Vehicle Set Up

I searched but did not find this topic but if its been a discussed subject, my apologies.

This weekend I made the trek to a show in Greenville, this time around just for support and shopping, but I am very unhappy with my set up and would love to know what everyone else does and if there are pictures or links you may have please share.

I have a 2013 Ford Escape, its first remodeled year (which thats been fun..not)but basically it changed from a box to a more hybrid look of suv meets four door sedan. Lots of room as far as interior height, its a bit narrow in the cargo area which is annoying, but I can still fit everything I need. My problem is trying to meet in the middle of safety and comfort. My dog is most relaxed when sitting on the back seat but obviously not safe, she has a panic attack if tethered and chews threw the restraint and if she can't reach it she chews on the seats (not ideal of course). Crated she will not relax, she willing loads, she just does not relax. So I have had the crate in different places in the car and trying to fit everything else, I am just trying to see what everyone else does as far as set up to get more ideas. Ideally I would like for her to ride in a crate and I may have to buy a larger crate to help her settle better, I am also hoping to get ideas of what everyone does for storage and how you guys deal with uneven surfaces. One of my big problems is that there is a definite slop towards the bumper in the cargo area which makes the only level place the cargo area when the back seats are folded down, however its not ideal having the crate sideways.

Anyway this was way longer then I intended so please, bring on your set ups and links and pictures!! I need ideas!

BostonBanker

Interested to watch and see what people have. I just bought a new car (a 2014 Escape, in fact), and am planning to get a more permanent set up worked out for it in the coming months. Right now, both of my dogs can be crated in the cargo area. I think I'm going to wind up getting VarioCages for them this winter, because I'd really love to keep the back seat up if I can.

I admit that what I'd really like to do is get the VarioGate and let them just have free reign of the cargo area, but 1) It obviously isn't as safe and 2) I think Meg seems more comfortable crated than loose.

So the Variocages and an Animalarm are my current plan. I need to measure carefully, because I'd love to have someone build a base/drawers for under the kennels if that would fit.

LMost

sorry but googling it, I don't see a very good way for large crate without at least 1 rear seat down. Also don't really see a way to secure a mess guard for crateless. Personally don't like the dog seatbelt harnesses.

MicksMom

Well, you just confirmed what we assumed about the 2014 Escape. :(

We have a 2004 Escape and absolutely love it. When we have Caleb with us, we fold down the back seat on the driver's side and slide his Vari Kennel (#400) in there. When I took it to a trial last week, I also folded down the passenger side back seat to put all my other stuff. The crate will also fit sideways, which gives us a little more storage room, but it's a little tight for Caleb to get in that way. Most of the time, tho, the "Calebmobile" is my 2000 Ranger with an extended cab. Caleb rides behind the seats, and all my gear goes in the bed.

I am hopeful to hear how people combat slant and storage ideas. Its the one thing I didn't notice and could kick myself for is the slant of the cargo area. The problem is two fold. In the perfect set up I would be able to put her crate in on the passenger side and load in and out of the back. It gives her room to get in and out and gives me the most left over room. However the back seat is a 60/40 split with the 60 being the driver side. So for the passenger side set up both seats have to be down, driver side set up I can leave the one back set up, nice if I suddenly need to drive an extra human. Either way though I have the slant. The portion of the crate on the back of the seat is level but the front of her crate is on the slant. Empty it sets level, with her crated it tilts just enough that I have to try different things to level it. I will run into a bigger problem if I decide to get a larger crate as the head room is limited above the doors, so the crate has to be more centered, good by storage room and rear view mirror sight line, which is tough anyway, hello tiny cargo glass I am talking about you.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The issues you describe are why I ended up with a RAV4 when I was shopping in 2012. It's a 2011 and when I first got it, I outfitted it with two 36" SUV crates in the back behind the second row seats. They baaaarely fit, but it did the job and I could add another crate (30" or 32") on the seat if needed.

About 6 months after I purchased my RAV, I was able to swing a Variocage for the rear cargo area, and I <3 it! It makes crating out of the car super easy and my second row seats are way more comfortable to sit in now (they were set super straight with the crates, recline more naturally now) and I can fit a 36" SUV crate on the seat now as well.

In addition to my variocage, I also have BreezeGuards on my rear windows for extra ventilation without compromising my vehicle's security (much, they could be breached by someone determined). I'm planning to add a Ventlock soon as well. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Funny you should start this thread because I was about to start a similar thread. I have a 2006 Ford Escape. I hate it, but I'm stuck with it for the time being. I'm getting ready to move cross country and really want all the dogs crated for the trip. I have three dogs with one of them being a tall longer dog so it's been a bit of a challenge trying to figure out how to make it work.

I have my back seats folded flat. Joey has an SUV crate that goes where the back seats normally are. It has a front and rear entry so each door is facing one of my back seat doors and I can load him up on either side.

I bought two of the smaller SUV crates (36") for the remaining space. I measured it out and thought I had the room but it didn't factor in the curve on the hatch door and my measurements were a little off because of the wheel wells. That said the SUV crates do not fit next to each other and I just wasted $200 on them.

