Neapolitan pregnancy sign?

neocotez

Hi,
I have a two years old female neapolitan I mated five weeks ago today.
I've been looking up for pregnancy signs now. She is currently loosing her hair a bit everyday and now tends to eat anything she finds in the yard especially old dried bones.
Are these signs or is it still early?

S

SevenSins

Hi,
I have a two years old female neapolitan I mated five weeks ago today.
I've been looking up for pregnancy signs now. She is currently loosing her hair a bit everyday and now tends to eat anything she finds in the yard especially old dried bones.
Are these signs or is it still early?
You bred a NEAPOLITAN without knowing a **** thing about breeding and pregnancy? One of the most complicated breeds when it comes to reproduction?

neocotez

Please what do I need to know about Neapolitan reproduction and pregnancy, Is it often complex?

~Tucker&Me~

Please what do I need to know about Neapolitan reproduction and pregnancy, Is it often complex?
Yes I'm afraid it is. Take your girl into the vet and get an ultrasound. If you give us your approximate location someone may know a good breeder in the area who can assist you since I think it's probably too late for an emergency spay. If nothing else, hopefully a good breeder on here can at least give you some guidance to get you through this litter and then you can spay your girl after.

Breeding is tricky, complex, expensive and dangerous for a bitch. It really isn't something people should be doing without having a lot of knowledge and experience in a breed. It seems as though you didn't know any better and what's done is done but please do spay your female or refrain from breeding her after this litter. Breeding really ought to be left up to people who are active in their breed (showing, working, etc.) and have amassed a lot of knowledge and quality breeding stock. While I am sure your girl is wonderful, if you haven't done anything with her to prove she can contribute valuable genes to her breed and she hasn't been tested for genetic disorders than I really encourage you to spay her and enjoy her as a pet for her own well-being and safety.

Saeleofu

Yes I'm afraid it is. Take your girl into the vet and get an ultrasound. If you give us your approximate location someone may know a good breeder in the area who can assist you since I think it's probably too late for an emergency spay. If nothing else, hopefully a good breeder on here can at least give you some guidance to get you through this litter and then you can spay your girl after.
Five weeks is not too late for an emergency spay. They puppies are nowhere near viable yet.

~Tucker&Me~

Five weeks is not too late for an emergency spay. They puppies are nowhere near viable yet.
Thanks for the heads up, my medical knowledge of gestation in dogs is embarrassingly lacking.

Neocotez, I highly, highly recommend that your dog gets an emergency spay. If you are seriously interested in breeding Neopolitan Mastiffs down the road then you can always consider it after you have gained more experience and knowledge, not to mention a mentor and dogs who have been proven in the show ring and that have passed all their health clearances (this is more than a check up). Here is some info on the issues that neos are known to have:

http://www.everythingneo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=54

So, for example, since they are susceptible to hip dysplasia a responsible breeder will screen their breeding stock's hips with OFA or Pennhip to make sure the puppies won't end up crippled. Screening is SO important because a lot of dogs don't show symptoms of genetic conditions until later in life, at which point they could have already passed on their genes and produced 20 more puppies with heartbreaking conditions.

neocotez

Many thanks to you all for the helpful inktip.

Neopolitan has been my dream dog from childhood till date. I know how complex and expressionless they can be, as for my female neo, she looks pregy today still at five weeks. The four breasts under her belly appear quite fresher and she shadows me around. I'll see a vet today

Thanks

S

SevenSins

Thanks for the heads up, my medical knowledge of gestation in dogs is embarrassingly lacking.

Neocotez, I highly, highly recommend that your dog gets an emergency spay. If you are seriously interested in breeding Neopolitan Mastiffs down the road then you can always consider it after you have gained more experience and knowledge, not to mention a mentor and dogs who have been proven in the show ring and that have passed all their health clearances (this is more than a check up). Here is some info on the issues that neos are known to have:

http://www.everythingneo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=54

So, for example, since they are susceptible to hip dysplasia a responsible breeder will screen their breeding stock's hips with OFA or Pennhip to make sure the puppies won't end up crippled. Screening is SO important because a lot of dogs don't show symptoms of genetic conditions until later in life, at which point they could have already passed on their genes and produced 20 more puppies with heartbreaking conditions.

Sadly, hips are the LEAST of anyones' worries when breeding Neapolitans. If a breeder of these dogs doesn't have ANY idea as to the expense and complications surrounding breeding these dogs, I cringe to think of the suffering the DOGS are going to go through because the "breeder" won't know to educate potential owners on other breed-specific issues, like the fact that nearly all get unilateral or bilateral cherry eye by 6 months of age and why it is extremely important in this breed not to have them tacked back. That's just the tip of the iceburg.

~Tucker&Me~

Sadly, hips are the LEAST of anyones' worries when breeding Neapolitans. If a breeder of these dogs doesn't have ANY idea as to the expense and complications surrounding breeding these dogs, I cringe to think of the suffering the DOGS are going to go through because the "breeder" won't know to educate potential owners on other breed-specific issues, like the fact that nearly all get unilateral or bilateral cherry eye by 6 months of age and why it is extremely important in this breed not to have them tacked back. That's just the tip of the iceburg.
I recognize that neos have a number of other issues in the breed, but I thought that was the simplest example for the OP.

Two is BARELY mature in the giant molosser breeds. So young . . .

And then if the pregnancy IS successful it can be complicated to keep the pups alive after whelping. The female can lay on them, or they can easily suffocate under her excess skin, for example.

If you're lucky she's having a false pregnancy.

PennHip is usually the preferred test for these types of dogs as well. But, oh . . . so many health issues in the breed now :(

Kilter

Depends too on the vet, I know in some cases where they will spay later. At the high volume clinics I've helped at unless the pups are due right away, they spay. Sad, but when they're doing 200 surgeries in a weekend and taking 75-80 dogs into rescue....

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Oi vei!! Of all the breeds a novice would choose to breed!! Get to the vet and get help from an experienced breeder, ASAP!!

Members online