Closest Breed to a Cavalier

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Coton Du Tulear? One of the trainers at the local club has one. OMG it brings a smile or a tear to everyone in the audience at the performance. Not a spaniel I know but what an amazing animal. :D

These dog breeds are closest to a cavalier, simply because they come from the same type, spaniel.

American Water Spaniel
Boykin Spaniel
Clumber Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
English Cocker Spaniel
English Toy Spaniel
Field Spaniel
Irish Water Spaniel
Sussex Spaniel
Tibetan Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel
French Spaniel

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
These dog breeds are closest to a cavalier, simply because they come from the same type, spaniel.

American Water Spaniel
Boykin Spaniel
Clumber Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
English Cocker Spaniel
English Toy Spaniel
Field Spaniel
Irish Water Spaniel
Sussex Spaniel
Tibetan Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel
French Spaniel
Papillons are also spaniels. Cavaliers were founded on a dog that was half pap.

Michiyo-Fir

If there's no size restrictions, the closest I've met to a Cav is a Golden Retriever... Albeit a Golden is a lot more boisterous.

However, I've had quite good luck with Cavs. We have one and she's fine except for a low grade heart murmur but she is almost 8. Other than that she's doing very very well for a breed with so many issues. A few of my friends have 4+ Cavs as well and they're all healthy.

Michiyo-Fir

Ime English cockers are pretty darn close. Papillons ime tend to be sharper than cavs .
I agree. I've met so so so few reactive Cavs. Almost non-existent as far as I'm concerned, but I've met sooooo many reactive, not dog friendly Papillons. Our Cav loves almost all dogs at the park, my Papillon doesn't like any of them and prefers to do her own thing like fetch.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh yeah paps definitely tend to be sharper and more high strung. But I come across some here and there (ie Summer) that are just dolls and sweet as can be with none of the erm... 'tude.

Mia is probably the sharpest and most unforgiving dog I've ever owned on the other hand.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Every shihtzu I've met has been the same kind of baby faced bucket of cute

not sure about health though

...I honestly like the longer muzzled BYB variety lol

Elrohwen

American Water Spaniel
Boykin Spaniel
Clumber Spaniel
Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
English Cocker Spaniel
English Toy Spaniel
Field Spaniel
Irish Water Spaniel
Sussex Spaniel
Tibetan Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel
French Spaniel
Tibetan spaniels are not actually spaniels - they are related to Asian breeds like pekes and shih tzu

As far as the others go, there is quite a variety in temperament among spaniels when you go from companion bred types (like Cavs and American cockers) to the dogs bred for hunting. A boykin is going to be very different to live with vs a cav, though the sweet spaniel temperament will be there.

I think out of the spaniels, a pet/show bred English cocker would be pretty similar in temperament to a Cav.

For non-spaniels, I agree with the coton and havanese. What about a lhasa apso? The ones I've met were super sweet, mellow, and velcro little dogs.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Tibetan spaniels are not actually spaniels - they are related to Asian breeds like pekes and shih tzu

As far as the others go, there is quite a variety in temperament among spaniels when you go from companion bred types (like Cavs and American cockers) to the dogs bred for hunting. A boykin is going to be very different to live with vs a cav, though the sweet spaniel temperament will be there.

I think out of the spaniels, a pet/show bred English cocker would be pretty similar in temperament to a Cav.

For non-spaniels, I agree with the coton and havanese. What about a lhasa apso? The ones I've met were super sweet, mellow, and velcro little dogs.
Coming from a groomer's perspective....Cavs are super sweet. Lhasas and Shih Tzu's can be little demons. For what that's worth. :lol-sign: The Lhasas I've met have all offered to bite (and/or bark/charge) in one instance or another, even the "sweet" ones that I liked.

Elrohwen

Coming from a groomer's perspective....Cavs are super sweet. Lhasas and Shih Tzu's can be little demons. For what that's worth. :lol-sign: The Lhasas I've met have all offered to bite (and/or bark/charge) in one instance or another, even the "sweet" ones that I liked.
Haha. Yeah, I should qualify that by saying I haven't met many! There was a lhasa in our agility class who was awesome - so eager to please, sweet, easy going, etc. Very cool little dog. But that may not be common. The couple shih tzus I have met were sweet little dogs too.

Similarly, American cockers are cool little dogs in theory, but then everybody knows some with horrible temperaments so it's hard to completely recommend them. I know a couple who are great dogs though.

So, many of you have probably noticed that my friend has a Cavalier. Lotta is very nice and sweet. She loves to cuddle with everyone :p She likes people so much. Lotta always goes to everyone and ask for attention. She also licks people :D Lotta is often also very naughty. She also just acts silly when my friend is trying to train her. So, Lotta is very silly and funny. :p

Lotta has been healthy so far although she's quite young...

Members online

No members online now.