Teaching a puppy to respect gates

Grab

Leggiest Poodle puppy ever has no respect for any sort of boundary. This is probably because he spends most of his time bouncing. Our hall gate is tall and, aside from one time where he managed to get a foothold on the little cat door, he thus cannot get over. The standard gate that blocks off the cat area is no issue and the gate that blocks the dining room off, which is even shorter, is constantly being knocked over. Since it is screwed to the wall, this is problematic. That is the only gate that stretched 79 or so inches, so getting a taller gate is not an option. The other dogs, save for Newt, can all jump it if they chose to, but they all came installed with respect for boundaries, it seems. (except Nog, who can slip through everything)

Is there a way to teach him to teach them not to jump gates/slam into them with all of your might? I do reward him if I see him waiting on the other side of the gate without jumping, but that does not seem to be helping.

I know their breeder used ex-pens and such, so gate type things are not a foreign concept, lol.

Thanks for any ideas :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My dogs were taught to respect gates by the gates falling on top of them when they'd bump in to it...so I am of no help. Sorry! :eek:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My dogs tend to get a gate in the nose if they get stupid because I will shut it quick on them. Not that it touches them as the leap back!! But they understand.

Fred gets over excited with the child gate on the stairs, but I won't come through it now unless his bum is on the floor. Or I get pounced on. Even if I've been gone all of 5 seconds.

Kris, my Dobe, used to jump up at the back door when she was outside and wanted in and usually managed to hit the door knob and open the door. I started locking the door every time I came in and as I have a window in the door, I have taught her to sit and wait for me to open the door. I never open the door unless she is sitting and have now included staying sitting till I tell her she can come in. If she tries to bolt in the door, it gets closed in her face and she is not allowed in.

Luckily she has never tried to jump on the baby gate into my living room, or the one into my laundry room but I would do the same thing there if she started.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I do what Adrianne does: correct and replace for jumping, reward with freedom or attention (which is usually what they were seeking) for hanging out on the correct side.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Have a heavy board blocking them from wiggling under the bed, and then have the board fall on them while they try to get past it. At 7 weeks old. It makes an impression. :eek:

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
I do what Adrianne does: correct and replace for jumping, reward with freedom or attention (which is usually what they were seeking) for hanging out on the correct side.
We went one step further ...

We simply did not allow jumping
or testing of barricades.

It never took more than a few days
to teach any of our dogs to respect
the expected home boundaries.

Then the "gates" (cardboard sheets)
came down for good.

This takes more work initially,
but is much easier than fiddling with gates!

Members online

No members online now.