Domino's Night Barking - HELP!!!

I have a new 12 week Papillon puppy who has started barking in his crate at night. He is perfect in every other way but the lack of sleep is KILLING ME :( ! The first 4-6 days was tolerable. I believe in crate training (especialy at night) but he now barks for at least 30 minutes every 1-2 hours. My husband would like to have him sleep in bed with us but I would rather not. Please help. Thanks! :)

Try the old ticking clock trick. Set an old fashioned clock that ticks near the crate. You might also try tossing a light piece of fabric over it - being sure you leave enough open for ventilation - to darken it and make it feel more like a den.

If it's not already, it might help, too, if the crate was in your room. Some people say to have it in a separate room, alone, but dogs are social creatures and if you think about it, their natural state is to sleep near others. Mine have always slept in my room with me - not necessarily on the bed, although I've woken up many mornings with a German Shepherd beside me! Bimmer is quite happy as long as he's got a soft place by the foot of the bed. My spoiled girls sleep in the living room on the sofa, although sometimes we wake up and all three of them are piled up on the bedroom floor.

poodlesmom

Another thing to try is to take a tshirt that one of you has worn and which has your scent on it and put it in the crate with him. I have never tried it but I have heard of many who said this has helped them.

It is also important to not respond to his barking at all. Don't even tell him no - that is attention and that is what he is looking for.

It will get better :)

Debi

maybe try a warm/hot water bottle (if you think he won't chew it to pieces) wrapped in a soft blanket...he may feel like he is sleeping next to another little warm body, like when he slept with his littermates. :)

Thank you to everyone who left their ideas. I put them in place last night and he slept like a baby! I put him down at 10:00pm and set my alarm for 3:00am to let him outside for a potty/praise/love break. Then I put him back in his crate - He was awesome! Not one little peep!!! This has been the only problem I have had with him and, after reading other puppy owners issues, I feel extremely lucky. Thanks again to all my new friends!

Members online

No members online now.