Pregnant chinese crested powderpuff

I have a 2 1/2 yr old chinese crested powderpuff that is 60 days preggers with 5 pups. I have been checking her temp 3 times a day. Her temp this morning at 8 am was 98.5, at 1 it was 99.4. Her temps for the past 4 days have fluctuated between 99.5 and 99.9. This morning she refused breakfast but then ate lunch. Refusing breakfast is very unusual for her. At lunch she ate part and "hid" the rest in her whelping box. She seems to be acting normal now, but I'm confused as to her temp dropping and then slightly back up but still lower than normal. I also want to mention that she has had discharge, globby clear stuff for several days that started out as drops but is now stringy which I believe may be the mucous plug. Her teats have been full for several days and now are leaking milk and her pups have been quite active but not as much today. I still feel them move but they are much lower. I am wondering if this was the temp drop or if it's just more fluctuation? Thank you everyone!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Get her to a vet asap

Her temp should never drop and then go back up with no pups. She could have an infection or any number of life threatening problems. My bitch's temp dropped to 99.something and then went back up to 100.something 6 hours later. She almost bled to death because her uterus had ruptured and I didn't recognize it right away. The temperature thing was the big clue and the vet knew instantly when told over the phone exactly what had happened.

Not trying to scare you but it's not worth the risk of losing her and all the babies if something is wrong.

Omg, I never would have thought something like that! I mean she was just chasing the cat a few minutes ago.. I called her vet and the after hours number and he says that he thinks she is ok but will see her at the office in the morning. Now I just want to cry bc he thinks there's nothing wrong but I'm worried there is. I'm going to keep a close eye on her tonight and take her in as soon as they open. She just laid down and I reached over to pet her and she rolled over for a belly pat. She has more clear stringy discharge and her temp is 99.1. She doesn't ACT like she's in any kind of distress, in fact she looks pretty happy. I love her like one of my kids... I will keep you updated, I'm going to call around and see if another vet will see her tonight if at all possible.

Romy

Taxiderpy
It's good that she's acting normal and has energy! Sorry to have scared you so badly, and I'm really glad you called the vet. It was just so horrible almost losing Kaia, and I don't want to see anyone go through that if they can get to a vet in time to figure out what the problem is. ((hugs))

I took her in, vet says she's doing fine and is in the first stage of labor. If she's not done anything by tomorrow I'm to take her back in to be rechecked but he says everything is looking normal. Pups are in the right position so that shouldn't be a problem. This is her first litter and he said sometimes it takes a little longer for the first time. She is seeking out dark places and ignoring her whelping box at the moment. I'm having quite a time keeping my kids from running and checking on her every 5 minutes, she's started growling at them so I'm getting ready to try to get her out from under my daughter's bed and into the bathroom walk in closet where her whelping box is so the kids can't get to her and stress her. I have put her in there several times and she will stay for a little bit but then comes looking for me and won't let me out of her sight and I'll pet her and then she'll go hide but not in her whelping area. I think im in for a long day/night. My 3 yr old doesn't understand why she can't play with her doggie, so I'm trying to deal with that too. I've explained it for weeks now but being 3 she doesn't really understand :(

Ok tinkerbell now has discharge that is yellowish/clear. She's sleeping right now, doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She was lightly panting a bit before she laid down for a nap. I'm hoping this is a sign of puppies coming soon.

Another update... she's starting to push the newspapers and blanket around in her whelping box, also starting to lick at herself more, still taking a lot of naps though.

No pups yet. I'm going to take her back in. Had more discharge, and we went for a very short walk last night to try to get things moving. She just moved her playpen I had to block her from getting out the doggie door to go outside. I'm losing my mind and she has no patience for me this morning. Pups are active and seem ok. Her temp is starting to stay a little lower. 99.1 last night 98.4 this morning.

First pup born at 6:22 am, last pup born at 10:30am. Seven pups in all, all healthy and nursing. I'm so proud of my girl, we didn't lose a single one and she pushed them out like a pro. If I hadn't known this was her first litter, I would never have guessed it. She had no trouble at all, it was amazing and she is a wonderful mom!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
So glad both she and pups are doing well! And seven! Quite a lot for a little girl!

Thank you! Will try to get some pics here soon. She is very protective of them at the moment and hasn't left them at all. I've been bringing her water bowl to her so she will drink every half hour or so. She hasn't even came out to potty. After the kids are in bed and the house is quiet I'm going to try to get her to go on a potty break. If not I'm going to lay some newspaper outside her box so maybe she'll go there. I'm doubting it though since that is where her water is and she won't come to it. She growls if I try to mover her from her pups.

Members online

No members online now.