For those interested- neuroaxonal dystrophy

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Especially puppydog.

We got a firm diagnosis on Hiro's death. He had neuroaxonal dystrophy and is the first papillon ever to be known to have it. Info on the disease here: neuroaxonal dystrophy

They're working on finding a marker to be able to diagnose carriers. Both parents of the litter have been spayed and neutered since they're known carriers.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Thanks Laur! Does this mean that it was not brought on by vacc sensitivity?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
The description of the progression of the disease on the page you linked does not match Hiro's disease progression at all. Did they explain this to you? Maybe because it is a sporadic form it was a different mutation with a more rapid progression and way earlier onset? thanks for sharing all this, it is interesting.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The description of the progression of the disease on the page you linked does not match Hiro's disease progression at all. Did they explain this to you? Maybe because it is a sporadic form it was a different mutation with a more rapid progression and way earlier onset? thanks for sharing all this, it is interesting.
It is a new form of the disease which is more like the human infant version (INAD) of this rather than anything seen in dogs yet. Rotties generally progress over the course of years whereas in papillons it shows by 8 weeks and progresses very rapidly. I was wrong, though, it had been recorded once or twice in the breed before but very very rarely.

Members online

No members online now.