Leash recommendations?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I always thought I'd be a leather leash person, but now that I have Abrams, I would LOVE a leash that not only feels nice in my hands (like my leather leash does), but can withstand getting wet/muddy/sandy/gross without getting ruined, collecting an odor, needing maintenance, or one that is hard to clean.

Anything out there like that? If so, please share!

*blackrose

Sweet, thanks!

I am loving that the GDS leash can also be used as a slip lead - I have a nylon rope slip lead that is his primary leash right now and I love how handy it is at times.

He will be getting a dark green GDS collar at some point, too, to use when he is going to get wet and gross - he just needs to be done growing first, as I think he'll outgrow the size he's currently fitting in.

JacksonsMom

Allk-9! I am OBSESSED with mine, it is awesome from them. I have a 40ft long lead too in biothane, it's amazing. Super soft, super durable.

Saeleofu

I love leather, but I got to the point where it was getting annoyingly heavy to have it around my shoulder as often as I do. But I generally hate nylon, and biothane isn't that different from leather. SO, I made a leash out of tubular nylon. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. It doesn't have the sharp edges that most nylon does. It's now Logan's everyday working leash. I only use the leather when I want to be fancy ;) :p

I've never used a biothane leash, though I have considered one. Does it get sweaty when you hold it?

MicksMom

Another vote for AllK9's biothane leads. The thing I don't like about the other places that make biothane leads is the rivets. All K9's are sewn. And, since they're made for working K9s and MWDs, the stitching holds up. Plus, they really do feel like leather and flexible. I have a 6 ft 5/8 inch and a 10 ft 3/8th inch. The only thing I don't like is, because they are made for working K9 and MWDs, the snap on my 5/8 inch one is heavier than I like (but is fine for hiking & nosework when I use a harness).

http://www.allk-9.com/leashes-amp-tabs-all-weather-biothane-c-22_24.html

I have another biothane leash in coyote brown that I bought from another military supply site. It's thicker than All K9's, and not as soft & flexible as All K9's.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I've been thinking about a biothane leash for a while, too. So if I were to get a light pink lead, it won't fade over time? I'm tired of nylon that just fades and I'm rough on leads. Leather is nice for when I'm just taking a walk in the neighborhood or something, but yeah. Not for dirt barn agility class and hikes :p

MicksMom

I don't know about the leads from GDS, but the blaze orange Remington biothane collar I bought for Caleb has faded from the sun.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Another vote for AllK9's biothane leads. The thing I don't like about the other places that make biothane leads is the rivets. All K9's are sewn. And, since they're made for working K9s and MWDs, the stitching holds up. Plus, they really do feel like leather and flexible. I have a 6 ft 5/8 inch and a 10 ft 3/8th inch. The only thing I don't like is, because they are made for working K9 and MWDs, the snap on my 5/8 inch one is heavier than I like (but is fine for hiking & nosework when I use a harness).

http://www.allk-9.com/leashes-amp-tabs-all-weather-biothane-c-22_24.html

I have another biothane leash in coyote brown that I bought from another military supply site. It's thicker than All K9's, and not as soft & flexible as All K9's.
Big black horse sews theirs as well. They specialize in making equipment for horses so I took that as a hopeful sign that getting a biothane leash from them would hold up well. So far it is holding up super well and I absolutely love it. I got it in hot pink and no fading so far, but I haven't had it long enough to really comment on that.

*blackrose

Just ordered an Allk9 biothane leash. :D It's a 1/2", 6' just like my leather leash that I have (and love).

Decided to go with Allk9 based on how so many people love them, and the fact that they were the cheapest I could find. Now it just needs to hurry up and get here!!

(And my mom picked up Abrams' new collar for me while she was down in Indy today. So excited!!!)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Allk-9! I am OBSESSED with mine, it is awesome from them. I have a 40ft long lead too in biothane, it's amazing. Super soft, super durable.
This. I'm OBSESSED with my 1/2" biothane 4' lead. OBSESSED. Like, I feel like throwing away all of my other leashes and just getting all biothane. Eventually, I'd like to invest in a 6' for biking.. that will probably happen next summer. They are just awesome.

I'm working with dog walkies right now on some thin biothane tag collars. I will most likely have a thread on them later if you want to check back on them!

JacksonsMom

Allk-9 SALE!!!

Sept Sale
20% OFF! at ALL K-9 INC.
Sept 19th - 22nd

Discount Code: 19223

It's easy! Just go to WWW.ALLK-9.COM, enter the code 19223 in the discount coupon box during checkout and the 20% off will automatically be applied to your order.

Members online

No members online now.