How long can she hold it?

TainaPR

Now im 100% sure this has been asked many times but Im on my mobile phone and cant search for the answer. How long can a puppy hold it? Ive bought Taina a kennel and what I hope to be the last pack of puppy pads so I can start teaching her to go outdoors. She's 'supposed' to be 5 and a half months (byb breeder were not sure of her real age) but im guessing shes around 4 and a half months. Thanks!

SaraB

My general rule of thumb is how ever many months old they are, plus one. So if she's 4 months, she can hold her bladder for 5 hours. This is for while they are crated though, not running around.

That is my general rule too...but keeping in mind all dogs are a bit different. Ivy could not hold it over 5 or 6 hours until she was over 1. Qcumber held it longer than that at under 4 months:/

Maxy24

I think they can hold it longer while asleep than while awake. Tucker could hold it overnight (8-9 hours) by 3 months no problem. During the day? No way. Plus when you first start teaching them to go somewhere new you need to take them out much more frequently than they NEED to. But I have heard the rule others have suggested before.

TainaPR

Im thinking right now may not be the time to start her outside training. Im gone from 7:30 to 3:30 and when I get home she has peed and poo'd once, sometimes 2 pees. I think once school is over (my oldest is out in 2 weeks) and I slow down on work I can get this done quick. Im already starting to take her our regularly but she still hasnt gone outside. Maybe tomorrow when her bladder is full.

porchpotty

My dogs usually hold it for 6 hours at night. During the day however, they pee every now and then.

Sparrow

When Zoe was a 2-3 month old pup, she could hold it for two hours if she was sleeping soundly and that was it. Potty training was rough!

Members online

No members online now.