The Acid Test

Lil’ Sis is almost six months old. While she still looks like a leggy tube, I’ve decided to start entering her in puppy matches to get some “real world†experience because it’s been a while since I’ve stepped foot inside a ring.

She won’t officially debut until this coming spring, but puppy matches will give us a chance to get used to the show thing so that when she does enter her first “for points†show, both she and I will be prepared.

I guess I’m writing this post to sort out the plethora of conflicting emotions I have right now. Both Lil’ Sis and her brother Vader are show potential puppies. Both have flaws, but both also have some really nice pieces and each has the potential to become a champion of record.

How could would it be if Miz Naughty produced two champions! Gosh. Amazing.

I’m so so nervous about this. It’s my first litter. Lil’ Sis is the first generation of my kennel.

I feel like I’m totally exposed, now. People are going to be looking at my dogs with a skeptic’s eye and picking them apart and wondering why I made the choices I did.
It’s a little overwhelming to have something so precious as a puppy laid bare for the world to judge.

I guess this is my acid test. Will we make it? Will we fail? There is nothing to do but to try. I stand behind my choices and behind my dogs and I know I must make this foray into the world of conformation to prove myself.

And we’ve been working and training and preparing and I’ve showed countless videos and pictures of Lil’ Sis and Vader to my mentors and reached out to other people with similar bloodlines to get their opinion on the puppies and finally here we are. And I’ve got to take that plunge, or else all this hard work and research and planning and thousands of dollars spent will have been for naught!

And if we do succeed and Lil’ Sis does become a champion? The process starts all over!

We’re also going in December to get her HIC, but somehow I’m much less worried about that then the conformation, I guess because I’ve already seen indicators of instinct in her that tell me that we have a really good chance of getting her HT with a little work. Her pedigree speaks for itself when it comes to working ability.

That doesn’t guarantee that she’ll have instinct, and she could be a dud. I’ve been surprised before and I don’t want to feel too confidant, but something tells me that she and I will have a lot of fun together in that aspect!

Sorry to ramble!!! If you made it this far, thank you for reading!! I just needed to get some nervous jitters out.

joce

I love your pups! I drooled over pics you had up for days after telling my husband no more corgis!

Just want to say good luck!!!!

Awwww thanks!!!! That's very nice of you!!

Yeah, just nervous jitters, I guess!!!!

Her brother has his first show coming up in early October, and his owner told me that she doesn't expect to win, but that she was just looking for experience.

I *need* to have that attitude.

krissy

Good luck! I've shown my puppy a couple of times. I have nothing riding on conformation but I always have more fun the more I focus on our performance and the less I worry about how she'll place. And I'm all about having fun. :) So hopefully you'll have fun and the judges love her!

Members online

No members online now.