Is "mutt" a bad word?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Maybe there was a form she was filling out..maybe that is why..maybe mutt wasn't one of the selections. If not, people are taking themselves much to seriously.

Doberluv

If mutt wasn't one of the selections on the form and that threw her for a loop, she shouldn't be working there.....or anywhere. :eek:

I think too, that people these days are often looking for any excuse to add something to the "politically incorrect list." Oh gee....could this by any stretch be construed as offensive? Yeah! Let's call it offensive! LOL.

Let's come up with a whole new, politically correct name for mutt. How 'bout multi-ancestral pooled dog. Or when asked "what kind of dog do you have?", "This is a dog of genetic non-uniformity." Heh, heh, hehe. Any other ideas?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I use "Mutt" as a term of endearment with my gang. They all get "Oh, come on, you silly mutt" and "hey mutt! you're so cute!" all the time.

I'd have no offense if anyone called Psyche a mutt - she IS a mutt. :p

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I use Mutt. I only have best guesses as to what Sierra really is, and I have absolutely no problem calling her a mutt! To me, saying "mix breed" denotes that I might know what at least one of her parents was.

protodog

Depends on the tone in which it is used. I've heard "mutt" used with great affection and with great disdain. I refer to Argus and McKeever as the muttlies, and I absolutely adore my dogs.

Also, people who use the word "mutt" in a snotty way don't sound any nicer when they use the word "mix" instead. And, in all fairness, I've also heard people mention the names of specific purebreds in the same nasty tone.

I figure that if you get worked up about needing your dog to be better than someone else's dog, it's probably time to seek therapy to get over not being popular in high school.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
It has had a negative connotation for many people for many years. I personally don't like it ....

According to Merriam-Webster

1 : a stupid or insignificant person
2 : a mongrel dog : cur (And although Curs are not bad dogs, the DEFINITION of Cur is not nice ...)

CUR:
1 : a mongrel or inferior dog

It's the origin of the word that's bad, but many people have changed it by common usage. I don't like the way it sounds and if I had a mixed breed, even of unknown parentage, it would be a mix, not a mutt or mongrel. But I'm an English major with a Linguistics minor and therefore take words quite literally ...

B

Blue_Dog

I've called all my dogs mutts. All though I knew Blue's breeds he was still a mutt.

Now that I think about it... I think I call all dogs mutts. Mutts or pups. :p

Catsi

Well, mutt is a term of endearment around here. I secretly want to name a dog Muttly one day. :eek: But I'll don't think I'll follow through... overall I prefer human names.

However, I do think it can be used in a derogatory way as well.

Miakoda

Nope.

Just some fools couldn't think up of any good insulting name to call someone else's dog so they used the word "mutt" and now more people think it's an insult of some kind.

However, as having worked in the veterinary field, I will say that using the terms "mixed breed" is what is almost always used in the breed space for a dog of unknown origin. ;)

Bailey08

I think there is or can be a negative connotation.

But I use it all the time! I think it's kind of funny. Especially when people seem proud of their X breed dog and ask me what mine is (especially especially when it's a new "designer" breed or a teacup dog or what have you). People do sometimes seem taken aback.

Anyway, I could say he's a mix, as he clearly is, but I also have no idea of what. People generally seem surprised by that too -- they want me to guess, or guess for me. Mutt just seems more accurate for B.

Members online

No members online now.