Question about two puppies

I'm getting two 8 week old Boston terriers from a friend who breeds. I was originally going to get two females (sisters) but I've been reading some posts on the Internet warning that two females fight aggressively when they mature. Is this true? Should I get a male and female instead? Need help!

I've always heard that, too. Also, that you shouldn't get two siblings out of the same litter. However, I have a friend that got a female and a male out of a golden litter and it's been fine. BUT, those are goldens. Females tend to be persnicketty and if they're siblings out of the same litter, you could be asking for trouble...

If you decide on a male and female you could have a accidental breeding on your hands too.I suggest only one right now.It is easier to train one puppy at a time.With 2 you might be biting off more than you can chew.When I bred Dobermans I would never let someone take 2 puppies.Its hard enough to housetrain one let alone 2 at once.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Also, that you shouldn't get two siblings out of the same litter
Crosby and Jada, our two Sheltie pups are brother and sister from the same litter and they get along amazing!! We've had two females before together and never had any huge problems, the only minor ones would have been the fact that one had doggy Aids and had a HUGE temper about everything.

Our breeder (sheltie) currently has 7 bitches and one nuetered male at her house and she RARELY has problems with them all, even when they are in heat together. As long as they are socialized properly from the beginning that is just a fable. ;)

bubbatd

I've never had ANY problems with any of my Goldens fighting ....but I too recommend not getting 2 of anything from the same litter. They are much harder to train . There's lot of insight to this is the book " How to Raise A Puppy You Can Live With"...Neil and Rutherford.

Doberluv

If you decide on a male and female you could have a accidental breeding on your hands too.I suggest only one right now.It is easier to train one puppy at a time.With 2 you might be biting off more than you can chew.When I bred Dobermans I would never let someone take 2 puppies.Its hard enough to housetrain one let alone 2 at once.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Except for a very short period, I've never lived with more than one dog at a time, so I don't know much about it.

But I've read (sorry, can't remember the dog book) that canine packs tend to have both a dominant male and a dominant female. That's why two dogs of the same sex tend to argue more, because they're both trying to get the top spot. The book reccommended that it's best to have a male/female combo, so neither feels overly threatened by the other. My cousin has two females, both with "take charge" attitudes, and there were a lot of squabbles between them until they sorted out their pecking order. They get along fine now, but there is still the occassional squirmish between them.

moe

I kept 2 out of our litter alaskan Malamutes. a bitch and a dog, and I can tell you its hard work training the two puppies at the same time, the pups tend to be more into each other that us humans, so we have to make efforts to seperate them and do individual training, although I love these two if I could go back in time I would have kept only 1 of them, as they are a dog and bitch to date there has been no major problems with fighting, but I am sure if I had two of the same sex, as they started to reach maturity there would be issues on who was the higher ranked, I persaonlly would never recommend anyone keeping two of the same sex from the same litter.

Mo

moe said:
I kept 2 out of our litter alaskan Malamutes. a bitch and a dog, and I can tell you its hard work training the two puppies at the same time, the pups tend to be more into each other that us humans, so we have to make efforts to seperate them and do individual training, although I love these two if I could go back in time I would have kept only 1 of them, as they are a dog and bitch to date there has been no major problems with fighting, but I am sure if I had two of the same sex, as they started to reach maturity there would be issues on who was the higher ranked, I persaonlly would never recommend anyone keeping two of the same sex from the same litter.

Mo
some one else agrees with me.

You are getting good advice here I hope you use it.You dont want to deal with a accidental inbreeding because you wanted two.You will regret it.You can do one now and one in about a year once you have good training done with the first.2 are very hard at once.I dont think any good breeder would sell 2 from one litter to anyone.I wont ,thats for sure.

Y

yuckaduck

German Sheperd Gurl said:
You are getting good advice here I hope you use it.You dont want to deal with a accidental inbreeding because you wanted two.You will regret it.You can do one now and one in about a year once you have good training done with the first.2 are very hard at once.I dont think any good breeder would sell 2 from one litter to anyone.I wont ,thats for sure.

Oh you are a meany aren't you? LOL

No way would I ever want a second pup and Yuck is 6 months old.

Fran27

It depends on the dogs I guess. But no way I could imagine having to train two puppies of the same age either, especially if there isn't another dog in the house. Getting another when the first one is calmer, housebroken and mostly obedient (whatever the age) seems like a better choice in my opinion.

For the accidental pregnancy, having both pups neutered at 4-5 months should prevent it though.

femke

I wanted two puppies to start with but we couldn't afford it so we just took the one... BOY AM I GLAD!!! there is no way I would have been able to handle training two at the same time. One is two hands full! Also as was said before in this thread I have been adviced by several dog breeders that you're better off to get one puppy and if you really want two dogs get the other one about a year after, if you take two puppies at the same time they'll bond with eachother rather than bond with you unless you make a lot of effort. Seriously go with one and see how you can handle that, if you think you can handle another one after you can always check into that later.

femke said:
I wanted two puppies to start with but we couldn't afford it so we just took the one... BOY AM I GLAD!!! there is no way I would have been able to handle training two at the same time. One is two hands full! Also as was said before in this thread I have been adviced by several dog breeders that you're better off to get one puppy and if you really want two dogs get the other one about a year after, if you take two puppies at the same time they'll bond with eachother rather than bond with you unless you make a lot of effort. Seriously go with one and see how you can handle that, if you think you can handle another one after you can always check into that later.
Good advice.Please listen.We are not all trying to be mean just informative.Some people can handle 2 puppies out of one lier but I would never sell a person 2 when I bred.I will not ever in the future either.

showpug

Keep in mind too, that people that take littermates usually keep them together all the time. The two littermates end up NEVER spending time apart from the day they were born. This can cause severe separation anexiety down the road if they are separated due to one having to stay at the vets etc. I would start with one, especially if this is your first dog. After your first pup is trained and spayed/neutered then if you feel up to it, move on to #2! Good luck, I love Bostons!!!! :)

Members online