The cliched kid with a box of puppies in the parking lot...

So, anyone ever get a dog this way? My childhood cat came from a box of kittens some little kid was giving away in the parking lot of our local grocery store.

(not intended as debate on the evils of handing out puppies/kittens in a parking lot, just curious how common this sitcom situation was/is)

nedim

I've always seen boxes of puppies just laying on the sidewalk by the street with a "free to good home" sign.

Fran27

When I was living with my ex 5 years ago there was a guy selling golden retriever mixes for like $40 in the parking lot of the grocery store. Man, they were really cute. It's really sad though...

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
EEK! I hate when people do this... a friend of mines dog got out one day and I guess felt rather "randy" and decided to seduce the neighbours dog and they ended up having hound/boxer pups.. and her siblings took all the pups in a box and wandered around the park giving them away. I dunno.. i'm against it though. But I have seen it happen.

Irish

When my kids were little, my husband took them to KMart to get halloween costumes; they came home with a kitten. Frisky is still alive and well and 14-years-old now. I really didn't think any of it then, now I insist on getting our pets from shelters. I don't think I see that as much anymore though (people giving away pets at stores). Maybe its because now that there are so many no kill shelters?

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I can't say I have ever seen that here. I know it does happen though and its sad because you never know what kinda homes they are going to end up in or what kind of health problems they might have.

Fran27

Well it's much less of a problem with kittens honestly. Probably 80% of the cats out there are mutts, so they're less likely to have issues than most puppies sold in the same conditions. Cats are definitely less of a headache, lol. Almost all the cats I've had came from strays or people having kittens to give away, and all were wonderful.

Members online

No members online now.