IPO seminar, hiking pics, and MORE!

Kootenay

It's been a little while since my last photo dump, so I figured it was about time again!

First some random photos from the past while, various adventures. I took a bunch of photos of Onyx and I a while ago and I quite like some of them :)

Some things never change! (second photo from summer 2013)

A few photos from a walk a while back.

More...

Kootenay

And lastly, Onyx and I went to an IPO seminar with Les Flores a couple weekends ago. We had a ton of fun and learned a lot! Onyx is just in heaven doing bitework...and she rocked the obedience, and we both finally started to figure out tracking, yay progress! These pictures were all taken by another lady at the seminar, I was so happy someone was there to get some photos of us.

A few more!

Kootenay

After the last bite of one session, she was getting pretty tired and on the way out she tripped over the sleeve (little girl problems!) and did a somersault and then just lay there, too much work to get up, but she was still hanging onto the sleeve. She got laughed at a lot...

Here's a little video from the seminar as well, we're obviously totally new to this but I definitely saw improvement over the weekend! (her crash is also included in this video...)

[YOUTUBE]Uip-YX6EbxU[/YOUTUBE]

And one more little Onyx brag, the other day in about 15 minutes she learned how to identify and search for the scent of pine mushrooms, and in that same session got all the way to finding one that I hid out in the woods! And today out on a ride I saw some mushrooms and hopped off my horse and told Onyx to find them, having no idea if she would make the connection in that situation (and after only like 2 sessions previously), but she knew immediately and found them quite quickly! So I am super stoked about that, especially considering that I don't even know how I'm supposed to be training this, lol.

Isn't progress fun :) Great pictures as usual. Video was tough for me to load though, had to copy url address and watch right from youtube. The video stills came up along the bottom for the embedded video, but it wouldn't play for some reason??? Just loaded and loaded and loaded and after 5 or so min would give me an error.

Kootenay

Isn't progress fun :) Great pictures as usual. Video was tough for me to load though, had to copy url address and watch right from youtube. The video stills came up along the bottom for the embedded video, but it wouldn't play for some reason??? Just loaded and loaded and loaded and after 5 or so min would give me an error.
Oh, weird! Here is the link straight to youtube, maybe it will work... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uip-YX6EbxU&list=UUNidYoSzWR0mJ46_tABa2kw

yeah, it works correctly from the youtube site for me, still can't get the embed to load and play? oh well.

Looks good, she has a lot of good stuff to work with. Good drive. The helpers were showing her that they were "it", not the sleeve without having to resort to stuff she's probably not ready for. That's good. Seems to have good griping behavior overall and decent clarity for just learning things.

I don't see any glaring issues, not that you were looking for critiques, but I just can't help myself :D

Not an issue now, probably won't be as she seems to have good forward focus, but I would watch the spinning. They happen after misses and seem to be a continuation of the "lunge", so I'm not concerned. BUT, going forward, just pay attention to it so it doesn't become something that happens because frustration is high and drive satisfaction is low :) that can carry over into guarding behaviors especially with dogs with low threshold and not as strong of nerves.

Not saying that is your dog at all, i just know you're new so it's something to be watchful of and there are plenty of small things you can do so it doesn't become a learned behavior that you and your helper can talk about if it's something that needs to be addressed.

But just so we're clear, I do NOT think your dog is doing this because of any temperament issue or that it is an issue now. I've just seen enough of things like that that don't get paid attention to and they develop into a learned behavior. One guy i know had a great dog. One of the best i've ever worked or trialed. I'd say top 5 ever for me and he did this thing in training quickly with an ecollar and calling his dog out to send him back in then call him back and send him back. Well because of not so good training and not paying attention to the dog, the dog learned to do a spin behavior in the blind. By no means was this a weak dog but it definitely created an issue to work thru that we didn't need. I was a part of both parts of the training so I remember it well. I guess I learned to think things thru more because of it. So, just pay attention to see where this goes.

Overall, her behavior seems very solid with frontal and tight line stuff when a dog with temperament issues might spin. She's all forward, and that is good.

