Wanting a dog....

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Ajay said:
If you wern't to get a dog as a puupy like a young aged dog but fully grown would the cat get used to it then?
I got my large dog when he was 8 months old. I have two cats, one who has lived with a dog before, and one who had never even seen a dog. They all get along wonderfully. It depends on the temperament of the dog and cat.

If you can find an older dog who will get along with cats, go for it! I think dogs 6 months and older are great. They can hold their bladder longer than puppies, and have less puppy issues to deal with.

O.K., I'm going to add my 2 cents worth here being a mom who listened to 2 children ages 13 &17 who have begged for a dog since they were little. Well..... we gave in last October and got a yorkie female 12 weeks old, cutest little thing you'd ever seen. I was promised everything from these kids, including walking her, cleaning up after her, feeding her and playing with her. Well they did well for a while and then of course their after school activities started and we had to reaarrange schedules, then came spring time and I remember my son calling me after school asking to go to a friends house, I'm like sorry you have to go home and let Cocoa out... His response was "I'm a kid I'm suppose to be with my friends not under house arrest taking care of this dog".. Now this was the dog he begged for since he was like 3... Please, please think about this and make sure your parents are willing to do all the work because after about 3 months they will be doing all the work.

suzilex

Hi JRT4ME
is your jrt called Lexi I couldn't quite make it out on your picture or if it's Rexi my schnauzer is called Lexi and I have not yet come across another with the same name?
Sue

Fran27

YorkieLover said:
O.K., I'm going to add my 2 cents worth here being a mom who listened to 2 children ages 13 &17 who have begged for a dog since they were little. Well..... we gave in last October and got a yorkie female 12 weeks old, cutest little thing you'd ever seen. I was promised everything from these kids, including walking her, cleaning up after her, feeding her and playing with her. Well they did well for a while and then of course their after school activities started and we had to reaarrange schedules, then came spring time and I remember my son calling me after school asking to go to a friends house, I'm like sorry you have to go home and let Cocoa out... His response was "I'm a kid I'm suppose to be with my friends not under house arrest taking care of this dog".. Now this was the dog he begged for since he was like 3... Please, please think about this and make sure your parents are willing to do all the work because after about 3 months they will be doing all the work.
Yup this is so true. At 14 you don't want to get such a big responsibility, so make sure your parents will agree to take care of the dog too.

I agree with YorkieLover. You need to make sure that this dog is wanted by your entire family, and you need to think about whether you really want the responsibility of having to feed, groom, walk, and train a dog every day. My first dog was originally adopted for my sister who was at the time thirteen (as old as I am now). She had begged for a dog for years, and while my parents had allowed her to have other pets, they hadn't yet allowed a dog. Finally they told her she could have a dog. She was responsible for training the dog (which she did quite well), walking it every day, feeding it every day, and bathing it when needed. But if she couldn't do these things, such as if she were sick, my parents would do it. They also took care of vet bills and such.

Now it is my repsonsibility to care for our first dog, and the two others we added in the last couple of years. Every day I have to get up, let them outside and refill their water bowl. I let them back inside, grab some breakfast, and start school. Throughout the day I let them out and pet them when I can. After school I walk them all (which takes me about two hours), feed them (takes five minutes to prepare their food, then I have to wash their bowls which takes about five minutes). They aren't groomed or trained every single day, but most days I'll go outside and review their commands, and work on new ones. They also get brushed probably at least once a week. A yorkie or other long-haired breed will need more grooming than a short-haired breed to make sure the fur doesn't tangle. A yorkie would also need professional grooming visits every two to three months. You can have a yorkie clipped if you don't want to deal with so much grooming.

As I said earlier though, you should go with a heavier, sturdier breed.

Here's some info on different breeds and such :)
http://dogbreedinfo.com/ready.htm
http://dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm
http://dogbreedinfo.com/pug.htm
http://dogbreedinfo.com/englishcocker.htm
http://dogbreedinfo.com/americancocker.htm

Ajay

My family would take care of the dog they love animals. I just don't know how I would approach my mum about getting one?

yoko

yeah having the family want it too would help a lot. since you are 14 you never know what will happen in the future. what happens when you get a bf? you want to go on a date but your dog got sick/hurt. will you call of and not be angry with the dog?

its after a college class do you want to go out with your friends? what about going home to mess with your dog.

just remember if you can't always care for it and your family isn't whole heartedly wanting a dog as well. your dog could end up in the pound or lonely because no one plays with it any more

Members online

No members online now.