Quick Bloat Reference

Good chart.

One thing, though, in the first stages: antacids don't get rid of gas, it needs to be something for GAS. Simethicone usually works faster and more thoroughly than other remedies.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
If you have a breed prone to bloat, get a tubing kit from your vet to have on hand in case of stage 1, and have them show you how to use it!

yoko

This chart is great but also if you think it may be bloat don't wait for the symptoms on this chart before going to the vet.

While this is a great quick reference for someone watching your dog the best thing you can do is know your dog.

The first time Yoshi bloated the symptoms I saw were from the second line. The ONLY reason I knew something was wrong was because I knew what Yoshi felt like normally and how she acted normally. Her stomach was kind of hard but it was how it normally feels after she eats but when I gave her a chicken strip she didn't eat it she set it down and stared at me.

She wasn't restless, anxious, salivating, or trying to vomit. She was acting normal and even trying to play.

The only thing I had to go off of was my dog didn't want a chicken strip. That's so far from my Yoshi it was the only red flag I needed. I was lucky that I had read about bloat on here. She's a mutt but she has a similar body structure to most of the breeds that are prone to it.

I live out in the country and called the vet told them I thought she was bloating and started driving.

Right when I got to the vet she started showing symptoms from Phase 2. Her stomach stuck out so far it was almost as large as my fist if I flicked it, it sounded like a drum. She started trying to vomit and did that every minute or so. At first it looked like normal. I had gotten her to eat a few small treats and thought it had gone into her stomach but once she threw that up it was only foam. She was having trouble walking, her legs were spread really far out and her head was down so low her nose was almost on the ground.

I was lucky she made it that time and the few times after that it has happened. And I think this chart is a great idea. But if your dog is built like or is one of the breeds that is prone to bloat you really need to know ALL the signs and ways to check quickly. If you even thing your dog is bloating I recommend taking it into the vet. This is one of the cases where minutes really do make a difference.

This chart is great in that it gives things to look for. But IMO it doesn't stress how fast things can change enough. And doesn't stress at all that a lot of dogs don't show any symptoms or that some 'skip' phases.

I know not everyone can. But I'd much rather pay my $30 office visit and them tell me nothing is wrong with Yoshi than wait 10-15 minutes to see if another 'phase' shows up.

Members online

No members online now.