Show stacking question. Weight distribution!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
How can I get Fred to distribute his weight evenly when I stack him?

We are working on a better free stack, which is really helping as it means he places his front better and I just lengthen his back legs out a bit. Problem is this is heavily relying on bait at the moment, so involves me only having one hand free.

But if I need to adjust at all, he let's me move his feet happily, but he bends and contortes and looks wonky. And I notice he will tend to put his weight unevenly, so for eg, one shoulder will drop slightly, or he will tilt slightly.

He is good about his feet being moved etc, but I feel like I really knock him off kilter. I've tried turning his head to adjust his weight when I move his feet, but he doesn't seem to readjust and just freezes where I move him. I want him to relax into it more and stand perky....

Any tips?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've never done it but the owner of one of Auggie's half-brothers says she uses a clicker and basically just waits for the dog to shift his weight, and then she clicks and rewards for him shifting his weight where she wants it. Eventually the dog figures it out and she gets exactly the position she's looking for, and then puts that on a hand signal.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I've never done it but the owner of one of Auggie's half-brothers says she uses a clicker and basically just waits for the dog to shift his weight, and then she clicks and rewards for him shifting his weight where she wants it. Eventually the dog figures it out and she gets exactly the position she's looking for, and then puts that on a hand signal.
Well that's reassuring as that's basically what I'm trying to do at the moment. The problem is it relies on him getting it right quickly as you don't have much time. And we don't have any opportunities to practice in a show type environment unless it's at an actual show...

I need to be able to manoeuvre him if I have to.

But.... I'm deffo going to keep practicing with the clicker, and I guess just hope it all works on the day!!!

Honestly, this showing is HARD and STRESSFUL!! Lol. You think it would be simple............ :yikes:

Elrohwen

Do you hold his head or the collar? Definitely hold him sort of by the jowls if you're not already. Like you said, you want to move his head in the opposite direction of the foot you're picking up, then move it back to center to balance him.

To get his to push forward, try pulling back on his tail slowly and gently, then release. Most dogs will kind of spring forward when you do that (opposition reflex) and be sort of up on their toes, and then you can click and reward that forward movement.

If you are working on free stacking, you can certainly use bait as you don't need a hand to place his legs. Just use the bait to guide him left or right, depending on the foot that needs to move.

Have you taken handling classes? I'm having a hard time picturing him going wonky, but I'm sure someone in person could pinpoint your problem.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I hold his jowls!

Imagine bambi on ice. Or imagine placing bambi on ice one foot at a time and bambi is really cooperative and stands stock still but is clearly not at ease lol

Sadly the closest handling class to me was 40 mins away and I didnt really like it. And its not even running anymore.... :(

We did go when he was a puppy though, and the breeders have given me lots of hints and tips!

Last night we did make some progress with the baited free stack and he did push forward for it, which was easy to click... So I think we will keep doing that with teeny adjustments. Looks a lot better.

Elrohwen

Imagine bambi on ice. Or imagine placing bambi on ice one foot at a time and bambi is really cooperative and stands stock still but is clearly not at ease lol
:rofl1: Maybe with more practice and some physical maturity he will get more comfortable with it and not look so awkward?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well, we just did another session, and I've been clicking for correct front feet placement, and that seems to be going a lot better. I think if I get his front feet nice I can manhandle his back end more easily! Or I can work on his back end separately. We have till March to perfect this!!! And I'm trying to do a small session every day. I need to get to a point where he's offering it almost naturally so I only need to do teeny adjustments! Before I was almost fully trying to get him into place manually. The hard but will be doing it in situ, but it just dawned on me I have agility class weekly (when i can go) and there's tons of dogs and people so I can practice there when we aren't doing anything!!

And we've definitely had a breakthrough with his gaiting! He's moving forward now without trying to look at me :hail: and he's trotting now consistently!!

Can you tell I'm panicking a bit???!!! I don't care if we come last, as long as we come last not looking like COMPLETE amateurs!!!!

Elrohwen

The hard but will be doing it in situ, but it just dawned on me I have agility class weekly (when i can go) and there's tons of dogs and people so I can practice there when we aren't doing anything!!
That's actually a really good idea. I don't practice stacking nearly enough, so I should work on it during down time in agility.

And we've definitely had a breakthrough with his gaiting! He's moving forward now without trying to look at me :hail: and he's trotting now consistently!!
Yay!

Can you tell I'm panicking a bit???!!! I don't care if we come last, as long as we come last not looking like COMPLETE amateurs!!!!
I lost my shoe halfway around the ring at our last show, so I know that feeling! lol

Members online

No members online now.