I'm baffled - Very weird behaviour with the crate and going out.

TahlzK

I am truly baffled. I really need some other people's thoughts. I have already gotten some good advice/insight on FB but it can't hurt to also post here. The question is, has anyone ever experienced a dog doing this or what do you think it means?

Serenity is my Kelpie x Heeler, she's about to turn 3. She's had issues from the day I got her, she has fear/protective issues. Note: my room is in the shed, out the back so my door leads straight into the yard.

Serenity has always liked her crate. She'd go in there whenever she felt uneasy. In the past few months there has been times I've put her into her crate and when I've gone to get her out, she refuses to leave it. I didn't think much of it because she was only doing it once in a while.

A few nights back I was petting her while she was in the crate and I noticed she didn't want me to touch her. She was avoiding looking at me, she glanced at me twice. She'd back herself into the back of the crate, she'd lay down super slowly and lift her paw while in the back of the crate. I decided to leave her alone.

A few days since then I've noticed her weird obsession with the crate has gotten a lot worse. These past few days, whenever I let her into my room, she runs into her crate and if she doesn't run straight into her crate, she'll run into her crate after having a sniff of my room. Sometimes she'll constantly leave her crate and come back a moment later.

Getting her out of the crate is the hard part. If I use treats, sometimes she will come to me and sometimes she won't. Here are examples of what she does, she mixes it up, a lot.

Example 1. I'll use a treat and she may come up and eat it and stay out of her crate.

Example 2. She'll ever so slowly walk out of her crate, take the treat and run back to her crate.

Example 3. She'll run out of her crate, just about reach me and she'll run back to her crate without taking the treat.

Example 4. She will flat out refuse to leave her crate ad totally blow me off.

Here is my major annoyance. Whenever I call her to follow me out of the room she will bolt into her crate and its really really hard to get her to come outside. Sometimes she'll just stand at the door, staring at me and other times, she'll go lay in her crate. I can repeat me going in and out of my room and most of the time she will run to the crate instead of going outside. She does follow me often too, it depends on her mood. This is what she did yesterday but I also realised she did this more so while my family was outside but they were on the other side of the fence.

I've also noticed at times she acts perfectly fine and acts normal and doesn't do this weird behaviour when Sunny is crated.

I'm baffled. Sometimes she's good, sometimes she really mucks up. Lately it's gotten worse. I do have videos of this behaviour on my FB if anyone wants to see it.

I don't have any actual advice, but I will say that Gambit does the paw raising thing when he's really freaked out. I actually use his right front paw as a barometer of his stress levels

Oko

Silence, peasants.
No real suggestions but...so does she act normal when her crate isn't there?

TahlzK

Stillandsilent - I thought that's what it meant. Hmm, maybe I can teach her to show me her stress levels. How did you do that?

Oko - I have never tried that but before hiding in her crate, she used to hide under the bed or futon so she'd probably go back to hiding under those.

I have videos if anyone wants to see them.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Did something bad happen to her in your room or outside that could have sent her into a regression and into not wanting to come out of her space?

Members online

No members online now.