Dominance in Domestic Dogs

BostonBanker

As far as the origins of dogs - has anyone else read Dog Sense yet? I'm not finished it, but the first couple of chapters are about how exactly dogs became what they are. Obviously what we know changes frequently, and the author says such, but I was fascinated reading it - it all made more sense than much of what I've read before in my mind. I'm reading it on my Nook, so I haven't really looked at the references yet, but it is clearly cited and the author is a scientist, so hopefully they are decent references.

I'd be very interested in others' take on it.

RaymondMarcoLimbrecht

RaymondMarcoLimbrecht
I think Dog Whisperer has great advice on Dog Dominance

I am not sure the episode, I will look for it and post it here but I recently saw an excellent episode on Dog Whisperer where Cesar Millan focuses on dog dominance. He states:

One of the first things you should to create a strong bond and balanced relationship with your new dog is to be the pack leader from day one. Knowing your pack takes time, patience, and acceptance. Then formulating a plan, setting an intention, and following through is what creates even more strength in your relationship, bond, and its depth.

Check out his site for great tips. He's helped me a lot :)

Raymond Marco Limbrecht

Danefied

I am not sure the episode, I will look for it and post it here but I recently saw an excellent episode on Dog Whisperer where Cesar Millan focuses on dog dominance. He states:

One of the first things you should to create a strong bond and balanced relationship with your new dog is to be the pack leader from day one. Knowing your pack takes time, patience, and acceptance. Then formulating a plan, setting an intention, and following through is what creates even more strength in your relationship, bond, and its depth.

Check out his site for great tips. He's helped me a lot :)

Raymond Marco Limbrecht
Being a leader to your dog has nothing to do with dominance. Dominance is nothing but a descriptor of who is in control of resources. It should be (and is) a complete non-issue in dog-human relationships.

Leadership versus Dominance | Dog Star Daily

Barbara!

I haven't read most of the thread, but Kathy Sdao has some good stuff on this also. Love her.

Members online

No members online now.