Need lots of help

Uhm in new here and i am an unexperianced breeder or i guess thats what you could call it. They no longer wanted my current dog cause she was pregnant so i took her in. Her pupps are now 3 days old. Unfortunately , one was still born and the other one died today cause it got cold and i wasnt aware of such a thing till now .

What do i feed the momma dog ? She looks very skinny .
What temperature should the puppies be in ?
Will touching the puppies alot cause the mom to reject them?
Why does my dog cry sometimes as if she was trying to tell me something ?

Help . I know im dumb because i dont have experiance but idc i really love animals and wasnt about to let a poor pregnant dog to her own fate .
Thanks to all who can answer the questions :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yarekinssss you might get a better response to your question if you start a new thread. Most people won't realize you've posted this, the breeding forum or general dog chat would both be good places where it will be seen. :)

Bear, there is nothing wrong with unusual breeds, so long as they fit your lifestyle and experience. :)

All four of the breeds you chose are livestock guardian breeds, and the dogo argentino is a powerful hunting breed on top of that (made for hunting boar). They are all very challenging to train and socialize, which is why I asked what your dog experience is and what kind of temperament and things you prefer. They are all very large, powerful, independent, and tend to be suspicious of strangers and defensive of their territory/families

If that's the type of dog you want, then that's great. You need to be aware of the liability of having a LGD if you fail to socialize it properly. It's also very important to get one with a stable temperament from a good breeder, because in giant powerful dogs with strong defense drives, things can get very dangerous pretty fast if they're starting life with a bad temperament and especially if they aren't socialized, trained, and managed properly.

They are bred to work independently of their handlers for the most part. Your dog's first reaction to an intruder will be to deciding whether they are dangerous not. They don't typically look to people for guidance in deciding these things. They use their life experience to decide whether or not someone's behavior is threatening, and that's why extensive socialization is crucial. If you have a very good relationship with your dog and it respects you, it will probably listen if you tell it to leave something/someone alone. If not, then your dog is going to do whatever it wants. That includes snarfing cakes off the counter and strewing garbage all over the house.

Training LGDs can be challenging because they have an attitude of "eh, you don't know what you're talking about." They love their families very deeply, but they're smart enough to know you don't have as good a sense of smell as them, you're not as strong or fast as them, and so you have to prove to them that you're worth listening too. It's very different from a dog like a German shepherd or a border collie which will listen to you and sit 40 times in a row simply because you said to.

Personally I find it a very rewarding dynamic once everybody understands and respects each other. For a lot of other people, they really don't like that at all. To me it's more like having a giant companionable bear for a roommate than a master/dog relationship.

If that sounds like something you want to live with, then one of those breeds might be for you. If not, let us know what you're looking for and I bet between all the people on this board we can come up with suggestions several breeds that would be a great fit for you.

Members online

No members online now.