Favorite Dog Books?

crazedACD

Didn't see any recent threads about this.

What are your favorite dog books??

I'm about to download "When Pigs Fly"...I've been meaning to forever, I'm really excited to read it. I liked Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash. I read The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell...meh. Read some Cesar Milan book years ago, wasn't really a training book..I don't think I finished it.

BostonBanker

The Other End of the Leash and For Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell. Very readable, tons of great info. Not really "training" books I guess, but my favorite dog books.

Catsi

^ another here who loves Patricia McConnell - especially those titles. I love her style. She comes across as understanding toward both human and canine perspectives. Very insightful. The Other End of the Leash is the first book I recommend for people who are preparing for a new dog/wanting to know more.

I also loved Suzanne Clothier's Bones Would Fall from the Sky. It's really nicely written. I love books that explore our relationships with dogs.

From the perspective of someone with an aggressive dog, I love Brenda Aloff's Aggression in Dogs. I am always revisiting that book. It's so dog-eared now - very much loved.

I'm sure there's a few more that I really enjoyed. I liked Control Unleashed - lots of good practical applications in that one. I am interested in the puppy program as well, but haven't got around to checking it out.

milos_mommy

Training my #1 favorite book is Click to Calm

Non-training sappy dog story: Cowboy and Wills <3

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Probably 'For The Love of a Dog' by Patricia McConnell, I could read that over and over (and over). The Culture Clash is classic and amazing. 'Inside of a Dog' was fun (if you're a dork), can't remember the author, Alex something? 'Reaching the Animal Mind' by Karen Pryor isn't only dogs at all, but it was one of (if not the first) clicker training book I read, and I love it, I really need to buy it (got it from the library 5 years ago). I also really enjoyed 'Shaping Success' by Susan Garrett, it's kind of both training and a story.

Walking Ollie is the only casual dog owner perspective I've read and liked, but I really like it and the second book, Fetching Dylan.

There are probably more that I can't think of right now.

I'm getting Control Unleashed (Puppy Program), On Talking Terms With Dogs, and a couple others I'm betting I'll love.

crazedACD

Fiction - nothing beats Where the Red Fern Grows.

I read it once a year at least, and bawl like a baby every time.
Ohh man I loved that book, haven't read it in like forever. I love Jim Kjelgaard's books with Big Red and some of the others. The original Lassie Come Home and 101 Dalmatians..I read those once a year. "A Dog's Purpose" by Bruce Cameron was great...very much fiction but good.

I don't like a lot of the non-fiction casual dog owner books. Marley & Me was alright. Rescuing Sprite and Oogy were both...meh. Cute but a lot about their families and kids and stuff. I read Best Friends, that was fine.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I don't like a lot of the non-fiction casual dog owner books. Marley & Me was alright. Rescuing Sprite and Oogy were both...meh. Cute but a lot about their families and kids and stuff. I read Best Friends, that was fine.
You should try Merle's Door, I'd be really curious to see what you think! I guarantee that with your interest in training there are some parts that will make you shake your head, and some parts you will thoughtfully consider but respectfully disagree- but I'd be surprised if you didn't really enjoy it!

Danefied

You should try Merle's Door, I'd be really curious to see what you think! I guarantee that with your interest in training there are some parts that will make you shake your head, and some parts you will thoughtfully consider but respectfully disagree- but I'd be surprised if you didn't really enjoy it!
Merle’s Door - totally agree. Very thought-provoking read and just a great story.

crazedACD

I swear I've picked that book up 10 times and chosen something else :p. I will look for it next time I'm at the store.

my favorite dog books

I really liked "The Art of Racing in the Rain" can't remember off hand who it's by but I quite enjoyed it.
'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein is my favorite dog book, ever. I also love the Chet and Bernie mystery series by Spencer Quinn, and I thought "Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant was brilliant.

monkeys23

Fiction: The Call of the Wild, The Journey of Natty Gan, Never Cry Wolf, Julie of the Wolves... erm yeah see why I own what I own here? LOL.
Loved Where the Red Fern Grows too. I was obsessed with that movie as a kid, but never read the book until college.

I read Inside of a Dog by Alexdandra Horowitz and I'm sorry to those who liked it, but I very strongly disliked it. To each their own!

Other end of the leash, Control Unleashed, and Shaping Success are probably my fav "training"/relationship with dogs books.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- Don't shoot the dog.
Just kind of changed my approach to people..behavior..training.. life lol

- A dog's purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
Cried.
Cried harder.
Clutched the book to my chest and cried some more

- The art of racing in the rain
repeat same emotional process as above.

- Marley & Me.
Same as above..perhaps more crying. and more laughing to! I loved that it was more well rounded and not JUST about the dog.

Oh and of course

I'm finishing control unleashed now and while some of the things were quite interesting! I can't help but think A. Why the heck was the darn thing $30 and B. It's a bit too performance based for my taste. It's well written and personable but there isn't a single page that doesn't scream AGILITY

Members online

No members online now.