How to talk to dogs? What to say? Please help

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
I've got myself in a stupid situation. I'm training as a groomer, and I work with my boss who is the one training me and I find it really hard to relax and be myself around her, because she is the boss, and because I feel very "intimidated" by her. I've been trying so hard to just relax and be confident around her but ..its hard.

But because of this, I cannot talk to the dogs in front of her. I feel like an idiot, I generally have NO experience with animals so I find it really difficult to know what to say to the dogs anyway.

Now she wants me to be able to talk with the dogs, otherwise I fear I am going to get fired.

Any tips on how I can just chill and be myself, and what I can talk to the dogs about?

Saje

Island dweller
I suppose you are talking to help relax them?

Tell them a story about your day.
Tell them about what's going to happen next.
Tell them about your dogs.
Ask them if you should move back to the UK.
Baby talk them lol.

What does your boss talk about?

Fran27

You know, I felt the same way when I volunteered at the SPCA. I was really intimidated by the dogs, if not downright scared when they were jumping on me. As there wasn't anything else to do than walking the dogs, and I wanted to bring all the cats home, I stopped going.

Now that I have two, it's much easier for me to talk to them. But it is hard to force yourself to do it, one of the reasons being that, well I don't know about the others, but I feel like people would think I'm crazy if I start talking to the dogs.

What do you feel when you see a dog? Are there some you find really good looking or have a very good character? Just petting them saying what a good boy or girl they are is a good start. I know I would personally overdo it, like 'can you give me your paw' etc, but you don't have to go that far, lol.

RoxyBoxer

pretend there human lol just more smelly and with a strange obsession with licking everything ;)

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Well it depends. When I work with my boss I don't usually know who the dog is. She doesn't really talk much to me either exept to train me, I don't really know what to talk to her about.

She wants me to volunteer at the SPCA.. I've emailed them.

I just wish I could be myself around her, the myself I am when I'm with the other girl I work with.. who is much easier to relax around cos she talks the socks off everything and she isn't the boss lady!

I'm going to try so hard tomorrow. If I don't improve she's not going to be happy. I do really really want to be a groomer, but this is making me question if I'm ready. Maybe I need more experience with animals, but this is giving me experience right? I wish to anything I had my own dog, I really do. I've wanted one forever, and it would be so much easier to talk to other dogs if I had hands on experience with my own.

Also its much more embarassing when she's expecting me to talk to them and listening to me or something. I wish I had just done it from the start. And I do talk to them, just very quietly. Mostly all I say is good dog or bad dog though. I think thats what annoys her. She thinks I treat them like objects, and sometimes I feel like I do to. But I don't mean too, its just that I need to talk to them but, basically, I feel like an idiot.

Saje's advice is perfect :)

Have you considered that your boss finds it as awkward to talk to people as you do? Sometimes the best way to break the ice is to just say that you are nervous and tongue tied! You'll often find that the other peson is feeling exactly the same way, or at least understands your feelings.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
This is what I will say to my dogs, just as soon as I see them when I get home.
"Hi Azzy, gosh you've put your feet in the water bowl again, you are the dopeist dopey dog I have ever met, come here" Then I'll give him a hug and it goes on from there "Do you want to play tug, ooh you are a big ferocious wolf dog, those are some loud growls for such a little puppy, oh whoops, I know you are all grown up now huh?"
It doesn't have to mean much, just say what you think or feel.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I'm a groomer, and when I'm in the process, I just go through what I am doing. Like, "OK, I'm about to clip your nails, stay still(yea right)." I baby talk them, etc.

bubbatd

Sorry,,, it comes naturally to you when you love dogs. It's something you can't learn. I personally can't blame your boss, as you groom talking and reasuring the dog should come naturally... What a good boy...give me your paw, sweetie,, such a good boy, oh aren't you beautiful !! etc etc etc. Don't think of what others are hearing... this is you one and one with the dog. Personally , if my dog was groomed without any interaction , I would never go back.

yoko

i come home and when i'm letting yoshi out i say somethign like 'yay you went another day without peeing in your crate good girl!!!! goood girl!!' and then i tell her about my whole day ^^;;

Fran27

I agree with Grammy, but I think it's just much harder when you're not used to being with dogs. Honestly I was feeling just the same way when I was volunteering at the SPCA with the dogs there - I'm not sure it will help you much to be honest, especially as the dogs over there are often really excited, which is even more intimidating when you have no experience.

