Getting quick to recede - best resources

My old shih tzu is a terror about nail trims. Over the years I've tried desensitizing her, but inevitably she needs a nail trim long before I've made the slightest bit of progress, and then we're back at square one.

At this point, the groomer won't even do it.

The quick has gotten quite long, and I've read that small frequent nail trims can help to get this to recede. Has anyone actually accomplished this?

What are you best dog nail trimming resources? It terrifies me, and I've had some bad experiences (and my dogs could tell some tales).

BostonBanker

I think I've finally got Gusto's receding a bit. He's always been kind of okay about clipping, but he's got these long flat feet and his nails just seem to grow faster than any other dog I've met.

The big change for us was switching to the dremel. I can get them a lot shorter with a lot less panic about making him bleed and setting back his tolerance. I try to dremel at least twice a week with him (sometimes it's a bad week and I do it zero). But I've got it to the point where his nails don't seem to be touching the floor when he's standing, and that is a big improvement over the talons he had previously.

There is a tiny part of me who can't wait for some situation where he has to be sedated, just so they can dremel them down to the very shortest possible without hitting the quick. They did a great job with Meg's (which weren't nearly as bad) when she had her dental done.

Members online

No members online now.