Again, this is just me, but I'd like to see a little bit more drive to the bite on runaways. She has it, but that's one part she looks just a tad unsure of what's next. Does that make sense? Easy fix that you can talk about with your helper so you're both on the same page.

On the last miss, when he starts to run away, you let her pull you forward. not as fast as he's moving at all, but some, so she feels like she can control it a little more with small wins. You add more control later.

and one last thing, great prey defense sequences with the helpers. That looks good and clear and I could see her getting stronger. Looks like something she's done before too? If not, she learned really fast :)

Ok, now one last thing and again, this is just me. I'd like to see better strong barking on a back tie before sending in free around a blind. I know a lot times in seminars things are moved a long a little more quickly in the name of "progress", but she's young. Make it all great and solid before moving on.

I don't like to send to a blind to bark, till I can step into, walk away etc and the dog keeps barking with intensity and they stay clean and are clear.

Again just me and something I like. There's a lot of ways to get to the end though.

But very nice. Keep at it

Kootenay

yeah, it works correctly from the youtube site for me, still can't get the embed to load and play? oh well.

Looks good, she has a lot of good stuff to work with. Good drive. The helpers were showing her that they were "it", not the sleeve without having to resort to stuff she's probably not ready for. That's good. Seems to have good griping behavior overall and decent clarity for just learning things.

I don't see any glaring issues, not that you were looking for critiques, but I just can't help myself :D

Not an issue now, probably won't be as she seems to have good forward focus, but I would watch the spinning. They happen after misses and seem to be a continuation of the "lunge", so I'm not concerned. BUT, going forward, just pay attention to it so it doesn't become something that happens because frustration is high and drive satisfaction is low :) that can carry over into guarding behaviors especially with dogs with low threshold and not as strong of nerves.

Not saying that is your dog at all, i just know you're new so it's something to be watchful of and there are plenty of small things you can do so it doesn't become a learned behavior that you and your helper can talk about if it's something that needs to be addressed.

But just so we're clear, I do NOT think your dog is doing this because of any temperament issue or that it is an issue now. I've just seen enough of things like that that don't get paid attention to and they develop into a learned behavior. One guy i know had a great dog. One of the best i've ever worked or trialed. I'd say top 5 ever for me and he did this thing in training quickly with an ecollar and calling his dog out to send him back in then call him back and send him back. Well because of not so good training and not paying attention to the dog, the dog learned to do a spin behavior in the blind. By no means was this a weak dog but it definitely created an issue to work thru that we didn't need. I was a part of both parts of the training so I remember it well. I guess I learned to think things thru more because of it. So, just pay attention to see where this goes.

Overall, her behavior seems very solid with frontal and tight line stuff when a dog with temperament issues might spin. She's all forward, and that is good.

Again, this is just me, but I'd like to see a little bit more drive to the bite on runaways. She has it, but that's one part she looks just a tad unsure of what's next. Does that make sense? Easy fix that you can talk about with your helper so you're both on the same page.

On the last miss, when he starts to run away, you let her pull you forward. not as fast as he's moving at all, but some, so she feels like she can control it a little more with small wins. You add more control later.

and one last thing, great prey defense sequences with the helpers. That looks good and clear and I could see her getting stronger. Looks like something she's done before too? If not, she learned really fast :)

Ok, now one last thing and again, this is just me. I'd like to see better strong barking on a back tie before sending in free around a blind. I know a lot times in seminars things are moved a long a little more quickly in the name of "progress", but she's young. Make it all great and solid before moving on.

I don't like to send to a blind to bark, till I can step into, walk away etc and the dog keeps barking with intensity and they stay clean and are clear.

Again just me and something I like. There's a lot of ways to get to the end though.

But very nice. Keep at it
Hey thanks so much for all this! Great to have in depth insight from someone really experienced. Thanks!

That's good info to have about the spinning, I will definitely watch out for that.

I don't exactly have a club/helper, the nearest is about 6 hrs away so I went and trained once with them in May, and then nothing until this seminar. I'm hoping to get out again before the snow flies. So in the meantime, I'm working what I can at home with a bite wedge. She definitely wasn't totally committing to to the bite on the runaways, so that's something that I'm working on now at home, and already seeing improvements. I like your suggestion too, for next time we make it to the club.

