Any has experience in volunteering?

Hey
Well I think I now should take part in some social activities... that's a good and an advisable for such an ambassador (im an exchange studnet to the US)
Besides school... I think I can do some small, not-very-time-consuming volunteer jobs like taje care of the abbandoned pets or something like that at the humane sociey.
Does anybody have any experience on such thing?
I looked up in the Internet but the information is kinda out of date so... I'll try to look up more.

Fran27

I have, if it really counts because it was short.

You need to contact them first, I don't know how it works there, for me there was a meeting with about 20 other volunteers when they talked to us about how it works etc. It's probably your best way of knowing what to expect.

It's funny, they told us the first day that actually most people who volunteer give up fast. And it's true, I gave up fast too, but I'm sure it depends a lot on the places. There, nobody talked to me, people were pretty cold, all I was able to do was just walking the dogs, but I wasn't able to go on week ends and it's probably when they need help the most. Mostly I quit because I really fell in love with a couple pets and it was really hard for me not to be able to take them home.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
most animal shelters require you to put in a certain amount of hours per week/month if you want to volunteer, so i wouldn't call it "not very time consuming".

i'd look up phone numbers for local organizations and call them. :)

i volunteered at an animal shelter a while back. I had to quit because it wasn't a no kill shelter and it depressed me. I mosty cleaned out kennels and I even got to socialize some dogs. It really hurt me when I saw a dog not get adopted out. If you can handle that, go for it. It was a fun thing to do though and it probably looks good on any resumes or something.

jxxlxxs

Reugar's Mom
hey- i work at the stark county humane society and for our volunteers, you need to call first before you plan on going up there and let them know what sorts of things youd be interested in doing and theyll let you know what time you can come in, for example, the shelter opens to the public @ 11, so if you would be interested in helping cleaning, you would need to come in before 11 ( and they would have to know youre coming so they can let you in), and if you would just be interested in petting cats/ walking dogs and like supervising people looking to adopt then you can just show up whenever and stay however long you want to. ( you would need to check with your local shelter to see exactly how they do things there, thats just how they run things here). also, if youre not 18 yet, you need to have a parent/guardian come with you the first time to sign a release form . hope that helps!

Members online

No members online now.