Anybody know flowers?

RD

Are you dead yet?
There are like 5 of these things growing around our house, and I have no idea what they are. Snapped a picture of one a while back, and just now found it.

My mother is a flower freak and even she doesnt know.. Anyone have ideas on what it is? It's driving her crazy. :p

RD

Are you dead yet?
Nope, Mak, I don't. I'll get one in the morning.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Reminds me of a "red hot poker" or whatever they are called???? Not very good with plants i'm afraid! They hate me! :D

Debi

if it blooms in the summer towards Aug., that is the full bloom. mine has sort of spikey green longer leaves, and then a tall stem with those orange tops. I forget what the heck the name is. 'fire' something, or 'flame'....LOL....I plant flowers but that doesn't mean I remember the names. (I know...big help) it's a perrienial (sp? brain dead today), right?

Debi

I remembered the name while vacuuming (my best thoughts happen then..LOL) it looks exactly like mine, and it is called a Torch plant. not sure about the lilly family, but the leaves do resemble daylilly leaves almost exactly.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Debi, I googled "Torch Lily" and I really think that's what this is. Apparently that was full bloom for this plant, I took this picture last month I think (the set date on my mother's camera is wrong, so I don't know the exact day the photo was taken) and the blooms are gone. My mom did dig up a couple to put in the front yard, so when she does that I will be able to get a better picture.
Smkie, I really don't remember but I think that little flower stalk thing was about 6" tall.

Thanks everyone! I need to learn more about plants, I know practically nothing. lol.

Debi

lol, Mac...Heaven forbid I argue with you, but mine aren't that dense and they are certainly Torch lillies. I don't understand the 'had to have planted it' part of your post. I'd assume someone did plant it. then stems on my plants are not a vivid green, either. maybe it's my less than amazing soil conditions. lol

RD

Are you dead yet?
..Keep in mind that this flower is growing in Arizona and not being watered. Would that have anything to do with it being so scrawny? It may be a young plant too, I'm not sure. I don't recall anyone planting it, and if they did they planted it in really weird spots, because the one I took the photo of was growing right in the middle of our courtyard. I thought it was a wildflower at first, but it doesn't look much like the wildflowers that you see here in the desert.

I say that it'd have to be planted because they're not naturally indiginous to the states...much less the climates we see in our neck of the woods, RD (actually, your neck of the woods is a bit more harsh than mine). They're a tropical plant.

As far as the green stems...all that I've seen were bright vivid green with red, pink, or orange petals. Google isn't providing me with any examples otherwise...all have a very clear green stem compared to the petals...this plant looks like the stem is teh same color as the petals.

That's one of the reasons I asked if there were any shots of the whole plant.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have a guide to wild flowers of north america. I just dont know exactly where it is but i will run across it and when i do i will look it up. I know i saw a pic of something very much like that. Cant remember the name.

Members online

No members online now.