Shadow's being spayed tommorrow...

and I'm so nervous for her! It seems such a big operation for my little baby girl! Im going to be a nervous wreck all day.

How long do dogs take to recover after being spayed? My vet said she has to go in 48hrs after her op for a check up, then 8 days after for her stiches out. They told me she needs to rest, no jumping or stretching for at least 3 days. I'll be looking after her for 2 days, lee for one and my mam and sis for 2days. Do you think she'll be ok on her own after 5days?

Im so worried for her. :(

bjolly

don't worry - I know it's scary when your baby has to have surgery but spaying is really routine and she'll be fine. My old dog was very tired the day of the surgery and was mostly herself after that. She should be totally fine after 5 days - at that point you probably won't even be able to tell anything happened.

try not to worry too much! :)

bjolly said:
don't worry - I know it's scary when your baby has to have surgery but spaying is really routine and she'll be fine. My old dog was very tired the day of the surgery and was mostly herself after that. She should be totally fine after 5 days - at that point you probably won't even be able to tell anything happened.

try not to worry too much! :)
THANKS, YOU'VE PUT MY MIND AT EASE NOW.

I DONT REALLY KNOW ANYBODY WITH FEMALE DOGS, ONLY MALES, AND I KNOW THE NEUTERING OP IS LONGER/MORE DIFFICULT FOR FEMALES (SO I'VE BEEN TOLD), SO I WAS WORRIED. BUT I FEEL SLIGHTLY LESS NERVOUS NOW.

avenlee

I ditto what bjolly said. She will be tired the first day. Just don't get her over excited for a few days to insure the stiches don't rip.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
They aren't going to use the stitches that absorb into their skin? That's odd, that's the only kind I've heard of using in a long time! But back to your question, depending on how much of the anesthetic wears off before you go pick her up, she may or may not get sick on the way home. Jasmine was fine when I had it done, she was very tired though and slept the rest of the day. Katy got sick on the way home from the vet, and she slept for about 2 whole days almost. Maggie, I don't know about her because she was spayed when she was very young since she had to have a hernia removed from her stomach anyway (I didn't have her at this point). That's just too weird that they're using regular stitches... I don't know though, it's all the same probably ;) But don't worry, she'll be fine!!! I've known tons of people that had female dogs spayed and not once did anything happen that wasn't suppose to!

they said they may not be able to spay!

Well, lee took her to the vet this morning and they told us they may not be able to spay her! :mad:

When I rang to make the appointment I asked to see if they needed to get history from my normal vet, especially because of shadows condition. The vet asked me if she'd had any trouble with anesthetic (sp?) I told them no, because she hasnt, and she said no we dont need her records then. Now when lee dropped her off, they said they'll need to get her records and may not be able to do the spay! :mad: ggggrrrr! I know they are only doing it to cover themselves and to make sure shadow is safe, but I asked them when I booked and they told me no! thats soooooo annoying!

Thing is she has to be done today. I've asked my mum to look after shadow on mon and wed, shes had to book leave from work, and lee has booked the 10th off to take her back for her stiches out. Lee wont be able to change his days off, neither will my mum. So if they dont do it, it will mess everything up. I cant take any time of work as I have no annual leave left.

I have to ring them at 1.00pm to make sure they have done it, and that everything went ok. fingers crossed.......

Debi

I can tell you that I took home 2 days of pain meds for my Addie, and we sure didn't need them at all (at $20.00 a pill..geez) she never acted tired, or bothered with her stitches...she was so normal that I actually wondered if they really did it! lol I kept her as calm as possible, but that was so hard since she never experienced any pain or discomfort whatsoever. I'm surprised they aren't using the stitches that absorb, too. I also haven't heard of regular sutures in ages. I'm sure it depends on the dog, but it'll be ok...just give her those big hugs. :) Addie's worst experience in the entire procedure was having to stay, which they kept her 2 nights (the one before surgery, and the night after) boy was she excited to see us!

Members online

No members online now.