Crazy Pooch!

My 5 month old puppy has this problem with running around on our brand new leather furniture. The furniture is only 3 months old and good thing we have a warrenty because he tears it up. I do excerise my dog daily he just needs to do these laps on the furniture. He will stop and look at me and bark and bark and then start running. I know he wants my attention but when I touch him he has this problem that he doesn't like to be handled. I try fetch but that last like 2 seconds and he is really rough he's torn so many of my clothes. I've tried everything we get new chew toys weekly and I don't know what to do. :eek: I feel out of breath from that

Oh, I know what you mean! My boyfriend, Charlie, owns a furniture store, but we haven't brought home a new living room suite yet, even though the old sectional in his house is horribly uncomfortable. Shiva (115 pounds at 8 months now) does the same thing as your Arcata! She runs laps around the sofa and the living room! Truthfully, we haven't actually tried to stop her because she is just so joyful when she's doing it - and she makes us laugh so hard!

This is something I've used, but only with a dog big enough not to get its toes hurt (I used it on the bed): put SMALL, the smallest you can find, mousetraps on the couch. When Arcata hits the couch and they start snapping at her, she'll likely decide there are better pasttimes.

There are also the two old standby tricks that work very well, too, and I'd try them first: get a squirt gun and let her have it with cold water, or use something, like a balloon popping, to make a loud, unpleasant noise whenever she gets on the couch. Those two things have taught many dogs - and cats - to stop unacceptable behaviour.

I think that the squirk gun would just distract him. I don't know if thats the idea or what. I usually put him in a room by himself for about 10mins. Where he is there now for running on the furniture but I really feel like he doesn't understand why he is punished. I think I'll try the mouse traps. First I'll close it on my hand and see if its too bad or not. Thanks for all the information.
Also I don't know if this is normal or not but we buy him these nuckles and bones and he will drop it on my lap and chew it. I think that he wants me to hold it for him because when I throw it he runs and gets it and comes back with the bone on my lap. It doesn't really bother me just wondered what he was thinking

He's acknowledging your position as the alpha female of the pack in one of the most sincere displays of complete devotion a dog can make. Isn't it wonderful and humbling to know these creatures love us so much?

The water gun and the loud noises are supposed to be something unpleasant that the animal learns to associate with the behaviour you want to curb. Some dogs do just think the squirt of water is another fun distraction. I like the mousetraps because they don't associate the unpleasantness with you, just with the action that sets the traps off. It really works, you just have to make sure the traps aren't strong enough to hurt them. If you check it on your finger and it's not too painful, then it shouldn't hurt a paw the size of a 5 or 6 month old Husky. Arcata probably won't even actually get his paw in the trap, just set off the snapping noises enough to convince him he doesn't want to do that anymore.

Since the weather's gotten warm here now, I've just been leaving the front door open so the dogs can run in and out. That's cut back on the sofa races! Shiva and Bimmer are busy hunting and Kharma stalks imaginary monsters in the grass and barks at the cows if they get too close to the fence. By the time they're ready for the sofa, they just want to snooze on it!

Easier way to keep dog off couch!

I have the perfect answer for you! I had the same problem with my 2 labs! I decided to make something to keep my dogs down off the couch. I have sold 30+ to all different breed owners and I have yet to find a breed it doesn't work on. For more details on The Doggie Screen, please visit my Ebay store! (Edited out affiliate link- Admin)
It comes with a money back guarantee!

pitbulliest

Are you for real? I don't want to sound rude..but that is too funny. Why would you want to buy a screen to put on your couch when you can simply train the dog not to jump on it? It seems that the owner just needs to establish who the alpha dog is here..and do some good old fashioned training..the dog is young...he needs some lessons in manners thats all..not a ...screen..
lol my gawd

When i looked at the pictures i thought it was pillows.... I guess i am REALLY tired lol... i was like "Doggie screen? I don't see a screen all i see are a bunch of pillows on the couch" i had to click a few more pictures to get the idea of it :eek:

Kathy74

We live in the same uncomfortable sectional world as you, Renee!! Last night we were at my boss' house sitting on his wonderful soft leather couch...*sigh* we have only "sturdy fabric" in our future!! As for the screen, my dogs would probably knock it off, then be scared to jump back down to the floor!!

I'm lobbying Charley to bring home a sofa, big chair (or loveseat) and ottoman from the store. It's the most obscenely comfortable furniture I've ever sat in (read that perfect for laying around watching football!) and . . . get this . . . it's perfect for us dog owners - it's slipcovered, so that you can take the coverings off and throw them in the washer and dryer - in heavy duty denim! How wonderful is that?

Members online