherwise they lose the chance, to get them to potty as soon as they get outside.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
One unrelated thing that I have had to think about more now - and really mostly just because I have a puppy which tend to be noisier - is that I now share walls with people. I might make a bigger deal out of it since it's new to me, so I'm more aware of it... but yeah I feel like I need to keep my dogs silent, especially in the morning/at night. If I leave and crate Sawyer I feel like I can't be gone long because WHAT IF HE CRIES AND THE NEIGHBORS HEAR HIM.
Or, he and Juno like to play in the mornings when we get up, and on the days that we're up at 5:30am, I feel like I need to keep them reigned in. Again, probably not a big deal and no one probably hears anything because they're not crashing into the walls or anything but it's just something that I'm super aware of and careful about.

It's not like I can be kicked out or anything if my dogs bark, I just don't want to be "THAT" neighbor and don't want to annoy people. Your dogs might not make noise so it might not even be a factor for you, but it's just another thing that was different for me moving from a house to townhouse.

I do worry about Wilson being concerned about neighbor noises but I'm sure he'll adjust after a few days.

Sam pretty much understands the whole going potty deal. We've traveled to hotels and stuff like that so it usually takes him 15 minutes or so to poop, which is still longer than I'd like but it'll get better.

With Wilson though, he doesn't seem to get that he can poop anywhere that isn't the yard? Because of course, in the six months that I've had him I never thought to train him to go anywhere else and now I'm kicking myself for it. I'm not letting them out in the yard anymore in the hopes that eventually he'll have to go bad enough to do it on a walk.

Also, eventually I'd like to take them both out together to potty to save time, but should I take them separately for now while they get used to it so they don't get like, distracted by each other?

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Also, eventually I'd like to take them both out together to potty to save time, but should I take them separately for now while they get used to it so they don't get like, distracted by each other?
Dogs often tend to be encouraged to pee/poop after they see their dog friend doing their thing... both of mine tend to potty at the same time for that reason, one right after the other. If Sam potties and you lead Wilson over to the spot, would he feel more inclined to potty? I feel that taking them out together to potty might actually be easier.

Members online

No members online now.