Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

A Dalmatian would fit this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey82 View Post
Anyway here is what I'm looking for:

loves training Ivan is always up for learning new things.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. Most Dals are good in public as long as they have had the socialization. Some tend to be more reserved with strangers than others, but they normally just ignore the strangers.

has a sense of humor. Dals tend to think they are down right comedians. Males more so than Females. Females typically have a very twisted sense of humor.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus. Ivans whole line, loves water.

longer lived Typically Dals live 14 to 16 years. At 8 Ivan still acts like a puppy.

Right now I work full time. I'm hoping to change my life style where my work can include my dogs but it hasn't happend yet.

I really like dogs that think. They are thinkers. Sometimes TOO much.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. As long as the off switch is taught to them, they have it. But I think that is typical with all breeds. If its just Ivan and I, and I'm sitting reading. He can lay down and chill. If there is more activity going on in the house, then he has a harder time with it.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. Dals are both, they can be independent but are also velcro dogs. Ivan has got to be where I am at. If I'm inside, he wants inside, if I am in the shower, he WANTS to be there. And being in the bathroom is not good enough, he wants IN the shower with me. Typically if you are that dals person they are velcro dogs, if you are not well then they are pretty independent.

Anyway suggest away.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Happy Lab

A lab seems to fit your situation nicely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey82 View Post
In the next few years I really want another dog. I've been doing research on so many breeds. There are definately some breeds I love but will never own, however, there are more breeds that are on my maybe list than I will be able to own in my life time so looking for suggestions.

Anyway here is what I'm looking for:

loves training Labs are always willing to learn something new.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. This goes unexplained, everyone knows labs are very good people dogs.

has a sense of humor Labs are constant comedians, as I'm sure you know.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Labs love the water.

longer lived They typically live 12-15 years, I'll let you decide whether you think that's long or short.

Right now I work full time. I'm hoping to change my life style where my work can include my dogs but it hasn't happend yet.

I really like dogs that think. Can't help you there since they're not know to be intellectual beasts, sorry

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. Labs have around medium-highish energy, and are happy to burn it however you want. Swimming, walking dog sports, and off leash activities all sound like something a Lab would enjoy. They tend to be happy with sleeping around the house and playing with toys until you are ready to get out and go, so the off switch applies to.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming I'm glad of that because grooming is a major part of owning a lab.

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. I don't need to tell you that Labs are velcro dogs in the purest sense. They are never happier than when they are near you and they will follow you around the house when you are home. However, you might have a few issues with separation anxiety.
Anyway suggest away.

-Dave Barry