Important question- need all your opinions!

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Lol, dogs are perfectly happy to lounge around at home during the day. Their "bodyclocks" adapt to be active in the morning and evening, when you are there.

Fran27

Whitedobelover said:
then buy a play pen... some dogs such as dobes can jump over but some cant... if you put up the play pen hooked to the crate they have their sleep area and a bit of play area also... then they cant distroy things lol
I don't advise play pens anymore, ever since my 7 weeks old climbed repeatedly out of his.

not saying that you have to be home all day . i´m saying if your gonna be gone for more than 4 hours you should have a dogsitter or som1 who can take the dog for a walk..

Irish

Rocco, I agree that PUPPIES can't be left alone but c'mon, an adult dog? They do just fine alone for 8 hours. They get on a schedule, going potty before you go to work, holding until you get home. I've never had a pup, only adults and they all do great alone. Like Rene said you have to make adjustments, ie. I have to hide all food because Murray will forage. It is always so easy for people to throw out the "get a pet sitter" advice but you know what - that costs MONEY and if its not necessary, its just foolish. No, someone should not get a puppy without making the appropriate arrangements, but believe me my dogs do just fine being left alone while we work. They are very happy boys. In fact they probably sigh and say "finally some peace and quiet" as they stretch out on the couch! :rolleyes:

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Depends on the weather here. If it's really hot (most days in the summer) they stay in the house and my b/f can come home on his lunch break to let them outside. If it's nice out and we are both gone they stay outside and he doesn't come home for lunch.

Personally I would not leave a puppy in a room by itself unattedned for 8 hours. They get bored and will chew on things or dig. Plus they might learn it's ok to potty in the house.

We have 4 dogs currently, 2 are approximately 8 years old, 1 of them is over a year and the newest addition is 5 months. They are all at home from 7:10 a.m. until 2:45 when my kids get home. The only problems we have had is a potty pad being shredded a couple of times. I believe the 2 youngest were playing tug of war...LOL Other than that things have been good and we are generally home with them the rest of the evening showering them with lots of attention and play time. By 9:30 they are conked out for the night.

Adogstale

When I am not home

My dogs are crated.. if I am gone at work for 8hrs.. a student comes over and lets them outside during lunch.. and back in... kids are home at 3:30 and let them out. They are loose at nite.. however will usually be found laying in their crate with the door wide open.. LOL

Fran27

I crate the youngest when I am away, the other is in a (mostly) puppy proof room with a baby gate (the crate is in the room too). I've let the first one free in the house without any problem, but they are used to being in another room playing most of the day anyway. I'm just waiting for Tips to be a bit older, but he doesn't really need to be crated anymore.

But again, we've been away more than 4 hours only once since we got the dogs.

Members online