I need to have my husband get in there and measure everything out but I'm hoping if we build a little platform that goes across the top of the wheel wells that we can either fit two medium size crates or one larger crate sideways with a side entry. Bamm and Cricket can be crated together if needed as long as the crate is roomy enough. I like the idea of the platform as well because that would give me extra storage space underneath.

MicksMom

...However the back seat is a 60/40 split with the 60 being the driver side...
When we looked at our Escape, I was thrilled with the bigger split being in the driver's side because of visibility. I'm pretty sure that's why it's done that way.

Some wire crate manufacturers make slant front crates.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Following this thread.

I currently have a 2004 GMC Canyon. Basically a mini-pickup truck. I've got a cap on the back (which I'd love to remove, but alas it is very handy). I currently have the rear seats down and mats over them with a 24"? crate. Biggest that will fit back there. It's terrible, but one ACD fits in there okay.

As much as I hate the idea, I'm seriously thinking about adding bed kennels. So if anyone has recommendations for that (or a better setup idea for a pickup) that would be greatly appreciated! I can't really go over $500. Also, heating/cooling ideas would be fabulous as well since they will be detached from the main systems.

Sorry I'm not any help to the OP situation. :p

MicksMom

... As much as I hate the idea, I'm seriously thinking about adding bed kennels. So if anyone has recommendations for that (or a better setup idea for a pickup) that would be greatly appreciated! I can't really go over $500. Also, heating/cooling ideas would be fabulous as well since they will be detached from the main systems... :p
My last Ranger had a cap. Since it had a standard cab, anytime there were two people and a dog, the dog had to go in the bed. I put a wire crate back there and used bungees to tie it down. On warm days, I opened the windows on the cap and the cab, including the back slider of the cab and the front slider of the cap, and also hung a crate fan. But we pretty much stayed local with the truck. Check out some of the working dog (K9, MWD, etc) type web sites. You might find something there.

noludoru

Bored Now.

SaraB

Honda. Element.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hon...zZfIBJvzgvAC&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=641

Ask Sizzle for pics of her set up, it's brilliant. It fits two people, three Dobe-sized crates, and all of her stuff that might be needed for a trial/show on top.

I want one so bad. :p

I'd also recommend a Scion XB: https://www.google.com/search?q=hon...=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=off&tbm=isch

EVERYTHING FOLDS COMPLETELY FLAT.
I have a 2011 scion xb. The rear seats do not fold flat and my husband had to make a platform to set crates on to compensate. I could fit three smallish crates in it.

NowNow have a sweet cargo van and Ruff Tuff crates. Love my new setup!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Welp, I have a 2000 Impala and I fit two soft-sided crates in the backseat back-to-back. The boys go in one together and the girls (if I decide to take Pepper too) go in the other. Crates for the trial itself and any luggage is in the trunk.

It's not ideal at all and I would much rather have something different, but at the time I bought it, I was only planning on two dogs, so this setup was all I needed.

Right now I want a Chevy Captiva (or the Captiva-body Vue) because the seats fold flat, and there are plenty of tie-down spots in the back where I could potentially latch a crate to. I am probably going to end up with an Equinox, which does not have seats that fold flat, but has been around much longer and more widely available, so I'll be able to get one cheaper. As for what I'll eventually do for crates, I don't know if I'll switch to all wire or plastic or what. I like the soft-sided crates for a few reasons but would like something different for other reasons... not sure.

SpringerLover

I currently have a B5 Passat Wagon. I have a 36" crate secured sideways in the hatch. With this set up I can take two dogs in the back seat, one in the crate, and two people. However, this doesn't leave me much room for 'stuff.' I really want to be able to crate two dogs in the back, which has had me looking at Variocages. I have always preferred seat belts for my dogs but some dogs can't sit next to one another *cough Bailey* so I have to look for other options.

We all buy vehicles for our dogs don't we? Before the Escape I had an Explorer, loved it, one of the last model years still made on the truck wheel base. However when it turned over 99,000 a whole crop of problems came up and I thought.."eh maybe I will JUST look as the gas mileage is terrible and has only been getting worse and there is so much trialing to do...." so I got swept up in the moment of "Holy Crap a mid-size SUV that I have head room and knee room!! I'm being punked right now aren't I?" Plus gas mileage!!

I am thinking that I may just need to get a larger crate so she settles better, her current crate is appropriate as she can easily turn around, lay stretched out if she chose to, but she can not raise her head all the way and I think that might be her issue. Her home crate is a weird size that I have on permanent loan. Its old school heavy wire and its the same space on the bottom as her car crate but oddly 4" taller. As far as arrangement goes....may wait for a few more ideas. We are making a huge move in a year and half or so, so I'm trying to be creative without too much investment so we can cram in all the shows we can and have a functioning set up, as after the move I won't have a car for some time if ever again so the set up won't be going with us.

Continue please!! I need more ideas! Loved the links.....tupperware bins...so many ideas.

Members online

No members online now.