Will this crate be too big/just right??

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
No...the first crate link should just barely fit if my metric to feet conversion is right. I have a dogs that are 24.5 and 25.5" tall and they have 42" long crates both in the house and travel crates.

I went bigger because agility trials can be all day events and I wanted a crate the boys can have plenty of space to stand and turn around. I think that my 25.5" boy just barely has enough room to stand in a 36" crate like the one you posted in the first link. 63.5 cm is 25" according to google. Your dog will have to crouch in that XXL crate. I would go one more size up.

Don't even bother with the cheaper crate...the 23" is the width and the height of the crate. He will have to crouch 2" to fit. That would suck for comfort.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I always go big for safe measures. My pop up crates are probably sheltie sized for the paps.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Agree with the others - the size down is going to be waaaay small, especially for all day events. The first one you linked to will be likely to fit well, though.

Can you get the EliteField brand soft crates? I can via amazon in the US and I've been very pleased with the quality and the price was way better.

I just bought a new wire crate for Kris, my Dobe, and got the 42 inch one. She sleeps in it at night or if I am going somewhere and can't take her. The wire crate she had was a 36 inch one but was a little narrow for her. She sleeps curled up and the 42 inch gives her lots of room to curl up or stretch out. They were on sale for half price so I only paid $150.00 for it.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, issue is I want the crate to bench Fred at crufts. There's tons of public and noise and I want to get him in there with a bone to chill. You can't leave before 4pm. No matter what!!!

The benches are obviously a set size... I don't know the dimensions :/

DJEtzel

Hm. I guess I'm the odd one out. When I take crates to shows, they are smaller than what I would keep them in at home, because I just don't have the room or muscle to move around 48" crates. In the car, too, Frag gets a 36" crate and he fits just fine. He can stand up and move around to reposition himself, it's just a little tight. When half of his time is out walking a festival or trial site and then coursing/jumping/running, it's not that big of a deal to me one or two days out of the month for a few hours.

That first crate is the size I put Frag in. Frag is 27" tall and 80lbs.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn& B have giant crates for agility ..they spend lots of trial time in there& I don't think it's fair to stuff them in a cramped crate then bring them out, ask them to jump, bend& run then stuff them back in cramped crate.

Even with a warm up& warm down, it just doesn't seem like a comfortable answer. I figure they work hard for us so the least we can do is give 'em lots of space! I guess if I wasn't asking for something physically demanding, it might be a little different. I just can't imagine being cramped then sprinting around then going right back to being cramped.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
Penn& B have giant crates for agility ..they spend lots of trial time in there& I don't think it's fair to stuff them in a cramped crate then bring them out, ask them to jump, bend& run then stuff them back in cramped crate.

Even with a warm up& warm down, it just doesn't seem like a comfortable answer. I figure they work hard for us so the least we can do is give 'em lots of space! I guess if I wasn't asking for something physically demanding, it might be a little different. I just can't imagine being cramped then sprinting around then going right back to being cramped.
Exactly...this is why I have big crates. I think you could be setting yourself up an injury with your dog with a crate that is smaller than what the dog needs.

Can you get the EliteField brand soft crates? I can via amazon in the US and I've been very pleased with the quality and the price was way better.
That's what I have for the boys....and so far I have been happy with them. They are easy to put up and take down. This is exactly what I have but mine are blue.

http://www.amazon.com/EliteField-Be...90404087&sr=8-1&keywords=Elitefield+crate+dog

I have to laugh...I bought a Mountaineer so I could fit two 42" crates in the back and have room for two 42" collapsible crates to lug around on top of that. I had a jeep wrangler before that would hold just Lars and his gear. When Ocean showed up...I knew the car situation wasn't going to work anymore. LOL

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Dizzy what are the crufts rules on crates and benching? Can you bring a down instead?

What I would do would be find a breeder who has been there before and ask them about things.

DJEtzel

My dogs are usually out of their crates more than half the time that we're at a show.. I don't leave them in there, pull them to jump/run/course then put them back. I assumed at a large dog show it would be the same concept? Out for grooming, the show, etc. plus potty breaks and waiting would be out quite a bit?

If Frag can fit comfortably in a 36" crate I just don't see why a pointer wouldn't.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My dogs are usually out of their crates more than half the time that we're at a show.. I don't leave them in there, pull them to jump/run/course then put them back. I assumed at a large dog show it would be the same concept? Out for grooming, the show, etc. plus potty breaks and waiting would be out quite a bit?

If Frag can fit comfortably in a 36" crate I just don't see why a pointer wouldn't.
Dogs aren't really allowed to wander round too much, and it's huuuuuuuge. And the final day so will be VERY busy, lots of public spectators.

We will be there from 8am to 4pm minimum (you can't leave the building before 4pm if you are exhibiting!!!). Plus no outdoor potty areas!!!!! All indoor on sawdust!!!! Argh!!!

I just wanted a space he can go with a bone.

I only want him to lie down and chill in it, so doesn't need to be huge, but I want it to be usable.....

Dogs6

Plus One
Do they not have benching chains or something you could tie his lead to? Last time I was there there were people tethering dogs.

I'm (hopefully) going to crufts this year. I'll have to make a point of supporting Fred if I go!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Do they not have benching chains or something you could tie his lead to? Last time I was there there were people tethering dogs.

I'm (hopefully) going to crufts this year. I'll have to make a point of supporting Fred if I go!
You can chain but I want to cover him up.

If you go on the Sunday come and say hello!!

Members online