So, I really see both ways, but I know exactly what Grammy means... One of the vets I go to never talks nor pets my dogs or cats when I go there. On the other hand, another is always talking to them and petting them, there's just no doubt which one I am going to go see now.

So I don't have much more advice, try to be natural but I'm not sure you will ever feel comfortable doing it until you have a dog on your own. And it's really normal, you shouldn't feel bad about it...

RD

Are you dead yet?
Fran is absolutely right - It is tough when you're not used to dogs.

I don't necessarily babytalk the dogs I groom, but if they seem to like it, I'll talk (quietly) their little ears off. "Ohhh what a dirty puppy, bathtime! Yessss, you're gonna feel soooo much better when you're done! Aww, you're being such a good puppy! [20 minutes later] oh, you're so purdy and clean now! oookay, time to trim your nails.. goooooooood puppy!" etc. Sometimes I don't even talk to them, I just click my tongue or make a kissy sound to get their attention.

Just hearing a happy tone of voice and their name seems to really soothe dogs. Being 'violated' silently is more upsetting to many dogs than having the same thing done while being talked at and distracted. lol.

It's true talking is a great for calming dogs down if you use a happy and relaxed tons of voice. Sing-songy voice is also great for calming nervous dogs without being too reinforcing. Constant chatter also lets the dog know where you are at all times if he can;t see you so you won't surprise them. This really eases their nerves cause they can pin point your exact location.

I keep up a constant chatter when working with any animal, but especially the rescue horses since they tend to be a little more flighty. If you're quiet and depending on your movements around the you could actually end up mimicing a predator which REALLY can end up freaking them out. If you read my "good and bad" post in the fire hydrant, you'd have read about Pixie freaking out and galloping around the ring madly with Ldy at her heels. It was my chattering that helped slow her down and let me come near her because my voice reassured her and she knew if I was calm, there was nothing to fear.

What do I talk about? Well it depends who's within earshot. If there's other people who might over hear me then I just let the horse know what I'm doing next, or tell them about school and such. If no one's around then I tell my deepest, most pestering secrets. I talk about my friends, parents, general gossip, mistakes, accidents, etc. Stuff I couldn't even bring myself to talk about with my best friend,I tell them. Remember, they'll hold your secrest forever ;)

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Thanks for all you guy's advice.

Today went really well actually - I think the problem was that me and my boss needed to sort our own issues out, me not being able to relax around her and talk to her was making her kind of the same with me. Today was so much better - I made a real effort to just chill out and relax and I was talking to the dogs fine. Its not that I cannot talk to dogs.

Its true though that once I have my own dogs it will come so much easier.

EliNHunter

Oh! But all dogs are special, they don't need to be your own! Just look into their wonderful eyes and talk to them like they're a friend who can't reciprocate with human words. Hunter knows at least 1/2 the english language because I just constantly talk to him and he understands my movements and reflections while I do it and learns certain words from it. When I was younger and training/showing horses, my trainers would tell me to just "TALK" to the horse as we were going around the ring -- talk about what's been bugging you, what's been going well, how your job's going... etc. It doesn't matter! It just trains them to listen to you and watch for certain words that they'll pick up on. And it makes them feel special if you're talking and paying attention to THEM. If you're grooming a "duh" dog who obviously isn't talked with at home and seems to not reciprocate anything, be sure that they ARE picking up on your conversation with them (if you're sincere in talking TO them). It may sound crazy. But, for instance, I use "dog slang" with my dogs. But they know exactly what I'm saying because of the consistency with my tone and inflection and what they get in return. For instance, I'm on the computer right now with Hunter sleeping soundly at my feet. It's 6:30 at night and he should eat dinner soon. All I have to do is say in a soft voice "HUNG-GEE?" And he'll jump up ready for Mamma to fix his dinner! Lol... :p

bubbatd

....... where as here if I'm on the 'puter at 5 P.M.. Chip will come in with his trill type gargle , do his little pacing dance... I say " suppo time ?" and off we do . Spoiled brats !!!

Members online