And now Mia has no ear fringe

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Aren't those the same things as thinning shears? I have a couple pairs of those but I think the hair on the right ear is too short to even take those to the hair now. :yikes:

DJEtzel

Aren't those the same things as thinning shears? I have a couple pairs of those but I think the hair on the right ear is too short to even take those to the hair now. :yikes:
Yes, haha, the names are kind of like soda and pop... what people call them depends on where you're at I suppose. But yeah... there has to be hair there to blend! :lol-sign:

Lyzelle

Is the hair long enough to just blend out with a regular razor? As long as you brush through and don't go over one spot to many times, it should blend pretty easily.

I am so appreciating my smooth coated dogs right now. I adore fringe but I don't think I would ever want to deal with things that look like THAT!

Glad Mia is ok and didn't get hurt by them but total bummer having to cut them out. I might sleep on it and wait till morning till you even it up, things always seem to look better in the morning. Like bad bang trims :rofl1:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
EEEK NO! Shoot, I wish I would have seen this earlier!

If this ever happens again, you don't have to cut them out. Carefully crush the burrs with a set of needlenose pliers, and then they will brush out easily.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
EEEK NO! Shoot, I wish I would have seen this earlier!

If this ever happens again, you don't have to cut them out. Carefully crush the burrs with a set of needlenose pliers, and then they will brush out easily.
It wouldn't have mattered -- they were already cut when the thread was made. And considering Mia was screaming and they were at the park, unless Laurelin had a pliers on hand...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I had to make do while we were there with some plain scissors I had (not even dog scissors). She was screeching and I wasn't going to keep her that uncomfortable to drive all the way back home (plus not get to go to the park).

For future reference, how do you get the burrs out with the pliers? I'm having a hard time visualizing this. They were matted in so bad and completely wrapped in fringe.

Here is Miss NoFringe now.

nofringe by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

nofringe2 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

nofringe3 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

I'm trying not to :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: at her. I think a salvage job is going to happen tomorrow. Just cut them down evenly. I still am doing a double take every time I see her.

I think those burrs could have stuck into a fairly smooth (stock type) coat too but probably could be brushed out pretty easy.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Poor Mia! It will regrow though...soon she'll be symmetric at least.
She really does look like a pup again though lol...poor girl.

I think those burrs could have stuck into a fairly smooth (stock type) coat too but probably could be brushed out pretty easy.
They don't stick to either Kim or Webster. They will knock them loose but the burrs just fall to the ground. Occasionally Kim will have one ride for a couple feet but then it just falls on its own.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That is interesting. They even stuck to my jeans and tennis shoes. I am pretty convinced they're from the devil.

Uh....yeah... it's... something all right. lol I have told Mia I love her even when she's ugly.

And to think it looks better in pictures than it does in real life too. :lol-sign:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
That is interesting. They even stuck to my jeans and tennis shoes. I am pretty convinced they're from the devil.

Uh....yeah... it's... something all right. lol I have told Mia I love her even when she's ugly.

And to think it looks better in pictures than it does in real life too. :lol-sign:
Yeah it's pretty annoying to have to pick them off my sneaker laces while Kim is laughing at me. B****. :p

They don't stick to Mira's body either...it's just the darn feathering. Which I love. At least they comb out for her but yeesh.

And...pictures add 10 pounds of feathering? ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, maybe we've found something. How to make yourself look younger- cut off all your ear hair.

The worst... the absolute WORST is when it's cold enough to be wearing mittens or gloves, and you manage to get one out of their coat but then it sticks to your glove/mitten. Sadface.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Payton somehow emerged from our last hike in the woods this summer with a bunch of those in his mane. I don't even know where he picked them up. One minute he was fine, the next, burrs EVERYWHERE. Luckily I was able to brush them out okay. Ugh.

I agree, she does look like a puppy again, LOL.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Poor Lady! It really doesn't look too bad to me, but I haven't known many Papillons, so I'm really not a good judge!

I've encountered those burs on the beach. My foot was hurting with every step, so I finally sat down and took off my flip flop only to find my food was bleeding! One of those spike-burs from hell was stuck to the bottom of my flip flop and stabbing me with every footfall!!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh god, those are the bane of my existence. Rosey gets them so matted in her fringe, it's ridiculous.

I used to cut them out, but I found this comb that works WONDERS. It like, has blades, and just cuts right through the burr and separates the coat.

ETA: Oh, it's just called a dog matt breaker. :lol-sign:

Red.Apricot

We have those here--they're sticky besides the prickers, too. Elsie ran through some bushes at a creek and came up with over 30 once. I counted.

I sat there on the dirt road and pulled them all out slowly. It took almost a half an hour. :mad:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The pliers trick is something I learned from Setter people. Apparently once you crush them with the pliers, the tiny hooks disintegrate into little pieces of plant matter and cease to "pull" - then it's just like brushing out dead leaves. To make it even easier, apply Cowboy Magic on the affected area and the burrs just slide out, with minimal to no damage to the coat.

I didn't believe it until my friend's setter got into a bunch of cockleburrs, and we crushed the burrs with pliers and they miraculously were able to be brushed out easily. Darndest thing I've ever seen!

Members online