Can a Border Collie thrive in an NYC apartment?

stellamo

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my partner and our 2 kids, ages 7 and 4. We live in Astoria, a very urban neighborhood in Queens. We are a very dog savvy family - we have raised 8 Labs for the blind (7 became successful service dogs) and fostered dogs for our local humane society. As a child, my parents owned German Shepherds and I helped train them in Schutzhund.

I love love our labs, but I want a dog of our own. I want a dog to do agility with and accompany us on our hiking and kayaking adventures. I want to train the dog to do tons of different tricks. I run half-marathons a few times a year and run about 25 miles a week usually. We are a very active family.

That said, do you think NYC is too intense for a BC? Too many cars, not enough grass? Or with enough mental and physical stimulation, does it matter at all?

thehoundgirl

I think it's definitely doable... as long as you give the dog proper mental & physical stimulation as they are a very active breed. Are you looking for a puppy or adult?

milos_mommy

It's doable, but tough. You may end up somewhat catering your life to your dog's needs. I think the key here would be finding the right BC. They can be prone to OCD behaviors and anxiety which would be difficult to manage in NYC. If the dog develops leash reactivity or wants to chase cars it's going to control your life.

That said, those behaviors will be less common in a dog getting enough exercise, which it sounds like you can provide. You also sounds pretty capable of nipping problem behaviors in the butt rather quickly. I'd say consider it doable, but also think of what's going to happen if the dog isn't adjusting well to city life or growing up into a stable city dog. I think getting a puppy from really mentally sound parents, maybe even a bench bred dog which won't be as fast, or an adult rescue who's known to do ok in those situations would be your best bet.

I will say I knew 100s of dogs (probably at least 400-500) in NYC, and I can say I never met one single BC that was a city dog. Even the agility instructors I knew there had miniature Aussies and JRTs mostly, some other breeds, but no BCs.

If i were you I'd probably look into some other breeds, and if you really don't find any as fitting as a BC, look further into finding the right dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin has spent basically his whole life living in studio apartments in BUSTLING cities, the truth is, they can live and thrive.

BUT
big but here..
1) it takes the right dog OF that breed. I've met aussies that could never live in this small of a space or adapt to the busy life of a 23 year old.
2) it takes sacrifice.
There is no "oh just let the dog burn off steam in the yard" "Oh yea sure I'll go to happy hour after work"
it means getting out there and exercising your dog. In parks, jogging, training classes, mental AND physical stimulation etc..etc..and it seems like you guys are quite an active family!

because a bored unhappy herding breed in an apartment will do some not great things lol

I don't think lack of grass or busy areas is an issue at all. Dogs raised in cities are more than adapted to it from what I've experienced, Merlin doens't bat at eye at cars honking construction or crazy drunk people yelling.

It would take the right border collie, again...because I've met a few that were too anxious for that kind of thing. (pacing, whining, barking etc...) and you have neighbors to worry about

thehoundgirl

I do agree it would have to be the right dog. I don't see any Border Collies that live in the city. They mostly live out in the country. Are there any other breeds you are interested in if a BC doesn't work out? Maybe a Mini Aussie?

stellamo

I figured a puppy would be best because it would grow up used to the sounds and smells of the city. Could be traumatizing for an adult rescue.

Considered a rescue from Glen Highland, but they rarely adopt out to families with young kids, let alone in cities...

My understanding of mini Aussies is that they are a "fad" designer breed. Is that a false assumption?

We are open to other breeds, but we want a dog smaller than a Lab and very smart and active. Easy coat maintenance, can't be a pit or similar breed (apartment restrictions).

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'd highly recommend looking into rescue to help find that 'right' dog for city living - a young adult who can take advantage of your hiking and running right away will be much easier than a puppy who needs exercise but not too much of the kind that is high impact (like running or super long hikes).

In addition, an adult will be more of a known quantity for things like sudden noises (BCs can tend toward noise sensitivity), traffic, other dogs, kids, and apartment life in general.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My big concern with BCs would be noise. A lot of the ones I know are really weird and sensitive about loud noises and I don't see them living somewhere that busy and noisy and not being anxious.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Most people I know who own border collies will tell people that they make lousy pets except for the right situations. They are first and foremost a working dog with working dog needs which need to be filled by something. They are not known for being great kid's dogs - they are known for being exceptional workers even when you don't want them to be.

That said the right dog imo would be the exception to the breed in border collies which could be better filled by another breed. Have you considered an english shepherd or even an australian shepherd? How about a mini aussie? What exactly do you want the dog for that cannot be filled by another breed with a better off switch?

noludoru

Bored Now.
I, too, think it's doable, but, just wanted to add that you can do all those activities with a Lab, too. ;)
Yeah, but I can see after living with a Lab or a few not wanting to repeat the experience in your next permanent family member. If you have a preference for another breed or type, I don't see why not.