I get what you're saying with sending to the blind to bark, for sure. Les's take in it is that he likes dogs to figure stuff out for themselves whenever possible, especially Malinois (he says they usually just do figure it out really quickly), so that's his method of "teaching" it whenever possible, just having them figure it out. In the video that is like her first ever attempt, so she just kind of guessed with barking after not being given a bite right away. I've done a bit of this at home since and she's actually figuring it out now. We'll see how it goes but I like your suggestion as well :)

Again thank you! Really appreciate you taking the time to write out all your thoughts, much appreciated!

Great photos!! I just love that girl.
Thaaaanks, me too :D

Dogs figuring it out works well too, assuming you have a helper to reward and move it along correctly. I saw nothing wrong in your video, looked pretty good. Good timing too. Like I said, a lot of ways to get to the end. I'm a big fan of self discovery too. There's a bit of that with the back tie I do as well. Some dogs are sent free, it just depends on the dog and what they've had for training before. Some are backtied with no handler around because they just cause conflict and i like to get the dog right and then work on the handler. Some the handler is the backtie and they're as much a part of the deal as I am. it just depends.

If you're working on barking at home, this might be good for you and your dog in the long run. your own dogs generally aren't dirty with you and pillow. She could have a good idea of the behavior before being put with a helper and upping the intensity. Every dog is different though :) They're a lot the same, but they always have something different. Keeps things interesting.

I wouldn't worry a ton on run aways. She has the right drives and with some reps of her knowing she can go get it, she's going to go harder. it's just a little something if you have someone to hold the leash you can work on. Think of it as a restrained recall except she gets to bite when she gets to you :) and hopefully the pillow Regardless of which way you go, her speed and commitment is going to pick up as she learns what is expected. At least I think it will from what she looks like in the video. So don't screw it up :D

You must be doing something good at home, because there was a lot of good stuff in that video for a young dog.

Kootenay

Dogs figuring it out works well too, assuming you have a helper to reward and move it along correctly. I saw nothing wrong in your video, looked pretty good. Good timing too. Like I said, a lot of ways to get to the end. I'm a big fan of self discovery too. There's a bit of that with the back tie I do as well. Some dogs are sent free, it just depends on the dog and what they've had for training before. Some are backtied with no handler around because they just cause conflict and i like to get the dog right and then work on the handler. Some the handler is the backtie and they're as much a part of the deal as I am. it just depends.

If you're working on barking at home, this might be good for you and your dog in the long run. your own dogs generally aren't dirty with you and pillow. She could have a good idea of the behavior before being put with a helper and upping the intensity. Every dog is different though :) They're a lot the same, but they always have something different. Keeps things interesting.

I wouldn't worry a ton on run aways. She has the right drives and with some reps of her knowing she can go get it, she's going to go harder. it's just a little something if you have someone to hold the leash you can work on. Think of it as a restrained recall except she gets to bite when she gets to you :) and hopefully the pillow Regardless of which way you go, her speed and commitment is going to pick up as she learns what is expected. At least I think it will from what she looks like in the video. So don't screw it up :D

You must be doing something good at home, because there was a lot of good stuff in that video for a young dog.
Great thank you! Yeah I'm trying to figure out different ways to work on things at home, before the seminar I was feeling totally lost but now I feel like I have at least a few ideas! I sure wish I lived nearer to a good club, but ah well.

It's good to hear that she looks ok, I'm so new to this sport that I have really no idea how suitable she is or if we have much potential, but regardless we are both having fun so that is all that matters! And we'll see where we get.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
I'm always so happy to see your dogs. What color is Onyx? Stupid question, I know.

Wonderful pictures, as usual.

Kootenay

I'm always so happy to see your dogs. What color is Onyx? Stupid question, I know.

Wonderful pictures, as usual.
Thanks! And that actually isn't a stupid question, because I never even really know how to answer it. I've seen the darker Malinois called a few different things, but I guess I'd call her mahogany with quite a bit of black overlay?

Members online

No members online now.