Weird Question about C-section scars?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Is this normal looking? Lol I've always wondered. It looks strange to me.

csection2 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

csection1 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

There's a lot of bumps under the skin. I guess it's fine since she's lived this long with it but my vet commented when we got her spayed that he was surprised and wanted to know if I knew she'd had a C-section.

Her belly just feels really icky though.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Kaia's vet closes them up in layers. Then she does an extra layer of staples on top which are totally unnecessary for holding it closed but are there to slow the dog down if she does manage to get at it and start chewing. They have a lot fewer dogs coming back in to get their guts put back that way. Maybe that's why the c section scars look so gnarly though.

Kaia has waaay more hair on her stomach than Summer so you can't really see it though. lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer's tummy got shaved last night so that's why I brought it up. It's so much more noticeable now that she's hairless on her belly!

Hers must have staples or something under the skin? I am not sure. I would have thought they'd remove everything when she was spayed?

Romy

Taxiderpy
It doesn't look like any staples were left, but they do seem to cause extra scar tissue to form. I don't have a pic of Kaia's staple job but it caused a lot of dimpling and bumps between staples and when it healed it was still pretty bumpy.

Staples would likely leave scar bumps on either side of the incision, rather than directly under it. It's quite interesting though! Glad it doesn't give her any grief.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's definitely under the skin and not on the skin... This happened about a year before I got her so I don't exactly know what went on.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Kaia's going to have another c-section next weekend so I'll take pics to document the healing process if you want. :p

Members online

No members online now.