Get a dog more for yourself, or your current dog?

I think Astro is the bigger factor, honestly, so I'm looking at breeds that are more suited to him than anything else. I have admitted as such on this forum before. Of course I'm the one who'll be paying the vet bills and so forth, but my list of beloved breeds is a mile long - and there are only certain types of dog that Astro will thrive with. He is VERY dog-friendly but it's to the point of over-exuberance, so he needs a dog who will put up with wrestling and paw-face-slapping and nose-poking and WRESTLE WITH ME MORE WHY ARE YOU TIRED?! He's not one to deal with peaceful co-existence, he wants to be brawling :p Fortunately, he does back down if told off, but I'd still rather not bring home a dog who will be fundamentally horrified by his play style.

Though I think it all intersects: I love pushy dogs with no respect for personal space, and that's part of why I got Astro - and that's what meshes with him in turn. So I'll be getting something fairly similar to him, for my own preference but also to not wind up with a dog who's constantly annoyed at Astro's shenanigans.

Torch

I don't see me ever getting a dog for my other dogs really. I mean, I like that Didgie and Traveler get along so great and I wouldn't add in a dog that totally didn't mesh at all so I'm happy I know Traveler has loved every sighthound he's met.

But, at the end of the day I'm the one that's going to be training, exercising and living with this dog for hopefully many, many years and I wont' get a dog that isn't exactly what I'm looking for because it might not be on the top of the list of what my two would like.

And I think a lot of times people worry too much about what their current dog will like. Most dog friendly, stable dogs work things out just fine. You also can't always predict who they will like but I think normally they come to like their fellow house dogs just fine. I know Hannah absolutely loves Traveler even though he's everything she normally hated in a dog and Didgie in all her annoying managed to endear herself to Hannah and Kaylee.

Get the dog you want and that you think will fit with your overall lifestyle and want. Jackson is a part of that, but he isn't the whole of it.
I agree. I don't see myself not ever having a bulldog, and let's be honest, DA will always be a concern. So I may have to always be aware of crate and rotate or dogs that can't really co-exist together. Do I have that now? No, thank God, but it could happen in the future. My AST pup is 7 years younger than my older dog, so there may be another AST in our home during his lifetime.

So I would definitely get another dog for me mostly and the accommodations that I would have to make.

Members online

No members online now.