It's doable, but tough. You may end up somewhat catering your life to your dog's needs. I think the key here would be finding the right BC. They can be prone to OCD behaviors and anxiety which would be difficult to manage in NYC. If the dog develops leash reactivity or wants to chase cars it's going to control your life.

That said, those behaviors will be less common in a dog getting enough exercise, which it sounds like you can provide. You also sounds pretty capable of nipping problem behaviors in the butt rather quickly. I'd say consider it doable, but also think of what's going to happen if the dog isn't adjusting well to city life or growing up into a stable city dog. I think getting a puppy from really mentally sound parents, maybe even a bench bred dog which won't be as fast, or an adult rescue who's known to do ok in those situations would be your best bet.

I will say I knew 100s of dogs (probably at least 400-500) in NYC, and I can say I never met one single BC that was a city dog. Even the agility instructors I knew there had miniature Aussies and JRTs mostly, some other breeds, but no BCs.

If i were you I'd probably look into some other breeds, and if you really don't find any as fitting as a BC, look further into finding the right dog.
Merlin has spent basically his whole life living in studio apartments in BUSTLING cities, the truth is, they can live and thrive.

BUT
big but here..
1) it takes the right dog OF that breed. I've met aussies that could never live in this small of a space or adapt to the busy life of a 23 year old.
2) it takes sacrifice.
There is no "oh just let the dog burn off steam in the yard" "Oh yea sure I'll go to happy hour after work"
it means getting out there and exercising your dog. In parks, jogging, training classes, mental AND physical stimulation etc..etc..and it seems like you guys are quite an active family!

because a bored unhappy herding breed in an apartment will do some not great things lol

I don't think lack of grass or busy areas is an issue at all. Dogs raised in cities are more than adapted to it from what I've experienced, Merlin doens't bat at eye at cars honking construction or crazy drunk people yelling.

It would take the right border collie, again...because I've met a few that were too anxious for that kind of thing. (pacing, whining, barking etc...) and you have neighbors to worry about
These are REALLY great posts. We have a few Chazzers with BCs in their apartments, usually for short periods, none had pleasant experiences I believe. It can definitely be done, but I'd almost suggest fostering one first to see how it works. Or consider a well-bred Aussie.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I do agree it would have to be the right dog. I don't see any Border Collies that live in the city. They mostly live out in the country. Are there any other breeds you are interested in if a BC doesn't work out? Maybe a Mini Aussie?
Erm, PLENTY of BCs live in the city. I'm in a huge city, and every other dog is a border collie. I'm not even exaggerating.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I think you'd be absolutely fine. It sounds like you intend to be quite active with it despite your small living conditions, and mental stimulation really is key. If you either got a rescue known to not be super motion reactive or sound sensitive or played your cards right in lines going from a breeder, you should be fine. I can instantly think of a friend of a friend who actually raised a service dog BC and lives in NYC. They aren't traditional for that lifestyle but if you make accommodations because you really love the breed, like it seems you're willing to, you can make it work.

I think my border collie, Feist, would be totally fine in an apartment. She also goes into the city frequently and it's no big thing.

milos_mommy

Erm, PLENTY of BCs live in the city. I'm in a huge city, and every other dog is a border collie. I'm not even exaggerating.
This is super interesting to me, just because like I've said I've worked with probably 500 NYC dogs and seen a lot more and I've never seen a BC in the city. I don't ever recall seeing border collies when traveling to other cities either, aside from the fact other cities are laid out VERY differently than NY and Queens.

I'm actually wondering if this has anything to do with BSL. I could say probably close to half of the dogs I see in NYC (at least medium-large dogs) are pit bull type dogs or mixes. I'm wondering how much breeds vary from cities with BSL and without...and if bench bred BCs and breeders are more easily found in those areas.

/end horribly OT tangent

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There's a lot of BCs and ACDs and Aussies around here so I do see them all everywhere. There's a BC that lives across the street from my office building. I see it walking almost every day as I leave work. There's at least 4 BCs in my (suburban/small yard) neighborhood.

I don't see bench bred BCs except at dog events.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
This is super interesting to me, just because like I've said I've worked with probably 500 NYC dogs and seen a lot more and I've never seen a BC in the city. I don't ever recall seeing border collies when traveling to other cities either, aside from the fact other cities are laid out VERY differently than NY and Queens.

I'm actually wondering if this has anything to do with BSL. I could say probably close to half of the dogs I see in NYC (at least medium-large dogs) are pit bull type dogs or mixes. I'm wondering how much breeds vary from cities with BSL and without...and if bench bred BCs and breeders are more easily found in those areas.

/end horribly OT tangent
Hmm, possibly, but I will say that I live in BSLtown and majority of the other half of dogs are "banned breeds". Well, that or malinois.

Members online

No members online now.