Help with dog toys...

tracktoys

Gunner stays at home for most of the day by himself. I leave him the essentials like water, food sometimes, maybe a snack, and various toys. I was wondering if there were any toys that could keep him occupied for long periods of time so he can forget about us not being there for awhile. One idea I had was to take a rope bone and tie it to some kind of short bungy so when he pulled it would give and take, simulating some kind of interaction, not to mention what would happen if he let go. Up until tonight he had a ball that stored treats in it. When rolled over a certain way, treats would come out. He finally grew weary of it and tore it into many small pieces and simply poured the treats out all at once. It was a good toy for the last couple of months.

ANY ideas would be helpful. Gunner is still a puppy in every aspect save for size and needs a good workout during the day. Thanks in advance.

Y

yuckaduck

Try stuffing a kong. He will not destroy that! I use a bunch of kongs and stuff them with peanut butter and one with yogurt and dog food. I also freeze them.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
yuckaduck said:
Try stuffing a kong. He will not destroy that! I use a bunch of kongs and stuff them with peanut butter and one with yogurt and dog food. I also freeze them.
Do that, although you may want to go for the big black ones instead of the smaller red ones if he's a heavy chewer; a lab at work has just destroyed six of the red ones this week alone. The bungee cord idea is a neat one.

You can also go to the butcher and get him a big raw marrow bone. When he finally has the marrow out of it you can stuff that with assorted fillings and freeze it - that will keep him busy for a long time. :)

Y

yuckaduck

Zoom said:
Do that, although you may want to go for the big black ones instead of the smaller red ones if he's a heavy chewer; a lab at work has just destroyed six of the red ones this week alone. The bungee cord idea is a neat one.

I have one balck medium size and the others are the big blue/white ones. No damage to them yet and the medium black one was Jessies before and now Yukon's so it has been chewed at alot. They say on them whether they are made for aggressive chewers or not and they have a life time guarantee.

tracktoys

I have done the kong trick and yes he has grown weary and destroyed that as well. I will have to do a combination of some of these things you guys have posted about. I think the bone is a great way to keep him occupied. He has only seen them at his grandparents house and he loves them to death, I simply forgot about them. The only draw back is he will no doubt try and sneak it through the house. Wife will go nuts :D Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

If he's a dog who likes to exercise his jaws you might look at the Orbee-tuff chew bone. It's got a funny, squishy texture, but is tough as all get-out. The grrrls love them and will happily lay there and work their jaws for hours.

Bailey the roommates GSD/English Setter mix has destroyed red Kongs, Im gonna look to get him an Orbee or 2, apparently they are Filla tested and approved.

bubbatd

Give hi a marrow bone outside or in garage until meat and marrow's out...thenit will be clean enough for inside.

Members online

No members online now.